Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/26 21:23:47 (permalink)

Sunday Hunting

Why can't we hunt on sundays.Theres is probably alot of you guys like me work 6 days a week what would it hurt for us to hunt on sundays.

33 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/26 21:51:15 (permalink)
      Goes back to the old blue laws. There were alot of things you couldn't do in PA on Sunday.
      Now as I understand it there are a few very large landowners in the state that have threatened to post their lands if Sunday hunting is allowed. The whole amish community would be against it because they wouldn't be allowed to hunt.
       I think we should be allowed. NY does and there don't seem to be any adverse affects there. Sure would open up a lot of opportunity for the working stiff.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 10:59:22 (permalink)
    There was a petition going around for awhile, I even printed some and took them too local shops here in centre county. Im pretty sure poor richards had it also. Not sure what ever went down with that but apparently nothing.

Join a hunting preserve, you can hunt there sundays.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 12:06:28 (permalink)
    Saturdays are a high harvest day for most of our game animals.  Add Sunday to the mix and you would see many seasons shortening to adjust for this.

Carl Roe and Jerry Feaser have both eluded to that in several forums when asked.  It is the PGC's stance that they are not opposed to it if the legislature allows it but adjustments to our current seasons may be made.

For that reason I am against.  I prefer spreading the pressure from 900,000 hunters over a longer period of time than a free for all if the seasons would be shortened.  In other states with much fewer hunters, Sundays matter little.

hunt-n-fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 12:22:29 (permalink)
    Huh........, Ohio has an archery season that extends into the first week of February now, allowing archery hunters only additional anterless tags and they've been hunting Sundays for over a decade.  During there gun season, which used to last only 7 days,  they even added another weekend to hunt with gun.  It just sounds like they don't want to open Pennsylvania to hunt Sundays and they're going to do whatever it takes to discourage it.

When other states I've hunted, Illinois, Michigan, as well as Ohio, have Sunday hunting, why make adjustments to our current seasons when the above mentioned states didn't and we would have to?

I feel that we're just beating that dead-horse again, ..... again, .... again.  The Game commission needs an overhaul.
    post edited by hunt-n-fish - 2007/10/27 12:24:45
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 12:30:22 (permalink)
    Amen Brother!

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 13:37:48 (permalink)
    The Game commission needs an

... enema.

"The whole amish community would be against it because they wouldn't be allowed to hunt."

Bing,  They don't follow the Commonwealth laws anyway, so why should they stand in the way?  They poach, snag, tresspass, and follow their own "ethics" when it serves them best.  Not all, but MANY.  Not to mention, they can always stay in church.  Just because it would be legal to do so, doesn't mean it's mandatory.  If YOUR religion restricts YOUR activities fine, but I believe this country was founded on a belief that it shouldn't restrict MINE.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 14:09:27 (permalink)
    I'm torn on the topic....

I think Sunday hunting would be a good thing for most hunters. I am usually busy all weekend showing homes anyway, and wouldn't get to hunt Sunday, but I would like to see more people get more time to hunt. I get 2 full days each week, and would hate only having one day.

On the other hand, my girlfriend usually hikes or mountain bikes only on Sunday's, because she doesn't feel safe in the woods on days when the woods are filled with hunters. I would hate to see her give up the things she likes to do on Sundays, because of hunting.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 14:58:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hunt-n-fish

Huh........, Ohio has an archery season that extends into the first week of February now, allowing archery hunters only additional anterless tags and they've been hunting Sundays for over a decade.  During there gun season, which used to last only 7 days,  they even added another weekend to hunt with gun.  It just sounds like they don't want to open Pennsylvania to hunt Sundays and they're going to do whatever it takes to discourage it.

When other states I've hunted, Illinois, Michigan, as well as Ohio, have Sunday hunting, why make adjustments to our current seasons when the above mentioned states didn't and we would have to?

I feel that we're just beating that dead-horse again, ..... again, .... again.  The Game commission needs an overhaul.

Those states and any that allow Sunday hunting have thier seasons setup for Sunday hunting.  Pennsylvania currently does not allow it "in most cases" and it's seasons are setup as such.

Add Sundays and 900,000 hunters chomping at the bit and things will change.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 15:12:59 (permalink)
    Her situation is one of the reasons I'd like to see it start on private property only for a few years, to try to judge the impact.  That way, people accustomed to utilizing the public lands for such activities can continue to do so.  The proverbial "bone" to throw to the non-hunters, as it has been explained to me.
    hunt-n-fish
    New Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 20:54:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

The Game commission needs an

... enema.

"The whole amish community would be against it because they wouldn't be allowed to hunt."

Bing,  They don't follow the Commonwealth laws anyway, so why should they stand in the way?  They poach, snag, tresspass, and follow their own "ethics" when it serves them best.  Not all, but MANY.  Not to mention, they can always stay in church.  Just because it would be legal to do so, doesn't mean it's mandatory.  If YOUR religion restricts YOUR activities fine, but I believe this country was founded on a belief that it shouldn't restrict MINE.

So true.  But aren't they guilty of stealing anyway.  Don't they take there under 16 y.o.a. hunting with them just so anyone in the group can shoot bucks that are under AR and tag it with the kid's tag? 

I've been told this by several of my friends who live in the western part of the state.  If this is so, then no wonder the land is sterile of wildlife.
    hunt-n-fish
    New Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 21:06:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dpms

Those states and any that allow Sunday hunting have thier seasons setup for Sunday hunting.  Pennsylvania currently does not allow it "in most cases" and it's seasons are setup as such.

Add Sundays and 900,000 hunters chomping at the bit and things will change.

Not so. I used to live in Ohio before Sunday hunting began and after it became statewide.  Absolutely not true.  I still have 3 friends who are ODNR wildlife officers.  They will even tell you that the state wanted it years ago, it was the opposition from the farm bureaus, etc.  The hunting season is terribly more liberal with it's dates now, then ever before 'no' Sunday hunting.

1) Small game for example used to run from November 15 to the middle of December.  Now it starts the first weekend in Nov. and goes through the end of Feb. 

2) Deer season used to last only 6 days with gun.  They tried a 2nd full week for 2 years then went to a 2nd weekend for the past few years.

3) Archery season went from the first Saturday in Oct. and ended the last day of Jan.  Now it's the last Saturday in Sept, and has been for awhile, and goes through the first weekend if Feb 3.

These are just few of the examples.  Illinois had Sunday hunting for as long as I can remember as well as Mich. which has a 2 full weeks, 14 days, of deer gun.

Alot of this change stuff is what they want us to believe.

hunt-n-fish
    New Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 21:14:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

Her situation is one of the reasons I'd like to see it start on private property only for a few years, to try to judge the impact.  That way, people accustomed to utilizing the public lands for such activities can continue to do so.  The proverbial "bone" to throw to the non-hunters, as it has been explained to me.

This is exactly what Ohio did to get the idea accross.  It was all public lands and the private lands had to sign-up or agree with the state about Sunday hunting.   Very political issue this idea of Sunday hunting.  As long as the current commission stays 'on', they will retain this way of thinking.  Pa. needs to move ahead and embed into the commission actual hunters and fisherman, real outdoorsman or outdoors people, with the common sense and smarts to make the states wildlife better and outdoor community appreciate what they have.  Lets face it, it's all the revenues from license sales from resident and non-resident sales, P-R tax monies and other federal outdoor related taxes that go to buy the statelands we have to hunt.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 22:36:34 (permalink)
    Vote Jeremy Hoffman for Executive Director
    hunt-n-fish
    New Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/27 22:51:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Vote Jeremy Hoffman for Executive Director

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/28 07:25:12 (permalink)

Don't know him but I do know we need some newer faces with newer ideas at the top 
       As far as the Amish what has the most impact in their community is the number of tags per household that they can get. They do most of their deer killing legally(cept for the ones they eat in summer). They just have shear numbers of people to put in the woods.
      For example I can see 3 Amish houses from my house. Each house averages 5 hunters per house. Each hunter gets a buck tag, a doe tag and a bonus tag. Half the hunters are under 16 so horn restrictions are a moot point. That's 5 buck and 10 doe per house. So behind my house on 300 acres you have 15 buck tags and 30 doe tags.They make it a point to fill all tags. There are 6 more houses on the next road up. Do the math they don't have to cheat they have enough tags to clean out the herd and they do every year.But as you may know I'm just a bit down on the fellas at the moment cause they whacked a big buck here we were hunting and the horns are just going to get tacked to the barn wall. Deer of that caliber needed a little more respect than that. Sorry for the rant. It's Sunday lets go hit the woods..

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/28 12:29:46 (permalink)

Not so. I used to live in Ohio before Sunday hunting began and after it became statewide.  Absolutely not true.  I still have 3 friends who are ODNR wildlife officers.  They will even tell you that the state wanted it years ago, it was the opposition from the farm bureaus, etc.  The hunting season is terribly more liberal with it's dates now, then ever before 'no' Sunday hunting.

1) Small game for example used to run from November 15 to the middle of December.  Now it starts the first weekend in Nov. and goes through the end of Feb. 

2) Deer season used to last only 6 days with gun.  They tried a 2nd full week for 2 years then went to a 2nd weekend for the past few years.

3) Archery season went from the first Saturday in Oct. and ended the last day of Jan.  Now it's the last Saturday in Sept, and has been for awhile, and goes through the first weekend if Feb 3.

These are just few of the examples.  Illinois had Sunday hunting for as long as I can remember as well as Mich. which has a 2 full weeks, 14 days, of deer gun.

Alot of this change stuff is what they want us to believe.

How many hunters does Ohio have??  Illinois??  Much, much fewer than PA.  And they have big deer herds.  Put 900,000 hunters in the field in those two states during thier deer seasons and you would see a drastic increase in the harvest and you could be sure that the repective game departments would be looking hard at a solution.

Everyone wants to compare Sunday hunting to states that already have it.  You can't.  You have to look at how Sunday hunting would effect Pa exlusively.

Grouse:  Can our grouse populations sustain a season that is effectively doubled?  No.

Turkeys: 4 extra high harvest days in the spring? We have 5 saturdays now.  No.

Deer: 1 extra high harvest day? Maybe, with a cut in doe allocations.

Fall turkey:  An extra 3-4 high harvest days depending on unit? No.

You could go on and on.  Many other states need hunters.  That is why you can shoot many does in alot of them.  And thier liberal seasons are set as such.  Pa has plenty of hunters right now to effectively manage it's game resources.

Look at adding these high harvest days to our current seasons and how it would effect the harvest in Pa.  Do not compare Pa to other states with much different demographics and game populations.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/28 13:09:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Don't know him but I do know we need some newer faces with newer ideas at the top
    As far as the Amish what has the most impact in their community is the number of tags per household that they can get. They do most of their deer killing legally(cept for the ones they eat in summer). They just have shear numbers of people to put in the woods.
    For example I can see 3 Amish houses from my house. Each house averages 5 hunters per house. Each hunter gets a buck tag, a doe tag and a bonus tag. Half the hunters are under 16 so horn restrictions are a moot point. That's 5 buck and 10 doe per house. So behind my house on 300 acres you have 15 buck tags and 30 doe tags.They make it a point to fill all tags. There are 6 more houses on the next road up. Do the math they don't have to cheat they have enough tags to clean out the herd and they do every year.But as you may know I'm just a bit down on the fellas at the moment cause they whacked a big buck here we were hunting and the horns are just going to get tacked to the barn wall. Deer of that caliber needed a little more respect than that. Sorry for the rant. It's Sunday lets go hit the woods..

<--- Jeremy Hoffman
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/28 15:16:20 (permalink)
    Hunting on sunday is a great idea wish they would allow it  maybe some day??
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/28 21:27:20 (permalink)
    I,ll vote Jeremy in.

Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/28 22:40:01 (permalink)
     I would not want sunday hunting.... i can see both sides... i understand wat dpms is saying. our state is getting hit way to hard with hunters... yeah the first year it would be great second yeah its still a good thing.... the 3rd year your going to need that extra day to see the number of deer you see now... its not worth it... give the deer a break 

As of a religion reason.... im no religion expert but the religions i know of sunday is a day for relaxation? some people like me consider hunting relaxing...
    and im not sure if i read this above but i think someone said the amish wont hunt on sundays due to religion, but why do they go fishing on sundays?

A day for hard working men and women to get out? Yeah it would be nice to have that day.THen because they work 6 days a week and hunt the 7th they will be in divorce court along with everyone else...

My opinion goes both ways... yes i would hunt on sundays if they passed it,but i dont think our deer herd needs that right now...its getting pumbled with  bugs,poaching, and hunters like us. 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 07:07:45 (permalink)
      I don't think the Amish consider fishing as killing something. They have rules for Sunday non of their businesses are aloud Sunday sales. I don't think the church would allow them to hunt on Sunday. I will have to ask.
    As far as Sunday hunting wiping out our game I just don't see it. If we fielded the number of hunters we did 20 years ago maybe. But with the decline in numbers of hunters I don't feel that extra day would hurt anything.
    I'm sure if you ask alot of people that are stuck working 6 days a week you would get an overwhelming yes to Sunday hunting. If you ask 5 day a week workers that have time to hunt they would probably vote no.
    I am self-employed so I get to hunt pretty much whenever I want. I would still like to have that extra day a field. Maybe we should change it to no hunting on Mondays. Sounds kinda silly doesn't it. No one likes to get up on Mondays anyway.
    As far as the folks that like to walk, hike, horseback ride on PGC property on Sundays are they purchasing a license to help support the land they are using. Or are they taking away an opportunity from a hunter  who has bought a license.
     I don't understand peoples fears about getting shot. Wear a little orange and you are more likely to die of a heart attack while hiking, car accident on the way to the Gamelands. You make it sound like its every Sunday all year. You mean they can't share the woods for a couple months. Archery hunters are no threat. When was the last time a small game hunter shot a hiker? You can't tell me people only hike and walk on Sundays. What happens the rest of the week? It would only be on 2 Sundays(during deer rifle season) of the whole year that it would be more dangerous in the woods.
    Telling a property owner he cannot harvest game one day a week because someone might want to walk in his woods is wrong also.
         P.S.       J.H. you got my vote..........
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2007/10/29 07:09:49

steely_WX
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 08:43:19 (permalink)
    I vote no Sunday hunting. My family owns 2 farms that hunters use through the season. I know they would not allow Sunday hunting. My family observes Sunday as a 'day of rest'. I know in this day and age it seems old fashioned, but even if Sunday hunting was allowed, I will not hunt.

I completely understand why sportsmen would want Sunday hunting, especially if you do not have the traditional mon-fri shift. But if hunting is your passion, thats what vacation days are for. IMO
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 09:39:48 (permalink)
    I vote for NO, NO, NO sunday hunting. Think it's a mistake.....with sunday hunting you will find more private property permanently closed thus having a net loss of accessable hunting areas, most of which is far better hunting than open state properties. Also it will be just another excuse for you to disregard "The Day Of Rest". It will be another excuse for people not to go to church and teach their children it's OK not to go to church. Look at the youth of our country now(little to no respect for anything including themselves) and all you will be doing is adding to the problem. Some folks will say "but it is a family event". You want a family event to teach your children take them to visit a grandparent or other relative/friend especially those that may be institutionalized. If you don't train them now you won't see them either when you'r put away. We need to use this board to teach our children how to respect the resourses available to us not just how to "use" them.

Just my two cents worth. 

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 10:41:27 (permalink)
      How many of you speak of the "Day of Rest" when it serves your purpose (no sunday hunting) but work on Sunday??? Do you also tell your boss you will not work it is a day of rest. You will not have to worry about Sunday hunting you will be jobless.
      Setting hunting seasons on relegious grounds is a totally out of whack system.
      Before you guys jump down my throat I am in no way belittleing any ones relegious beleifs. What you beleive is what you beleive. If you feel through your relegious beleifs you shouldn't on Sunday so be it. But why do all hunters have to be restricted beacuse of those same beliefs.
      If you own land and do not want Sunday hunting , then post it as such.

Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 11:00:51 (permalink)
    good point walley cat
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 11:40:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Maga2120

I would not want sunday hunting.... i can see both sides... i understand wat dpms is saying. our state is getting hit way to hard with hunters... yeah the first year it would be great second yeah its still a good thing.... the 3rd year your going to need that extra day to see the number of deer you see now... its not worth it... give the deer a break 

Remember, it is not just the deer.  I believe other species would be impacted more without shortened seasons.  Especially the grouse and turkeys.  The deer seasons could be adjusted for with doe allocations being cut.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/10/29 11:46:30 (permalink)
    I would like the opportunity to hunt sundays because I get precious little time to hunt, but I really dont think the game population could take it with current season lengths and tag allocations.  Most of us are already complaining about too few deer in the woods as it is!  I know for a fact a LOT of amish hunt in a "questionable" manner, and they do a good job of decimating deer herds as it is.
    zugbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/11/01 15:07:12 (permalink)
    dpms....give me a break!  I'm so tired of the PGC propoganda I'm ready to puke!  What do you base your assertions on?....Let's see some scientific evidence.  Since we're apparently basing policy on opinion here, let me chime in w/ mine....

Grouse....what friggin' grouse???!!!  There aren't any now, so what difference does one additional day per week to NOT see any make?

Turkeys....this is the one game animal that is abundant in this state, and, IN MY OPINION, the regulations for hunting them have been far too restrictive already.  Are you implying that a few extra days per season to attempt to harvest ONE bird is going to decimate the population?  Get real. If only it were that easy...

Deer....talk about mixed signals.  I was under the impression that the state wanted them all dead anyway, so why the restrictions?  Again....a few extra days in the fall, and 2 additional days during rifle season is going to make a difference?...please.

It must be nice to have your days off during the week and proclaim that those of us who do not are out of line for wanting 2 days/week to hunt instead of just one. We only get a set # of saturdays now as it is, and if the weather sucks or if you have a commitment on any one of them, you're SOL for two weeks.  (before you jump me, I love hunting in foul weather, but wind like we had on several saturdays already this year, including last saturday, can screw things up royally).

I used to live in upstate NY for a few years, and I loved having the option to hunt on Sundays.  I don't remebre there being this drastic lack of game either....hmm, wonder how that could be? If your issue is the number of hunters in this state, give it a few years.  With the steady decline in this number (you stated 900K...remember when we had 1.2+ milllion not long ago?..), you won't have to wait too long before that number is a fraction of what it is even now....and THAT is not an opinion, that is a FACT!  How many more hunters have to hang it up before we're at a level that your comfortable with?

I'm so sick of getting nothing but restriction after restriction from the PGC...how 'bout throwing the rank and file a bone once in a while?

back to you Bob....

Zug 
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/11/01 21:11:37 (permalink)
    i see  decent amount of grouse when i look for them, i think in pa, hunting on sundays, would do some harm down the road...theres just too many hunters in this state but that isnt a bad thing, we gota keep the tradition alive
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: