LockedWhatchya seeing out there?

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/18 10:28:19 (permalink)

Whatchya seeing out there?

Hunting in southern Butler County on a few farm ponds the past 2 mornings for a few hours, I've been really surprised at the good numbers of mallards that seem to be around. In my scouting the previous few weeks, I hadn't seen nearly the number of ducks I'm seeing now.

Wondering if they're early migrators or resident birds I somehow overlooked.

Geese numbers seem to up a little from last year at this time too, but I haven't put out any goose dekes yet because these have been quick hunts for me - in and out and home before my wife heads to work. Tomorrow might provide a little longer for me to hunt.

Seems like it might be a pretty good season, if I could learn to shoot straight. I should've been done by 7 AM yesterday with my 4 mallards (I rarely see anything else). Today I got a late start and whiffed on some jump shooting

Just wondering what everybody else is seeing out there and how hunts are going.

20 Replies Related Threads

blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/18 21:36:34 (permalink)
    I have been hitting up Geneva swamp and on Tuesday morning we saw an awesome sight all we heard was the swooshing of wings and my buddy and i were stunned to see about 150 ducks hard to tell what they were but my buddy is an avid duck hunter he said they looked to be mallards we were in shock we just stared at the flock flying over.

i tried hitting a teal but it hauling the mail and missed a couple local woodies but that sight of all those ducks was something else i cant wait to get out again.

I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/18 22:46:14 (permalink)
    ive been seeing tons of geese around but havent had much time to get after them went out tuesday and had one flock come in and got one outta the flock and missed another one saw three other flocks but they were headed to a field elsewhere gotta get some time to scout did find a nice little swamp back in the woods that the beavers are flooding with some dams saw mallards flying around there gonna hit that saturday morning hopefully for some good shooting
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/19 11:23:06 (permalink)
    Decided to give my gun a good cleaning last night, and get all the misses out   Paid off as I finally washed the skunk off this morning.  Funny too, 'cause on my way in, there was a very strong skunk smell not too far from where I set up.   

Had several birds come into the puddle I was hunting in pairs & groups of 3 or 4 right before LST.  Probably had close to 20 birds in front of me.  Let 'em settle for a bit and waited about 20 minutes while they swam laps around the puddle.  Really, really cool to watch them feeding, socializing and to hear their feeding chuckles and chatter.

Was about to jump 'em up, but one drake made me out and lifted off.  I dropped him, and picked out two more drakes as the flock was climbing and dropped them too.   

My lab Hank was pretty happy to finally get a few retrieves in, though they were about the easiest ones he's ever made. 

blaze, I hear you about the wings.  I was very well hidden next to this little puddle, and the birds coming in were mostly silent, but those wings were whistling loud as they were coming in 10 & 20 feet over my head.  Such a cool sound. 

Saw a few more high flying flocks after that and a few small groups of geese. 

What a beautiful morning to be out.  I know by most standards, that's not a stellar bag of ducks, but it was my best duck hunt ever.  Had a couple of two bird days before, but never 3.  And I was pretty happy after the last 2 days to do it in 3 shots. 

post edited by rsquared - 2010/11/19 13:02:37
    sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/19 18:09:57 (permalink)
    sounds like the gun cleaning worked out for ya maybe i should try that lol congrats on the duck hunt gonna give it a shot tomorrow taking my little brother in law out hopefully we get lots of shooting cause he gets bored really quick good luck on the ducks
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/20 09:42:38 (permalink)
    Got my first banded bird this morning. The online band reporting is slick. Found out in a matter of minutes that it was banded in Ontario in 2006. Even better was that I had my best hunting buddy with me.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/20 18:36:18 (permalink)
     Cool beans Dave,

Lots of Swans, Coots some Geese & a few ducks seen today. The fat Bass, jumbo Perch & Pike made up for the slow day of ducks on the wing for us.

Gotta Love your hunting buddy
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/21 17:32:22 (permalink)
    funny thing crappiefisher , we saw the same exact things yesterday , but easily 90 duck rather than just a few .. but im beginning to think that where hunt im only gonna see hooded megansers ... im slowly learning to be way more selective with my shooting
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/23 15:01:53 (permalink)
    I cant wait to get out there i have off all week from college and ready to wack em and stack em

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/24 09:39:59 (permalink)
    Only took one goose so far here in South Butler county..

Gonna give it a shot tomorrow morning before the bird goes in the oven...

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/27 23:58:31 (permalink)
    had a good morning friday for geese i got four nice honkers and my little brother in law got one and he definetly got lots of shooting its funny how mad he gets when he misses and i them i tell him this is his first year hunting and practice makes perfect really enjoy taking him out goose hunting i think he gets over excited when they are locked up and coming right into the decoys but then again who doesnt
    kristmas725
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/28 18:07:05 (permalink)
    if anyones plannin on huntin at wilhelm your goin to see like 98% of the birds that fly over are hooded mergansers, thats all ive gotten cuz thats were ive been cuz the river is to high at the moment... a few mallards & shovelers from time to time tho... geese r there just about every day tho if u want some of them... theyre all still fun to shoot tho... went to geneva yesterday (last day till after deer, for goose anyway) & saw some ducks & got a goose. not on the swamp just down at the iron grate bridge were the little dam is.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/11/29 10:23:28 (permalink)

Pro Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/02 19:32:50 (permalink)
    Had an hour this morning before I had to get going for the day. Decided to see if the weather the last couple days brought some new birds to one of my puddles.

Scratched out a mallard drake, and missed a couple. Not a lot on this puddle this morning, but a quick drive around my area showed lots more geese - even though they're off limits right now - and a good number more mallards than last week.

Gonna give it another go tomorrow at another puddle at my buddy's house right up the road. Said he's been seeing some mallards the past few days on his pond - not a ton, but it only takes 4 good shots for a limit of 'em

Deer can wait till Saturday. Finally hit a point in my hunting career where I prefer ducks over deer. Or maybe it's that I prefer hunting with my lab over not hunting with him. Either way, gotta hunt those ducks before my puddles freeze over and are done for the year. Just too nice being out the door and having my spread set up within 20 minutes.

Got a doe tag for 2B so I have lots of time to fill a deer tag. Antlers are nice, but venison is venison.

sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/02 22:00:22 (permalink)
    i agree with u rsquared i would definetly go after the ducks and geese over deer anyday i gave up archery hunting cause it was just to hectic to try and do both way more action with the waterfowl in my opinion
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/03 17:16:10 (permalink)
    I hope genva doesn't freeze up anytime soon

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/05 07:55:53 (permalink)
    A lot of ducks on small ponds take may be frozen over soon,and flock after flock of snows.
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/05 08:06:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blaze16412

I hope genva doesn't freeze up anytime soon

As of yesterday the 4th it was starting to freeze & now we are suppossed to get a foot of snow by Tues.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/05 22:31:56 (permalink)
    just when the hunting starts to get good and the birds start to show up its gotta freeze up really wish i lived in the south so i didnt have to deal with the ice nothing worse than busting it up to get some open water for the decoys
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/06 09:13:08 (permalink)
    There was a large flock of swans at Shenango Sat. 3 different groups lifted up around 10.
    Saw a ton of geese. Few ducks. Most were beside rt. 18. Looked to be mergansers.

blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    RE: Whatchya seeing out there? 2010/12/06 16:21:05 (permalink)
    maybe gonna have to find some flooded corn fields by french creek and shoot some ducks and geese 

Jump to: