Fly Vise recommendations

Author
Tracker12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 174
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/02 10:50:40 (permalink)

Fly Vise recommendations

After 4 years of trying to figure out this fly fishing stuff I think it is time to start tying.  Problem is there is a lot of options and everyone has there own opinion.  I have been told to buy a beginner set and then move up but I have found in the past that does not work for me.  I like quality and would rather invest in a nice vise at the get to.  I do want a rotary style. Whats the recommendations?
post edited by Tracker12 - 2010/12/02 19:12:04

29 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/02 11:28:36 (permalink)
    this is cool
    vise with tools in a package

http://www.peakfishing.com/VisePackages.html

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/02 11:36:51 (permalink)
    That's a good deal.
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/02 13:12:11 (permalink)
    The "Peak" is actually one of the vises I have been looking at.  Was hoping a current owner may chime in on this thread.  It has great reviews but a local shop I go to occasionally complained that it was to bulky.  No wonder they do not sell that brand and were pushing the Renzette Traveler.
    post edited by Tracker12 - 2010/12/02 19:12:45
    jaybo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/02 20:35:28 (permalink)
    I've had a Peak Rotary for the past 3 years and have been exceptionally pleased with it.  The machining and quality are top notch.  I would recommend the brass screw kit if you get one, it should be standard IMHO.  I added a D-arm as well, which really makes using the rotary much easier.  Neither are required, but I would recommend both if you can swing it.  I didn't need the tools since I've been accumulating them over the years. For a starter kit, this one looks hard to beat considering the quality of vice and what I would expect from the tools.  I would buy one again and I have recommended them.  The standard jaws work well on size 2-20 hooks, if you are going to tie smaller than that, I would definately recommend the midge jaws. It makes tying 18-and smaller much easier. 

Renzetti Traveler should always be a standard consideration when looking at vises. Regal would be another to consider, but up in price range.  A friend has a Montana Mongoose by Griffin that he's been very pleased with, that may be worth a look. 

Hope this helps.
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/03 17:30:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the review on the Peak.  It is still a top consideration.  I also have been looking at a Regal that TU is offering for a $150 donation.  That vise is  normally 250.
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 09:24:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the recommendations.  I decided to go with the HMH Spartan.  Now I need to start accumulating soome tools and tying material.  Any particular brand of tools that have a reputaion of being of higher quality.
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Fly Vise recommendations 2010/12/10 12:25:14 (permalink)
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 12:38:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tracker12

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I decided to go with the HMH Spartan.  Now I need to start accumulating soome tools and tying material.  Any particular brand of tools that have a reputaion of being of higher quality.

Dr. Slick and Matarelli are known to be high quality, but to start out you don't have to spend a mint. Lower priced whip finishing tools have worked fine for me. If they have some little burs, buy a little sheet of some really fine sandpaper, like 800 grit, and polish it up. You can also bend whip finishing tools a little if the thread slips off the end hook.

Get yourself a good set of all around scissors, like Dr. Slicks, and a cheaper pair of slightly heavier tying scissors for cutting wire, the leather of zonker strips etc. Low quality bobbins will often fray or cut thread, so its worth the money to get a nice bobbin. I like ceramic ones.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 13:03:54 (permalink)
    I'll second the Dr. Slicks.

For cutting wire, I picked up a cheap pair of side cutters from a craft store. I guess they use them to make craft jewelry, I use em to cut ultrawire.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 13:20:50 (permalink)
    Cold- I have a pair of those too, and they do work good. The little round tipped jewelry pliers work well for grabbing beads too.

Tracker: You can make your own bodkin pretty easily too. All you really need is a pieve od dowel and a big azz needle. Drill a hole into the dowel, plop some zap a gap or superglue in there and push the needle into the hole. Use a pieve of deer antler or nice hardwood to make a little fancier of a bodkin.

A dowel with a loop of high-test mono glued into a drilled hole makes a good bobbin threader as well.

OHWM
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 18:00:11 (permalink)
    Flyguy638
    That is a very nice kit.  If I would have seen that earlier it may have been a consideration.  Thanks for the recommendations.  Going to be fun setting this up.
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 19:56:40 (permalink)
    I second the recommendation for getting good, quality scissors. that's one tool you don't want to skimp on. Nothing ratchets up the frustration level faster than crappy, dull scissors. 

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/10 20:25:05 (permalink)
    I was leaning toward Dr Slick scissors but still not sure on Bobbin. 
    2bFlyfishin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/11 21:21:03 (permalink)
    Tracker,
    I use either Griffin or Jstockard ceramic bobbins...the Jstockard bobbins are almost identical to the Dr. slicks with the pink ceramic tips and Delrin feet...at considerably less cost than the Slicks, just picked up a set of Dr. Slick Razor scissors....best that I have ever used hands down, but I watch what I cut with them and I think if you were em out you can send them back and have them resharpened and reconditioned if it ever comes to that, I think it will probably be the last pair you'll ever have to invest in. The Slick stuff is the best in quality though to in my opinion.....just sayin!
    Ginnis
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/12 11:19:27 (permalink)

get a quality bobbin as well... if not, you'll shred lighter thread at first
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/12 11:57:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ginnis

get a quality bobbin as well... if not, you'll shred lighter thread at first

And this is frustrating beyond measure. I've tried using diamond polishing compound and twine to polish the barrel of cheap bobbins, but it only works marginally. The cheap Orvis bobbins, I can't remember the model name, will cut 6/0 thread with ease. Even if you're careful they fray the thread, and who the hell wants fuzzy tying thread?

OHWM
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/12 17:42:29 (permalink)
    I just got the pettijean bobbin about 2 months ago
    is rather on the expencive side but the inovations rock
    you can thread these bobbins with even looking at it.
    built of quilty stainless steel i promise you won't need
    another. P.S. i requested another one for christmas.ff46

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/13 07:08:31 (permalink)
    Those are really nice bobbins. Once I get a hang of tying I may look towards getting one of those. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2010/12/13 07:47:46 (permalink)
    Everyone talks about the cheapy bobbins sucking...for me it's been just the opposite. More often than not, I leave my ceramic tipped bobbins and rite bobbin on the rack and tie with the regular old griffin standard metal tubed bobbin. For me, it just feels the most comfortable to use, and I haven't broken thread in a long time due to the bobbin tube.

Just my 2 cents on it.
    ursulak
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/01 06:31:12 (permalink)
    Hello!

I suggest taking a look at Kerzic's vises: http://sl-si.facebook.com/pages/Sava-Fly-Tying-Vises/183726381655870
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/01 18:13:52 (permalink)
    I tried a lot of the new style of vises on the market before I bought my last one & I bought a regal because all of the new style like peak & dan vise all hold the hook down & close to the rest of the vise & my big paws do fit that close to try to hold material so if you have big hands you may want to try some ones before you buy I was sure glad I did.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/02 07:53:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Everyone talks about the cheapy bobbins sucking...for me it's been just the opposite. More often than not, I leave my ceramic tipped bobbins and rite bobbin on the rack and tie with the regular old griffin standard metal tubed bobbin. For me, it just feels the most comfortable to use, and I haven't broken thread in a long time due to the bobbin tube.

Just my 2 cents on it.

i agree, except for cleaning the wax out of the bobbin tube occasionally, the cheaper metal tube bobbin feels and works great. i also have two different lengths.
    i would rather spend my money on a good pair of scissors. i have never tried dr. slick's. i found the scissors i have that were made in Italia are the best yet to hold an edge. now if i knew where to get another. 

make that 4 cents

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 18:18:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fishenfool46

I just got the pettijean bobbin about 2 months ago
    is rather on the expencive side but the inovations rock
    you can thread these bobbins with even looking at it.
    built of quilty stainless steel i promise you won't need
    another. P.S. i requested another one for christmas.ff46

i really like my pettijean.... but i think the C&Fs are still my favorite

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 21:16:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

ORIGINAL: Cold

Just my 2 cents on it.

i agree, except for cleaning the wax out of the bobbin tube occasionally, the cheaper metal tube bobbin feels and works great. i also have two different lengths.
    i would rather spend my money on a good pair of scissors. i have never tried dr. slick's. i found the scissors i have that were made in Italia are the best yet to hold an edge. now if i knew where to get another. 

make that 4 cents

Agree with Cold and DT..... I have gone tried several different bobbins - along with the Pettijean. Even though I spent the $ on it - I'm not really sold on it. Yeah it's easy to load but I found that with 14/0 thread, it frays easy when loading it at the tip. I still use it though from time to time but I agree with KJ that my favorite is still the C & F's.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 21:20:52 (permalink)
    the pettijean is for my flat waxed and 6/0... it really doesn't like the small stuff
    its also not good with small hooks

those C&Fs are primo with 14/0

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 21:25:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

make that 4 cents

I tie mostly with UTC, so for me the wax is a non-issue. UTC is prone to fraying, but even with it, I've had little issue with thread breaking.

Just picked up another cheapie today...little tiny holder for my Pearsall's spools. I have yet to actually use it to tie a fly, but that'll happen soon enough.

I've only ever used Dr. Slick scissors, and then cheap ones for less-precise applications, but I've heard good things about Anvil scissors as well.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 21:30:20 (permalink)
    Yep - I totally agree with that KJ. I found that when you get to 8/0 and down the thread frays when you load it at the tip like I mentioned. If I would have know that when I bought it, I probably wouldn't have spent the money. Marc had a good idea though when he came up with it. Wish I would have thought of it - probably would be retired by now. I would only have charged $25 for it.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 21:33:09 (permalink)
    You'll like that little cheapy Cold. I've had one for some time now for just the reason you bought yours.

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Vuse recommendations 2011/03/06 23:41:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steely34

You'll like that little cheapy Cold. I've had one for some time now for just the reason you bought yours.

Yeah, I think so. Didn't realize I'd find one this soon, and just last night spent forever transferring a spool of it onto a regular sized spool for use with my regular size bobbin holders. Tonight I spent even more time getting all of that silk back on the original spool.

Now I'm just kind of kicking myself for not picking up a half dozen or so, for how cheap they were.
    Jump to: