Looking for some advice

Author
greenhead55
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 290
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/06 09:26:31 (permalink)

Looking for some advice

I am looking for some guidance on some of PA's streams. I am fairly new to fly fishing (2 years) and so is my father. We are looking to explore some of PA's waters in two and three day stretches. We are hoping to do this in April, May and possibly early June. We do tie the basic flies and are going to purchase dries. Because we are new I am not looking to fish the real difficult waters but we aren't looking for a fish for all either. Just want to explore and catch fish while enjoying being away from home/work. If showers are on at campgrounds we will probably stay in State camps with tents. Where do you guys with the knowledge think we should go and stay ? We will be doing these small trips preferably with two full days to fish each time. I'm not asking for spot burning but as much advice as you are willing to give. I know that we definitely want to fish Penn's. Also a trip to Renovo area would be nice. I am leaving this to you the experienced anglers to help us out. Thank you and your help is highly appreciated.

16 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 10:43:19 (permalink)
    Never actually did it, but from visits to the area, I always thought it'd be nice to do an extended weekend at Kettle Creek Park. From the park, several great "bigger name" streams are only a short trip away, and the entire area is crisscrossed by tiny little streams full of natives.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 11:00:03 (permalink)
    bald eagle sp is a very nice park with showers and is close to the central trout waters.

stevensons dam area sinnemahoning sp, has showers too.  it's on 1st fork is central to a lot of good water in that area

yough river and laurel hill area has many places to fish. ohiopyle sp has a nice campground and there is one at the base of the dam too, outflow camping, these are central to that area's fishing hot spots
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 12:05:18 (permalink)
    cold, i'll be heading that way most likely the third weekend of may. fri-sunday. usualy good & plenty hatches.
    clinton county and potter county usualy stock trout the week leading to this weekend and if it's crowded there are a few DHA & FFO area to feeesh.

kettle runs through ole bull campground and there's a state campground at the dam.

we found a free place to camp out if we get there early enough.

greenhead, if you're ever up towards cooks forest area let me know....
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/01/06 12:06:05

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 12:28:00 (permalink)
    I had a great time on the First Fork area of the Sinnemahoning this past year at that time DT. Stayed in Austin and fished the surrounding area for three solid days. Some said that the GD hatch was not up to par, but I thought it was great.

Did good with a standard and parachute royal wulff tied rust brown instead of red, sz. 12.
    flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 13:20:48 (permalink)
    Hey doubletaper live on the edge of cooks forest and fish the clarion, north fork, and of course the tionesta mite hook up with you someday, will be on the clarion with my new( used )Freedom Hawk kayak.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 13:46:18 (permalink)
    all of the above. Plus I'd put a day on the Yellow breeches on your list with a 30 minute stop at the Letort just to have a look. The 'springs', i.e. Big, Green, and another, are nearby, but I don't know how well they are fishing.

Little J and area would be on my list too.

Thanks
    Rick
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 18:01:49 (permalink)
    Sinnemahoning SP, Kettle Creek SP, Little Pine SP or camping in the many SF's.  You can shower at a campground for a couple of bucks.  Nothing like waking up next to a brookie stream.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/06 20:04:36 (permalink)
    If you decide to fish my neck o' the woods on the little Juniata, check out Green Hills Campround. The sites are cheap, the showers are clean, and you're a stones throw from the river.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/07 07:28:32 (permalink)
    cold, i'll be heading that way most likely the third weekend of may. fri-sunday. usualy good & plenty hatches.

Sounds like an awesome time. :) What kind of hatches do they get out there at Kettle, Young Womans, etc. at that time?
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/07 08:14:54 (permalink)
    usually see the beginning of a sulphur hatch, gray fox at noon. march browns, blue quill*, hendrickson's tan bodies. bwo. depending on the weather of course. small caddis work also; ginger body/light brown deer hair. smaller caddis with olive/green bodies.
    slate drakes and brown drakes sometimes. take emerger patterns and parachute patterns when the fish are skittish. 
    young womans creek are about the same minus the hendrickson's. terrestrials will work also on YWC on sunny days. there are lots of overhangs and fish waiting below.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/07 09:11:23 (permalink)
    Sounds like the makings of a perfect fishing weekend, there. Pack the 3wts and leave the lead at home!

I fished YWC last fall, and told myself I'd be back for dry fly season...but never made it. I'll have to change that this spring.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/07 22:52:18 (permalink)
    I was fishing on Little Mahoning Creek last Spring and ran into a gentleman who couldn't say enough about First Fork of Sinnemahoning. He also told me that before I die, I owe it to myself to fish Kettle Ck. So I'm making a point of putting some of those Northcentral streams on the 2011 bucket list.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/10 14:18:01 (permalink)
    I like going down to the small streams entering the Susky, you never know what you will catch. 4 pound tippet and nymphs sometimes big trout and even big carp which I almost never land. Plus the surroundings are amazing down there with the giant stone walls around you
    yeanic
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/12 07:02:15 (permalink)
    Dream Aquarium is a next-generation virtual aquarium & screen saver that brings the beauty of lush freshwater aquariums to your computer with unsurpassed realism.

--------------
    Fish tanks
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/01/12 14:30:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

I was fishing on Little Mahoning Creek last Spring and ran into a gentleman who couldn't say enough about First Fork of Sinnemahoning. He also told me that before I die, I owe it to myself to fish Kettle Ck. So I'm making a point of putting some of those Northcentral streams on the 2011 bucket list.

The first fork is great, as is the driftwood branch. The first fork holds water later into the year and there is always somewhere to fish. The driftwood branch holds good water into the end of May, but starts getting spotty after that and fishes better for smallmouth (great smallmouth stream BTW). I think the driftwood branch has partially recovered from the chemical spill, but best to check.

If you go up that way, there are lots of little streams that are worth fishing. You also have the Allegheny River about Port Allegheny (and especially up near coudersport) that is a great stream with lots of holdover fish.

Thanks
    Rick
    citysticker
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Looking for some advice 2011/02/05 15:55:15 (permalink)
    go to clarion, rent a canoe for $10, and catch all the trout and smalljaws you can handle. plenty of places to camp near the park
    Jump to: