Crazy

Author
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/17 19:41:28 (permalink)

Crazy

Me and my friends are wanting to try ice fishing this year. We need to know a couple things, what is needed to fish, what baits work, and where good places are to fish.

When i ask what is needed to fish i mean anything necessary, if its not really necessary im not to worried because we dont have the extra money to spend on it.

And for good places i dont need exact spots, but lakes that will be good for a couple fish would be nice, i live in washington county, we would be willing to drive about 2 hours away.

Thanks for any information

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern

11 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/17 21:32:25 (permalink)
    You can get by with very little if you want. Look around and you can probably find a used hand auger for a couple of bucks. Keed it sharp and it will cut through ice pretty quick. Ice rods make it nice but you can get by with ultra lights.

You can catch alot of different fish on minnies.

I used to go all the time and loved it but got away from it lately.
    post edited by rollcaster - 2010/11/17 21:33:35
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/18 07:27:15 (permalink)
    Small jigs. Grubs....or minnows (or minnow heads)

A way to get out of the wind or a lot of clothing.

A jigging rod, ultralight or even hand line.

An auger is nice to have, but a ice chisel works just as well if you can't make an investment. You can also fish popular spots and use someone else's old hole.

MOST OF ALL !!! SAFETY EQUIPMENT !!! ICE PICKS,SPIKES FOR YOUR SHOES, EXTRA CLOTHES, ROPE AT LEAST 50', AND ALWAYS TRY AND FISH WITH A BUDDY. LET SOMEONE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND IF YOU DOUBT THE ICE CONDITIONS....STAY OFF THE ICE.

My favorite spots are misery bay (anywhere in misery). Pymy off the dam or out of manning launch. Conneaut lake off the commission launch. Woodcock right up on the dam (when safe !!). Tamarack is a beautiful place to go, but I have very little luck there. Canadota is hit or miss for me. Wilhelm can be productive for me off launch #3 or the marina.

I typically try and fish around other people or at least in the vicinity of other people. Watch them and learn from them. Don't be afraid to ask a fellow ice fisherman questions. It is a whole different world than fishing the open soft water the rest of the year. I love talking to people when out on the ice. Misery bay is almost a social gathering at times.

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    riverrunsthrume
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/19 10:42:58 (permalink)
    The safety equipment is a must and take a buddy. We have a power auger. Hand augers are cheaper and way more work. Since we have gone to power we never went back. I have been using fishcrafters tip-ups that were my dads which happen to be be 40+ years old. Simple and effective. Using large shiners of course. Squidding line or Dacron for line tipped with leaders. Targeting fish with teeth use steel leader material. Treble hooks. We have a 4' tall windbreak that we anchor to the ice and we have converted a wood tabogan to a box to carry all of our gear. This took years to accumulate, but you could get by with less. One item we never forget is our charcoal grill, brats, ect. you get the idea. Have fun you'll love it.
    HaveJeepCanGo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/19 22:46:04 (permalink)
    beer.  grubs.  small jigs.  light line.  spring bobbers(if not using ultra light weight rods).  good drag.  4" auger(xtra blades eventually).  propane lantern(kerosene on hands = no fish on ice).  venison.  headlamp(xrta batteries).  sheet metal screws in thick soled rubber boots(to grip ice).  mittens R better than gloves(fingerless wool gloves w/mitten flap R better than mittens).  spud bar for opening holes(I use 1/2" iron pipe).  ice scoop(can double as minnow net).  minnows.  hand towel(wet fingers freeze).  snot rag(do NOT use hand towel).  sled, if U don't buy a shelter(I eventually bought one, U will also).  buckets.  butt cushion(to go on bucket lid).  did I mention beer?

this is all bare essentials.  some needed by everyone, other things can be shared.  if only 1 auger, then whomever bought that shouldn't have to bring beer.  get my drift?    don't let the grubs freeze, but don't let them warm up either.  they last forever in a fridge.  minus the shelter, this all should run about $100. 

good luck, and remember what my Momma said...  have fun, but remember where you are.
    post edited by HaveJeepCanGo - 2010/11/19 22:49:39
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/21 17:30:43 (permalink)
    beer might be the hardest thing to bring, when you arent even 18 it tends to be frowned upon 

But thanks for the info guys, hopefully when me and my friends try we will have some success

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/22 21:43:18 (permalink)
    Make sure it's 4" of solid clear ice before you go out on it.

So duUDz might say 3" but that's pushing it for me.

No fesh worth drowning over.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/22 21:54:11 (permalink)
    As fo stuff.

Jigging pole
    A couple tip ups
    6" hand auger
    Sled
    Bucket

Bait wise...
    Minnows under tip ups.
    Waxworms and Maggots on ice jigs.

Invest in a pair of ice cleats, cheap ones work great too, might need to resharpen them out of the pack.

Dress in layers, it's a good idea to bring something to heat up drinks and to make hot food, keeps you feshing longer u no.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/25 06:03:18 (permalink)
    I have a hand auger you can have for free,but it needs new baldes. PM me if you want it. Dave

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/27 09:23:50 (permalink)
    Agree with 58 people on the ice are a lot different than other times always seem willing to give good advice, try it in my opinion you either love it or hate it but its addictive can't wait for freeze up , its a lot more relaxed than other outdoor pusuits in my opinion also and all in all I probably have the most success through the ice.
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Crazy 2010/11/29 10:43:01 (permalink)
    +1 on ice season being the most productive for me. Maybe I have more patience when the water is hard....or I don't move around much once I find fish.

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Crazy 2010/12/02 11:35:14 (permalink)
    All the above is good advice:

As augers go all you need is a 6" hand auger, power augers are not needed around here. We don't get that much ice around here most years. I use one in Canada, we had 30+" some years up there.

Rods, you can buy small  ice rods or use smaller ultralites if fishing outside. No room inside a hut for soft water rods though. I save & collect all broken rod tips that I find and make most of my own ice rods from these.

Bait: It depends on what your after:
    Panfish: use grubs: maggots, waxies, mousies, or small minnows or minnow heads (as mentioned above) Also the newer powerbait grubs and alive fake stuff works as well. Bass/pike.walleyes: use minnows, chubs & suckers
    Trout: traditonal trout baits work well.
    You can try jigging spoons tipped with grubs or minnow heads

You will need a skimmer to clear ice out of the holes, a bucket to haul out your gear and sit on. I always take along a PFD and ice picks on a string around my neck. Some kind of ice cleats for your boots, if there is snow on the ice it is not bad, but clear slick ice with no snow and rubber soles don't mix. I like the idea of sheet metal screws in the bottom of the boots. I do that on my wading boots for the trout stream.

I would suggest trying a local farm pond that you know has panfish in it, fish a few inches off the bottom and you should be in bussiness. You can buy ice jigs, but small 1/64-1/100 round jigs will work. Don't be afraid to try small plastics/rubber tails as well. Plastics have made a imapct on ice fishing the last 10 years or so.

Buy some spring bobbers and try them or get the smallest bobber ou can find, the bite is usually lite in the winter.

Just my advice, PM if needed

Jump to: