How to heat

Author
D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/11 10:09:33 (permalink)

How to heat

I've always used a coleman lantern for heat and light in the early morning, i'm tired of breaking mantels. Thinking of switching to L.E.D. headlight and some kind of heater any recommendations on the heater and the headlamp, i have a small one man handmade hut. Of course i'd like the simplest most dependable heater doesn't have to be very big not much room to heat...Thanks in advance for any help.

15 Replies Related Threads

tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/11 11:03:04 (permalink)
    http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

I have a 2 person pop-up. And this worked well for me. High to heat it up, then low
    to keep it cozy. One tank usually lasts 4-6 hours depending on how cold it is. You can a get an attachment to use a propane tank for like a grill. That's what I will be using as soon as the ice is drivable here (MN).
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/11 11:41:08 (permalink)
    I agree the Mister Heater is probably the best but I use one of the small Coleman Sportcat's and it keeps me warm enough most days. I believe I have the 1000 btu model which isn't a lot compared to the others. A 1 pound propane canister will last a couple of days for me. I use it in a Shappell dx3000.

I did recently find another of the Coleman model tops but I'm not sure which model it is. I only paid $6 for it and it has the self ignition so if it works I'll be happy.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/11 12:34:49 (permalink)
    First of all thanks for the advice, the mister heater may be a little big for my hut, but certainly looks like a nice heater. Dave how does the sportcat perform does it light everytime say at 5:30 in the morning on Misery is it goof proof.If the electronic ignition doesn't work like thier lanterns can it be lit with a match. The base looks similar to thier lanterns which is good i can bolt that down like i did the lantern.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/11 14:33:40 (permalink)
    My Sport Cat does not have the electronic ignition but it has lit every time I've used it in the 4 years I've had it. It is small and that's what I like about it. It sits nicely in the middle of the four holes and it comes with a base that has wings that swing out so it does have decent stability. The sportcat also has a nice handle built in that makes it easy to pick up and move while hot.

I did in the past buy one of the larger ones that had a fan and it had the electronic ignition. I bought it at the Salvation Army lit it once and it started fine. I only bought it to resell it and make a little profit as it was to big to carry ice fishing for me.

The one I recently got at the yard sale has a metal handle that lets the head lay on the side at about a 45 degree angle so I'm not sure how it will work but for the little bit I paid for it I thought it will be worth a try at least. I'm assuming if the electronic ignition did not work any could be lit with a match also.
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/11 15:13:54 (permalink)
    Buddy heater...a little smaller and 2 settings. Keeps my 2 man clam nice and warm, but not real hot. Electronic ingnition is the way to go IMHO -

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/12 13:15:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 58 FASTWIN

Buddy heater...a little smaller and 2 settings. Keeps my 2 man clam nice and warm, but not real hot. Electronic ingnition is the way to go IMHO -

I agree. Buddy heaters have the low O2 shutoff also, thus reducing the risk of carbon monoxide headache or worse. However, most of the time I use mini propane lantern with the simple slip-on mantle. I keep an old suede chopper style mitten oven the globe when transporting and the mantle rarely breaks, but when it does it takes about a minute to replace...I carry extras with me on the ice. The lantern itself only costs about $20, puts out a lot of heat and will last several full days of fishing on one propane canister. When I'm planning on fishing below 20 degrees I take the buddy heater with me.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5132-A50&categoryid=1010&brand=

By the way, there are other manufacturers of these mini lanterns and the globes and mantles are interchangeable on all that I've owned.

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: How to heat 2010/11/18 21:04:05 (permalink)
    Sterno can heat,they burn very clean and heat more than you think.....
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/17 21:20:42 (permalink)
    I went with the Mr Heater Buddy Junior, nice looking heater won't be long before I try it out.
    Also got Princeton Tec L.E.D. headlamp seems like it will be bright enough.
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/17 21:31:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-MAC

I've always used a coleman lantern for heat and light in the early morning, i'm tired of breaking mantels. Thinking of switching to L.E.D. headlight and some kind of heater any recommendations on the heater and the headlamp, i have a small one man handmade hut. Of course i'd like the simplest most dependable heater doesn't have to be very big not much room to heat...Thanks in advance for any help.
                            Den ,   If you're gunna use a hedalight  look into a coleman liquid burner unit..   Coleman dependability  and  no mantles  and lots of heat  !!!  NW/
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/18 07:33:13 (permalink)
    Al,

To late already bought the Buddy Jr. but i can also use it for golf in a cart,I went to BUGGIES UNLIMITED and got a propane cannister holder that fits in the cup holder of a golf cart for early season and late season golfing warmth.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/18 18:42:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-MAC

heat with it/cook with it.

Mr. Heater Portable Propane Heater/Cooker Model MH12c

http://safetycentral.com/mrhepoprhemo.html

look around you can get it cheaper. mine has electronic ignition and i paid around $30-$35. just sayin'
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/12/18 18:53:42

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/21 08:44:51 (permalink)
    I fished Misery last night the Buddy Jr. worked great for my small hut the only thing wrong is there is no heat control it's one setting so that's the only thing i'll have to put up with.
    The L.E.D. headlamp worked great plenty of light there's plenty of ice on Misery just no fish to speak of.......
    oncorhynchus
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/23 16:49:22 (permalink)
    I have a one burner Coleman gas stove that has an adapter to put over the burner so it can be used as a heater, flame can be adjusted also, been using it for many years
    This sounds crazy but Coleman lanterns once cooled down should be stored upside-down, to protect the mantels from breaking, I read this long time ago from a Coleman article.
    post edited by oncorhynchus - 2010/12/24 08:25:05

better to be silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    gary3414
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/24 08:27:23 (permalink)
    Where did you get the adpater for your stove? I like to bring my one burner stove for coffee and a hot lunch. It would be nice to not have to take stove and a heater.
    oncorhynchus
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: How to heat 2010/12/24 08:38:27 (permalink)
    I don't remember it was many years ago, I imagine if you write Coleman they may still have it, I still use it after all these years, and a tank of gas lasts a long time, when I fish outside I place it on the ice between my feet and the heat rises to keep me warm even outside.

better to be silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    Jump to: