New to Center pin

Author
DJ2007
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 523
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/25 22:46:33 (permalink)

New to Center pin

Just got a center pin reel for Christmas, and hoping to learn how to use it. Anyone have any advice or good websites/book/videos to learn from. Thanks

19 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/26 01:13:50 (permalink)
    Good videos on youtube of casting which to me is the biggest learning curve in pinning. This is a good sites for basics and some riggin. Good luck and i think you'll enjoy pinning!

http://www.floatfishingconnection.com

http://www.raventackle.com/Shotting%20Patterns.pdf
    post edited by avidangler - 2010/12/26 01:16:57

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/26 09:17:34 (permalink)
    Couple more sites below. However, I found that there is no better way to learn but to just do it and use the rig. There WILL be times that you lose confidence and will want to hang it up. It takes time. Practice casting in the yard, and try to hit some streams with little/no pressure...this is where you'll learn your own personal comfort zone....good luck!

http://www.fishsteelheadalley.com/index.php/techniques/methods/65-float-fishing
    http://www.centerpinangling.com/ - tackle

DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/26 15:53:06 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. What's a good rod to use without have to spend $ on a specialty rod? I have a noodle rod for GL tribs, but wanted to practice with something smaller on some trout streams.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/26 18:23:22 (permalink)
    Bass Pro has the 6 Rivers for under $100...its 11'6" very comparable to the St. Croix Wild River. I use it for just about everything on smaller creeks and rivers. The sliding rings make it nice to move your reel around for optimal balance too. Also just got my son a 9'6" B&M rod with sliding rings for x-mas, seems to have decent action and priced right. Would be perfect for trout with a pin....I found it on ebay, but do a search if interested and I'm sure you could find one online somewhere.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/12/26 18:24:00

Mr Twister
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/26 22:47:15 (permalink)
    Shut up is right about about the six rivers. it is an awsome rod for the price. I very good friend lent me his on a couple of trips and i loved it. just got one for christmas.
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/26 22:50:44 (permalink)
    Cool. I'll look into them. Thanks!
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/27 21:15:19 (permalink)
    Whats the best method to learn how to cast? When practicing do you just use backing and a shot line? Thanks Again!
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/27 22:24:40 (permalink)
    I'm anything but a centerpin casting pro but at the local lake I used a small plastic bobber just for weight to cast from a pier. For some reason I had a lot more tangles on still water than on a river.

I would also perhaps just put some cheap line on the reel for practice casting. It is quite possible you may have some professional overruns on the spool that may need cut away. No sense throwing expensive line away.

When the creeks are open again even if you can't cast the outfit take it with you. Let out 10 feet of line and throw it out anyway you can and it should get you out far enough on any Pa.  stream to catch fish.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/28 09:36:04 (permalink)
    You dont want to use just the backing spool it up with some cheaper line so that the spool is full that way you'll know how it acts with a full spool. As for casting, I put a lot of time into spin casting my pin, I would try this first and if you get frustrated with it try again. If you watch this VIDEO it will give you the dynamics on how the spin cast or modified wallis cast works. There is a learning curve but once you get it you'll have no problem repeating it. Also if you get to Erie some time this winter pm I live in north east I'd be more then willing to meet you on the water for a day.
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/28 12:17:31 (permalink)
    Great. Thanks for all the help. Appreciate the offer pa, I'll let u know.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/28 16:35:09 (permalink)
    I agree..practice casting the proper way from the get go. Side casting is easier, but will eventually cause you many problems with line twist. This may, however, be your only option if you want to get started with the method immediately. If this is the case, you'll have to deal with line twist and possibly sacrificing some spools of line before their time.

Finally, you WILL get frustrated and a point WILL come when you question why you're even getting into this. There were times when I first started, that my hand would cramp and the reel did not feel comfortable in my hand. I almost sold it all. One day it just finally clicked and keep in mind that it DOES NOT come overnight. However, when you finally DO get comfortable with the set-up, you WILL feel the rewards of all your efforts of mastering this method. For me it has been well worth it and I typically don't even think of grabbing anything but my pin set-up when fishing moving water anymore.

-Good luck and if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM.

DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/28 23:03:39 (permalink)
    So to cast, your basically just pulling line down (out/away) from the reel, while swinging the rod toward a target area, all while controlling the reel similar to a baitcaster? I watched the video 3 times, and am a little confused.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/28 23:52:16 (permalink)
    Sounds easy,how fast to get the reel spinning,when to stop it,how hard to lob it out there,it won't take long on water to figure it out.you got the basics.As far as the rod,the Wild river is a great choice,some day i will fish mine.It is a little stiff for stockies,a noodle works great.Don't know if you have the time,but Friday i am heading to the Yough to give the new switch rod a try,you are more than welcome to ride along and i will bring the pin and get you going on the casting and a few more secrets.
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/29 12:24:32 (permalink)
    I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I have to work Friday. I live fairly close to the yough too!
    noodle one
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: New to Center pin 2010/12/30 10:03:48 (permalink)
    I know a lot of people on here will disagree with what i have to say about line twist. I don't care what kind of casting someone does (wallis cast, pull side cast,or just plain side cast, there is going to be line twist. That is the nature of the beast. To me line twist is to over rated. A lot of people are always putting down others for side casting. If you watch others center pinning you will find that 90% of pinners side cast 90% of the time. Some people will tell you need to learn the wallis or side pull cast to be able to cast without line twist and be able to make longer cast. I say this a lot of bull. Most people spend many hours tring to learn the wallis and or pull side cast and can not master it. They just get frustrated with all the bird nest they get in their line and they give up and say to hell with it, because of this a lot of people will sell or put their center pin away and never use it again. I hope that what I have to say next will help you. The side cast is the easiest way to learn how to cast the center pin. There is a right way and a wrong way to side cast and you must learn the difference. Most people think of the side cast as casting the pole out to the side with the line coming off the side of the reel. Yes, this will work but not very good and it will give you more line twist. First you need to cast over the top just like you would with the willis cast but, having the line coming off the side or face of the reel. You also need to learn how to set up your float with a small swivel above the float and then your shot line and an other small swivel to your leader. I also use a casting aid, not my hand so there is no restrictions to the line. Some one can learn to cast a center pin in (5) five min. this way using a casting aid. With this set up I can stand next to someone useing the wallis cast and cast as far and put it where I want it. with little or no line twist. If you want to know more send me a pm.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Center pin 2011/01/04 16:10:50 (permalink)
    Lemme guess..."The Pin Loop"?

Hey, whatever works for you and what you're most comfortable with is what its about concerning casting. However, over time, there is no reason why you wouldn't learn various casting methods. Especially for various situations. For example, it is tougher side casting a pin set-up in small tight areas. Also, once anyone masters the pull cast vs. the side cast, there is no way the smoothness, distance and accuracy of the casts come close in comparison as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who masters the basic pull cast, typically never goes back to or uses the side cast....why? And those who don't master the pull cast, IMO are simply stubborn or not trying hard enough (Its just NOT that difficult). Its ALL in the timing
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/01/04 16:12:21

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: New to Center pin 2011/01/04 16:24:47 (permalink)
    I rarely and I mean rarely side cast anymore. I have nothing against noodle one and pin loop it gets people "fishing" faster, but the pull cast is hands down one of the coolest feelings when you get it dialed.
    JoeySimms
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: New to Center pin 2011/01/13 14:25:10 (permalink)
    I agree with the above.

to put in laymen terms, wallis or pull casting involves you spinning the reel to release line while simultaneously loading the rod to propel the amount of line coming off the reel.  The harder you spin the reel, the more force you will have to put into your cast to avoid line tangle.  Just like a fly cast, it involves feel and technique, and surely won't come over night.

Winter steel are stupid... I slapped the water with my float quite a few times attempting to wallis and still landed fish. 

Joey
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: New to Center pin 2011/01/27 11:31:39 (permalink)
    I bought a Whoopin Stick that was 9+ feet and it works well for me on smaller stocked streams, rod is a little short to keep line off of the water, but it works ok.

Jump to: