Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/03 19:16:07 (permalink)

are lake fish safe for eating?

I know it seems like a dumb question after knowing the answer well over 20 years but, has the recommended health consumption advisory been updated for better or worse for steelies, browns..I do not care for the salmon anymore. Will be going up soon with a friend for a few days. If I should decide to keep one for eating, what is the safest bet for lowering exposure to the concentrated  chemicals that may be in these lake ontario fish? I know I can reduce the risk of contamination by amply trimming off the belly flaps and skinning and V cutting out the lateral line dark meat.Also do not deep fry fillets but rather  grill it so that the toxic drippings are released lowering the health risk even more. Also, eat no more than 1/2 lb of a fish per month and eat none no bigger than 23 inches or 2 to 5 lbsor something like that! MAN I'M GETTING HUNGRIAR AS I TYPE!  I think I'll go catch and release ! lol

33 Replies Related Threads

JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 00:06:33 (permalink)
    Better off going to the supermarket for your table fare
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 00:24:25 (permalink)
    Yeah- what he said.

Lyrical
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 00:40:08 (permalink)
    What septic system in South America or Taiwan do fish in the supermarket come from?

What is the point of taking a whole fish and put it in a grinder before testing it?
    You don't eat those parts so only test the filet-Unless you are pratcing to be on fear factor.

Runoff water from a fish farm is also known as liquid fertilizer.

youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 01:18:23 (permalink)
    thay ar sayf too eet
    thets wat thay ar forr
    too eet

trusst mee
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 04:22:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

What septic system in South America or Taiwan do fish in the supermarket come from?

What is the point of taking a whole fish and put it in a grinder before testing it?
    You don't eat those parts so only test the filet-Unless you are pratcing to be on fear factor.

Runoff water from a fish farm is also known as liquid fertilizer.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you eat them then? LOL!
    I eat a Great Lakes fish, or two a year. I probably wouldn't kill those if my dad didn't enjoy them so much.
    The Supermarket thing. Watch where it comes from. Some from China and all that. Screw them! I buy farm raised Atlantic Salmon if it's from a trustworthy soarce. Chile fish are safe I think. I've never heard of a recall.
    I think Atlantic Salmon is the BOMB, but I would never deliver the coup de gras on a wild one.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 06:13:54 (permalink)
    Salmo:
    Atlantic Salmon are the only fish that are never farm raised
    your best fish are the above or Alaskian Salmon which are also NOT farm raised.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2007/11/04 06:14:43

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 11:10:28 (permalink)
    Farm raised fish or shrimp are like a sponge.
    They have no taste of their own but take on the flavor of what they are cooked in.

Wild cought are the ones to buy
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 11:18:43 (permalink)
    HT-  There are commercial rearing operations for both Atlantic Salmon (Norwey, Maine, BC) and Pacific Salmon (BC, West Coast USA, Chile), and if you buy atlantic salmon in a store, it almost certainly came from one of these large floating fish farms, or off a trawler putting a hurting on remaining wild stocks.

L13
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 13:06:39 (permalink)

Farm raised fish or shrimp are like a sponge.
    They have no taste of their own but take on the flavor of what they are cooked in.

Wild cought are the ones to buy

Yeah that's it- Kill off what remains of the already depleted wild stocks.
    Good Day Sir.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 16:08:48 (permalink)

really.....
    i had read an article from TU last spring which had explained the issues of farm raised fish
    they showed the future farms as off shore floating fish nets with elevators and living quarters.
    anyhow what it went on to say was Atlantics were not raised and Alaska salmon was neither
    it explained the chilie and china nastiness
    guess it's already outdated

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    JeffL
    New Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/04 16:42:34 (permalink)
    Salmo- Unfortunately I agree with the BUY WILD thing. Farm raised salmon are escaping and breeding with the wild stock and then depleting the gene pool. There is a lot of negative impact by farm raised salmon. Best salmon food fare is fresh sockeye from Alaska. Expensive but worth it. 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/05 00:21:44 (permalink)
    Hadn't thought of that, but man I hate to see a Wild Atlantic in a store. 

Lyrical
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/05 00:25:33 (permalink)
    Farm raised fish are for people that shop the seafood section at Wallyworld.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/05 08:52:33 (permalink)
    I have heard, but haven't confirmed, that fish caught in the oceans of the world are not tested.  Anyone know if that is true or not?  One other concern I have with the Great Lakes fish is that they are only tested for certain contaminants.  The Great Lakes are loaded with a multitude of contaminants and it could be the one you don't know about that is the one that bites you back.
    JeffL
    New Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/05 10:33:47 (permalink)
    I do not believe there is a wild atlantic commercial fishery. The wild fish I speak of are Pacifics. 
    fly1on
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/05 11:37:25 (permalink)
    There are farm raised atlantics at my grocery store here in Vermont. They pen them out in the ocean and the pollution and disease is so bad that just before they kill them, they feed them orange pellets so the meat is colorful. They are nothing but poison, and destrying the eco system for the wild fish as well. (i'm not that smart...just watch PBS! LOL_) The only fish I will kill and eat are wild brook trout deep in the wilds. there are tons of them and they are tasty!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/06 01:05:28 (permalink)

Farm raised fish are for people that shop the seafood section at Wallyworld.

LOL- I don't go there for anything.

Lyrical
    FreshSteelfeel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/06 15:07:49 (permalink)
    Eating those wild brook trout sounds so bad.... theres few of them and the populations are decreasing well enough without you and others eating them up as lil fish sticks.. let those wild trout grow we need more wild/native things back on this earth..
    fly1on
    New Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/06 19:12:23 (permalink)
    freshsteel
    I know what your saying about killing wild trout. Areas that many people fish and each take a few ends in no fish at all. There is a cycle to the wild brook trout that live deep in the forest ponds. here in VT. Those ponds have a limited cycle as well depending on the beaver that create them. The pond is born the trout live until the beaver leaves for greener pastures, the pond fills in to the point all trout die usually due to otter predation when the pickings are so easy. Killing and eating trout in a limited number has never harmed that eco system. my great grandfather fished these deep woods ponds, my grandfather and so on down to my son and daughter Nothing has changed and the population is as healthy as ever. The notion that all wild trout must be released is simply false. The ponds that will be dead in 10 more years, and the fish that we did not harvest will die naturally. The beavers will move a mile over and the process will begin again. P.S . We usually dont call a 17 inch fat brook trout with blood red meat and healthy mercury free protein a fishstick!
    There are thousands of these trout, we kill about a dozen a year. We never advocate harming any population of fish.
    fly1on
    New Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/06 19:36:25 (permalink)
    When I was a fly fishing guide in North Maine we did some pond surveys with the help of the biologists. We were thinking of reducing the allowed kill limit and wanted some expert feedback. They told us that in most of the ponds the best thing to do was to increase the harvest to promote a healthier stock!The ponds (if your curious) were upper and lower Yoke ponds, as well as birch ridge, Big boardman, and Mountain view pond. Its not all black and white is all im saying. I certainly wouldnt eat a salmonid taken from any lake ontario tribuatary, nor from any Lake Champlain tributary on our VT side, those are mainly stocked fish....I wonder how much damage they contribute to the decimation of healthy wild trout all in the name of making the local fisherpeople happy to have lots of inferior fish to catch?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/07 00:37:55 (permalink)
    I'd love to fish some of these Brookie ponds I keep reading about.

Lyrical
    fly1on
    New Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/07 11:27:21 (permalink)
    Hey salmotrutta,
    The way to do it is to get a topo map or recent arial photo. You may not exactly see the ponds but you can see water and drainage. you have to go deep, far from any roads to where people simply never go save for the odd very hardcore hunter. Walk along the base of ridges until you come across a trickle of a stream and start following it upstream. Sometimes you find a pond, and sometimes you dont. We always keep our eyes out for beaver sign. If nothing pans out, we look for Ginseng and Spruce gum!

I'll even tell you where I go. Summerset and Stratton VT.looking at a map you can see theres alot of forest out there. Behind Summerset Reservoir there are hundreds of these ponds in varying stages of decline...fresh beaver means fat trout! I have heard the same is true for the Adirondaks in NY.

Tight lines! I'm headed over to S.R and Oak Nov 23-25
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/08 00:28:06 (permalink)
    Cool. Thanks for the info.. I will be doing some research for next year....

Lyrical
    JeffL
    New Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/08 10:26:33 (permalink)
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/338556_salmon07.html

Very good article on Farm Raised vs Wild salmon
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/08 13:02:20 (permalink)
    Cool read Jeff. I just can't agree with killing Wild Atlantics. They are in Peril. 

Lyrical
    Lipsticker2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/08 13:42:59 (permalink)
    The Washington state dept of fisheries has declared open season on Atlantic Salmon. They have escaped in the past from fish farms, and are now begining to appear in the steelhead rivers in the Seattle area. They ask that you not release any atlantic caught. No limit, no seasons.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/08 22:29:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lipsticker2

The Washington state dept of fisheries has declared open season on Atlantic Salmon. They have escaped in the past from fish farms, and are now begining to appear in the steelhead rivers in the Seattle area. They ask that you not release any atlantic caught. No limit, no seasons.

That is understandable. Those are not native to that area. That is the land of Pacific Salmonoids.....

Lyrical
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/09 10:18:56 (permalink)
    i have read where farm raised salmon were unhealthy to eat due to the feed they were given.  it was so full of chemicals that there was the risk of cancer and birth defects.  also see where giant eagles' seafood freezers have been taken over by the chinese.  (date****fish fillets?).

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: are lake fish safe for eating? 2007/11/09 10:34:15 (permalink)
    (date****fish fillets?).

WTF
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: