Set up beginner?

Author
Josh7388
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/07 17:00:07 (permalink)

Set up beginner?

I know what rod and reel i would like to get but i would like direction on what kind of terminal tackle, jigs, floats and whatever else i should get to fish for steelheads in the tribs?

Something not to expensive but just a complete beginner setup

Thankyou

4 Replies Related Threads

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Set up beginner? 2010/08/07 17:30:34 (permalink)
    Line I use 10lb siglon F floating line, I use size 10 blackbird or size 10 Daiichi X510 hooks. For swivels I use the smallest blackbird swivels (20lb strength). Leader I use Froghair or Pline Flouro in 4,6, or 8lb depending on creek conditions.  For jigs I tie my own but if you are buying there are a couple distributors online for custom or mini-foo jigs. You can use any kind of flies you want with a pin and I would also tie up some of your own egg sacks or buy them from a bait shop. Floats are a personal manner, buy a couple from each brand and find which ever you like best. I personally use all of the Ravens and their float tubing material and a few of the Drennan crystal ones. There are also custom float makers if that floats your boat. That should be what you need to get started.

P.S. Almost all of those items can be bought from FishUSA.
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Set up beginner? 2010/08/08 07:36:02 (permalink)
    thankyou very much, what kind of flies would i use with center pin fishing? i have flyfished before but this is really new to me.

Thankyou for any other advice
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Set up beginner? 2010/08/08 08:01:45 (permalink)
    You can use any fly on a pin that you would use on a fly rod except for maybe spey flies. As for the terminal tackle HC hit just about dead on. As for floats though you can spend a fortune in a hurry, Since your a beginner and not sure if your going to care for centerpinning I would start with shefield or blackbird floats and as you get more into this then you can experiment. Oh and for the line dont go any higher in pound test then what your rod is rated for but siglon f is line of choice by most. We'll be having a get together again this year but it wont be until december like last year. I would say if you can attend that you'll learn a lot. Also if you need more help pm me I'm out all the time. Just make sure you get your setup before the steelhead season starts so you can learn to cast before you get on the water.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Set up beginner? 2010/08/08 22:20:28 (permalink)
    check out   floatfishingconnection.com,as said above,practice casting!!!!!! 250 yards of backing,10lb. siglon and 4lb.Gamma for a tippet.all you need for trout and steelhead.I will get bashed for this,but you can swing spey or any other fly on a pin,effectively,with practice. welcome to the dark side. 
    Jump to: