Proper Fly Equipment

Author
Lungeatic
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/20 15:16:45 (permalink)

Proper Fly Equipment

Hey everybody i been fishing the Oak for years and want to try fly fishing it for the first time. I was wondering if antbody could point me in the right direction on what i would need to get started. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be arriving for 5 days on Oct. 17th. Thanks again

4 Replies Related Threads

whiterobin
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Proper Fly Equipment 2010/09/20 21:13:40 (permalink)
    ive been fly fishing for steelhead for 5 years now and made my first run to ny for salmon and browns last year. i used the same flys ive been using for erie steelhead for years and had the same success in ny. my set up i have a 9wt orvis rod and large arbor reel. if you are just getting into fly fishing you can find some cheap quality rods. my friend just picked up a Echo rod 8wt for about $100. as for a reel i would def pay the price for a large arbor reel with GOOD adjustable drag. once the salmon take the fly and take off you need some resistance if you ever want to land them. as for leaders i usually use a 9ft leader with a line strength of about 12lbs this has worked well for me. if you need anything else just ask. i will be in the area actually that same time for fall break but ive only been to olcott last year and want to find streams in the area with less crowds and more fly fishing area. i have heard about the oak but never been there or know really where it is... any advice?
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Proper Fly Equipment 2010/09/20 21:35:34 (permalink)
    http://forums.fishusa.com/About_oak_orchard%25/m_332827/tm.htm

A thread about Oak orchard from a couple months ago, might be a help.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    mrkeith
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Proper Fly Equipment 2010/09/22 22:55:34 (permalink)
    Just a note, do you know there is a fly fishing tournament going on that week at the Archers Club? I think it will be extra crowded that week. But good luck fly fishing. I use a 10' 8wt rod and a large arbor reel. The leader is not that important. I use maxima 15lb. from the fly line to a swivel (about 6' in length) then 12# flouro for the tippet and then your normal flies. If you want to catch browns and steel, go down in tippet size to 6-8lb. test. BTW one of the best flies for browns up there is a large blk. stonefly........have fun..........Keith
    Lungeatic
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Proper Fly Equipment 2010/09/23 15:19:40 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! I saw there was a tournament at the archer's club, it doesn't start until the 20th, but i'm sure you will have people practicing and what not. Thanks for the advice guys. I will let you know how we do.
    Jump to: