Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/29 13:22:06 (permalink)

Virtual Fly Tying Sessions

Guys and Gals,
I've been looking into various ways to do virtual tying sessions through the use of a web cam. I've found a pretty good site that uses their software and servers to host a chat room if you would. The thing I ran into most is finding a site where visitors would not have to sign-up or download anything. Just type in your name (or any name for that matter) and your in. This site has it and it also has a pretty large viewing window - something else I had trouble finding. With this - you would be able to see and hear me as I tie a particular pattern. Also, as I go others could correct me on my mistakes.   I could set up a time and date that I would be able to do this and the first 10 people that sign on would be able to take part in it - it only allows 10 visitors.  So far, I've tested it with my son who has a mic and I could hear him and he could hear me and see me tying. If you don't have a mic - you can chat by typing in and clicking on send.
FlyGuy had this going on at flytyingforum with some great interest. So perhaps we can start this here.
Thing is - I'm not promising anything as far as this working since it takes some effort to set it all up the webcam, focus, ect. but I'm willing to give it a try if there is any interest. If it doesn't work - well perhaps it was worth a try. Let me know and I'll pursue it further and perhaps set something up.

If you want - you can pm me.
post edited by steely34 - 2010/12/29 13:27:13

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

2 Replies Related Threads

ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: Virtual Fly Tying Sessions 2010/12/30 10:36:53 (permalink)
    Steely,
    I would definitely be interested
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Virtual Fly Tying Sessions 2011/01/07 19:39:53 (permalink)
    So I tried this out with one of our fellow board members and it seemed to work out pretty well. He told me that the video was pretty good along with the sound. Problem I had was reaching around the #$%& webcam and lighting but oh well. So since I'll be tying tomorrow morning I thought I'd try it again with either a wet fly with married wings or a caddis with tea bag wings. Around 8am. You need a fast connection though to see it. And believe me - I'm only doing this so that perhaps we all could learn from each other. I know I got lots to learn!! And perhaps bring something a bit different to the site.
    Go to:
    http://www.superim.me/steely34
    Let things load up and when the screen appears - type in a name, any name, click on "Connect Now" and I'll get a message that your on and I'll let ya in. I'll be there till 9 and if ya think you'll be knockin on the door let me know before hand - I'd appreciate it. IT only allows 10 people in though. Then again - heck maybe no one will show. Just wish we could pass the morning coffee around though.
    post edited by steely34 - 2011/01/07 20:07:30

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: