cat rod on a budget

Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/27 13:26:24 (permalink)

cat rod on a budget

just wanted to see if anybody can recommend a good rod for less than $50 as I dont usually spend a ton of money on rods

thanks

18 Replies Related Threads

benthook62
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 13:48:30 (permalink)
    Not sure where you are from, but OZZIES sport shop in dry tavern, pa. has a ton of fishing stuff, good quality at low prices. Good guy also, he and his son run the shop.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 14:13:30 (permalink)
    Shakespeare and Berkley both have decent and economical rods, the Ugly Stick in a medium/heavy or heavy in a 8 to 10 ft (depending on what your target cat is and what bait). shorter ones for in boat convenience and longer ones for shore fishing where casting distance is an issue. I've also used a pair of Berkley 'glow rods' for past 3 seasons with no problems. Many out there are specifically directed at cats and budget friendly. Make sure whatever you get has a decent length butt on it because it makes it easier on your arms when fighting a heavier fish (at least it does for me). And a strong backbone in the lower half of the rod for leverage. I do prefer the tip and upper third or so of the rod to have a lot of flex to help absorb the shock of casting and to give you some shock absorbancy when fighting a big fish on a no stretch line such as braid.
    If you want to handle before you buy then find somewhere with a large variety to pick from, even if you don't buy from that store you can't beat being able to hold a few different ones to help decide. If you are OK with 'on line' sales I would suggest contacting the folks at Fish USA and explaining what you are looking for and seeing what they have available or recommend.
    Good luck 
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2010/07/27 14:20:13
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 14:35:49 (permalink)
    ugly stik lite, or just a regular ugly stik will get the job done........and they are inexpensive and sturdy..............I have a 7 footer for carp and cats.......and I have 2 USL 8.5 foot rods I use for salmon, cats and carp..........or any other large fish
    Fish Usa has both rods.......one is 60 bucks, one is 30 bucks..........

www.2bonthewater.com
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 16:48:10 (permalink)
    Depends on your intentions. If you're river fishing for large cats, or just general catfishin' for smaller & mid size channel cat. For general purposes, and within that price range, Id probably go with something in the ugly stick line, 7 footer in medium heavy is about right. Around 30 bucks i believe. You can get by with lighter rod, but wouldnt because even the medium heavy is only rated to 3/4 ounce, and the lighter ugly sticks get a bit too "whippy" for reliable hooksets and casting cat bait & lead.

For big cat river fishing, im very biased as to what i like, I really love ugly stik's Tiger Lite 7 foot heavy model. but its around 60 bucks. If theres a better rod for my purposes, Ive yet to see it. Also good for the occaisional musky fishin'.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 18:03:40 (permalink)

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 19:52:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

For big cat river fishing, im very biased as to what i like, I really love ugly stik's Tiger Lite 7 foot heavy model. but its around 60 bucks. If theres a better rod for my purposes, Ive yet to see it. Also good for the occaisional musky fishin'.

I have the same rod, but the whuppin stick model. Hands down the best rod for BIG fish. It really let's you put the screws to those bigger fish. I paired it with an okuma baitfeeder (40 bucks from fishusa). Awesome set up.
    benthook62
    Novice Angler
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 20:31:28 (permalink)
    online visit this page...bankfishingsystems.com

http://www.bankfishingsystems.com/index.php?option=com_digistore&task=list_products&id=2&Itemid=30

i bought 2 of the 12' 25 dollar rods had them for 2 years and i can hit the middle of the mon river with a 3oz bank fishing sinker...
    post edited by benthook62 - 2010/07/27 20:33:09
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 20:38:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: benthook62

http://www.bankfishingsystems.com/index.php?option=com_digistore&task=list_products&id=2&Itemid=30

i bought 2 of the 12' 25 dollar rods had them for 2 years and i can hit the middle of the mon river with a 3oz bank fishing sinker...

All they carry is junk ...Sayth the Tackle Tart

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 21:06:28 (permalink)
    Dad just the other day bought a 7 foot heavy action spinning whuppin' stick for cats, and when i saw it, i couldnt believe it was only $25. Hes very happy with it, but hasnt had it out fishin' yet. He also likes that its a 2 pc. He likes the convenience and gripes about long rods that dont break down.

Anyway, i didnt think you could even come close to a decent heavy cat rod for that price. Rated up to 50 lb test, and going by memory either 4 or 5 oz. of weight. Good backbone and a tip thats neither too soft or too stiff for the purpose imho. Id seen other cheap rods around that price, slightly more than that- that were complete crap.

Id say its an ideal big cat rod. It also has a crazy warranty! Like 10 years or something like that?-- My tiger only has 5!
    deerhuntingpa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/27 21:39:58 (permalink)
    zebco hawg seeker

benthook62
    Novice Angler
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/28 12:02:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

All they carry is junk ...Sayth the Tackle Tart

can you make a list of the junk items i most certainly would not want to buy them....but what i did buy...i haven't seen any better at the price that handles anywhere near the weight....or has the length for bank fishing....
    thanks
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/07/28 16:20:12 (permalink)

can you make a list of the junk items i most certainly would not want to buy them....but what i did buy...i haven't seen any better at the price that handles anywhere near the weight....or has the length for bank fishing....
    thanks

Thankfully I only every owned one piece of BFS crap, but I know guys that got sucked in by the cheap****pricing and this is what happen to some of their stuff.

Bite Alarms: One little rain shower and they are shot no matter how much you dry them out.
    Shelters: Heavy rain will leak through the seams.
    Reels: After heavy carp fishing the drags are shot, sometimes the bearings fall loose, and they are just ****.
    Holdalls/ aka Rod Bags: Are barely padded, and the seams rip just by looking at it.
    Throwing Spoons: This was the one and only thing I ever bought off them. Spoon snapped after five minutes of use. Never did get my ****ing money back after sending a few emails
    Rods: Fished with a guy today that owns two and broke one casting a 2oz weight only 40 yards. For a 12' "carp rod" though they just don't feel right and lacks a nice action.

The Centron pods are the only thing worth buying just from what I seen. It's far from being "sexy" though

I could care less if anyone wants to buy from them goright ahead, it's not my money. This is from what I seen...Just sayin'

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    gatordundee
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/08/05 16:30:44 (permalink)
    snoopy pole... lil mermaid tackle box  /thread.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/08/05 17:20:22 (permalink)
    You mustve misread gator. The man said he was looking for a cheap "cat" rod. Not a cheap"bass" rod.
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/08/05 17:38:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deerhuntingpa

zebco hawg seeker

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
    post edited by moose22dog - 2010/08/05 17:39:45

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/08/07 22:59:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

Shakespeare and Berkley both have decent and economical rods, the Ugly Stick in a medium/heavy or heavy in a 8 to 10 ft (depending on what your target cat is and what bait). shorter ones for in boat convenience and longer ones for shore fishing where casting distance is an issue. I've also used a pair of Berkley 'glow rods' for past 3 seasons with no problems. Many out there are specifically directed at cats and budget friendly. Make sure whatever you get has a decent length butt on it because it makes it easier on your arms when fighting a heavier fish (at least it does for me). And a strong backbone in the lower half of the rod for leverage. I do prefer the tip and upper third or so of the rod to have a lot of flex to help absorb the shock of casting and to give you some shock absorbancy when fighting a big fish on a no stretch line such as braid.
    If you want to handle before you buy then find somewhere with a large variety to pick from, even if you don't buy from that store you can't beat being able to hold a few different ones to help decide. If you are OK with 'on line' sales I would suggest contacting the folks at Fish USA and explaining what you are looking for and seeing what they have available or recommend.
    Good luck 

This is a very good post and I agree with everything she said

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/08/08 11:48:49 (permalink)
    Picked up an Ugly Stick Catfish rod at Gander Mtn a few years ago for around $40. 7 ft. med. heavy. with nice shakspeare spinning reel on it.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: cat rod on a budget 2010/08/08 19:39:11 (permalink)
    cut down a good stick from a tree add line and a hook you catch fish. it work's no money here .just for the line and hook . i do dream on
    Jump to: