'10 Doe Tags...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
  • Reward points: 0
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 11:58:54 (permalink)
I didn't say I don't know, I said I don't need to know.

But you also said you didn't care, which means you would have no reason to do the research to know if the herd was stable or increasing, yet you try your best to convince others that poor habitat is the reason why the herd isn't increasing ,even though the facts prove you are dead wrong. Furthermore, this is not a discussion about individual hunting practices and even if every hunter in the state did what you suggest,it wouldn't increase the sustainable harvest at all. In fact ,it would insure that the herd would never increase.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 14:26:54 (permalink)
Turn us Loggers loose we'll make some browse and knock those high canopy ground cover blockin trees to their knees...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 15:32:35 (permalink)
I would hope that no one would take that 92% data to mean that because of it, that the deer harvest in Pa. is only 8% of the population.Maybe they did put them too far from the road as has been suggested,but wait ,doesn't that mean that then they are closer to the road on the other side? lol sam
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 16:29:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

But you also said you didn't care, which means you would have no reason to do the research to know if the herd was stable or increasing, yet you try your best to convince others that poor habitat is the reason why the herd isn't increasing ,even though the facts prove you are dead wrong. Furthermore, this is not a discussion about individual hunting practices and even if every hunter in the state did what you suggest,it wouldn't increase the sustainable harvest at all. In fact ,it would insure that the herd would never increase.

When I walk into the woods, I do not care if the pgc says the entire deer herd of wmu 4d is increasing, decreasing, or stable. It could be considered one status at mile X and another mile down the road completely different. Do you choose to hunt or not hunt an entire wmu because the deer herd is considered a certain status ? I don't and that's what I meant by I don't care. Course, you probably knew that, but are grasping straws. Gotta grab something I suppose.

I am able to steer the thread in the direction of hunting practices if I desire. You have every opportunity to not engage in discussion.

I do have reason to do the research. And that is to see what problems exist, understand why they exist and how I, in my own power, can improve on them. And I have. Sounds like you're still struggling. Maybe get off the PC and figure it out ? If the pgc allows the deer to get hammered, so be it, I give 'em my thoughts and I'm out of there. I don't spend endless hours typing about how horrid everything is. I do however spend the time trying to improve it. If the forest is tall timber and one can see a hundred yards, I ain't huntin' it.

I have found overtime that the guys that complain and continue non-stop, really aren't into hunting much anyway. When they go hunting, they spend more time in the vehicle than in the woods. They go to camp to get drunk, play cards, and sleep in (not that there's anything wrong with that). They use the excuse of the pgc to attempt to convince other hunters why they are not actually hunting. Really, that's the truth. If one really enjoys hunting -- I'm not talking deer numbers, telling deer stories, or antler size --I'm talking about the instinctual pursuit of prey as a predator.. then there are no excuses. They'll adapt no matter what. And that's okay for those who don't want to adapt but at the very least, be honest.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 16:44:06 (permalink)
'Kype,
That is one of the best posts I have EVER read on these forums, seriously.

Best Regards,

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 16:51:22 (permalink)
When I walk into the woods, I do not care if the pgc says the entire deer herd of wmu 4d is increasing, decreasing, or stable. It could be considered one status at mile X and another mile down the road completely different. Do you choose to hunt or not hunt an entire wmu because the deer herd is considered a certain status ? I don't and that's what I meant by I don't care. Course, you probably knew that, but are grasping straws. Gotta grab something I suppose.

When I walk into the woods I care whether the herd is increasing, decreasing or stable because I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to improve the habitat on my property and adjoining properties, only to have the PGC reduce the herd to ridiculous low levels and making deer hunting a lot less enjoyable. Not only do we see a lot less deer,we no longer enjoy harvesting doe because we see so few.

However , I do not judge the DMP based on my personal success, I base it on whether or not it has achieved it's intended goals statewide and to date it is a miserable failure and you can't provide a single fact that proves I am wrong.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 16:58:17 (permalink)
Thumbs up here!
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I am able to steer the thread in the direction of hunting practices if I desire. You have every opportunity to not engage in discussion.

I do have reason to do the research. And that is to see what problems exist, understand why they exist and how I, in my own power, can improve on them. And I have. Sounds like you're still struggling. Maybe get off the PC and figure it out ? If the pgc allows the deer to get hammered, so be it, I give 'em my thoughts and I'm out of there. I don't spend endless hours typing about how horrid everything is. I do however spend the time trying to improve it. If the forest is tall timber and one can see a hundred yards, I ain't huntin' it.

I have found overtime that the guys that complain and continue non-stop, really aren't into hunting much anyway. When they go hunting, they spend more time in the vehicle than in the woods. They go to camp to get drunk, play cards, and sleep in (not that there's anything wrong with that). They use the excuse of the pgc to attempt to convince other hunters why they are not actually hunting. Really, that's the truth. If one really enjoys hunting -- I'm not talking deer numbers, telling deer stories, or antler size --I'm talking about the instinctual pursuit of prey as a predator.. then there are no excuses. They'll adapt no matter what. And that's okay for those who don't want to adapt but at the very least, be honest.

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 17:17:36 (permalink)
Silver, For someone who doesn't spend his time on the computer you sure have a lot of posts compared to the rest of us. Perhaps it's you who should spend more time in the woods to see what is going on instead of telling us how good things are. Also remember, it's the 90 percent that don't spend all their time at the sport that are supporting the system that keeps the agency in business. Probably should pay some attention to them that fund the programs and pay the salarys instead of the Audubon and enviromentalists that want things like they were before man.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4920
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 17:27:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Silver, For someone who doesn't spend his time on the computer you sure have a lot of posts compared to the rest of us. Perhaps it's you who should spend more time in the woods to see what is going on instead of telling us how good things are. Also remember, it's the 90 percent that don't spend all their time at the sport that are supporting the system that keeps the agency in business. Probably should pay some attention to them that fund the programs and pay the salarys instead of the Audubon and enviromentalists that want things like they were before man.

Its only 70% -- LOL.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 17:34:28 (permalink)

[/quote

Does that include members of hunting clubs like my BIL belongs to where the members pay $600/yr. in dues and they manage 2 SM of forest for wildlife habitat. Should they all adapt by just accepting harvests that are one third what they were before? Should they pay their dues ,shut up and move to an area with more deer? Should older hunters just shut up and quit hunting because the area they hunted for years no longer produce an enjoyable experience? Do you really give a rip about your fellow hunters who may not have it as good as you do?
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 17:41:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

You insinuate that with the decrease in pressure that there SHOULD be an increase in the deer herd. That doesnt add up

According to both pgc & the deer audit our units had been for the most part meeting the herd goals of stabilization or reduction...which was the goals for most wmus. That means if you harvest more where stabilization is the goal that is being met, you end up with REDUCTION and no longer stabilization. IF you harvest more where the goal of reduction is being met, you get even more reduction.

"btw.. ticks are out year around, above 28 degrees."

Just the way i worded it. Dont be so up tight. I dont generally get 5 on me in one trip from October through April..

" No stinkin' ticks by scent shields works well."

Thanks, i'll have to give it a try. Id never messed with bug sprays much, always thought they were probably worse for you than the ticks themselves. But im tired of those ugly bloodsuckers.

Wait a second.  Isn't it you that says cut the tags ?  Are you suggesting that a decrease in tags will not increase deer numbers ?  Or did you type that wrong ?

I don't believe our biologists are morons.  I believe they do the best that they can with the resources available.  I also believe deer management is an evolving practice, and we've all got a lot to learn. 

While certain states have betterness in many activities, PA is pretty balanced.   I just try to make the best of it.

It seems there are more deer ticks where there are deer.  If only some of us were as brillant as those little buggers.. we'd have no issue finding deer !    No stinkin' ticks is expensive for what you get..  the can suggests covering your entire hunting clothing and all layers.   I've found that covering cuffs and edges saves a dollar and works well.  I've yet to get a tick on me using it while tucking my shirt in and my pants into my boots.   It has an earth scent while wet and dries scentless (to me of course).

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 17:47:06 (permalink)

When I walk into the woods I care whether the herd is increasing, decreasing or stable because I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to improve the habitat on my property and adjoining properties, only to have the PGC reduce the herd to ridiculous low levels and making deer hunting a lot less enjoyable. Not only do we see a lot less deer,we no longer enjoy harvesting doe because we see so few.

However , I do not judge the DMP based on my personal success, I base it on whether or not it has achieved it's intended goals statewide and to date it is a miserable failure and you can't provide a single fact that proves I am wrong.

So, do you think if the pgc says your entire WMU is stable, that means your immediate area is ?   I don't.

When is the last time you shot a doe ?

Your opinion is the program is a miserable failure.   I'd have to say HR certainly achieved its goal.

wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 17:59:02 (permalink)
"When I walk into the woods, I do not care if the pgc says the entire deer herd of wmu 4d is increasing, decreasing, or stable. It could be considered one status at mile X and another mile down the road completely different. Do you choose to hunt or not hunt an entire wmu because the deer herd is considered a certain status ? I don't and that's what I meant by I don't care. Course, you probably knew that, but are grasping straws. Gotta grab something I suppose."

Gee, no ones allowed to talk about statewide or wmu wide deer management and its many failures? Has to be about when YOU walk in the woods?

"I am able to steer the thread in the direction of hunting practices if I desire."

Basically it seems that all you try to do though, is change direction of the discussion because you cannot or dont want to address the current line of posts at the given time.

" Sounds like you're still struggling. Maybe get off the PC and figure it out ? "

You've got to be kidding me. Seriously bro, do you think YOU are the one that should be telling others to get off the pc?? .

"If the pgc allows the deer to get hammered, so be it, I give 'em my thoughts and I'm out of there. I don't spend endless hours typing about how horrid everything is."

Yet even after being ineffective and your efforts ignored by most because noones stopping posting what they wanna post..., you still spend endless hours complaining about people voicing their opinions of how horrid everything is? lol Gee thats time much better spent.

Maybe you just dont understand that people might prefer to share their "good" experiences with their friend, family etc. and not some anonymous people on the internet message boards? Might also wanna understand that ones success or lack thereof can be totally separate issue from deer management in Pa discussion. Just some thoughts for you to consider. And as for complainers about the failed program not being into hunting or successful its clear you dont know who the hell all that includes, who are probably 10 times more successful than you are here despite the fraud commission deer plan, as well as in other states. Myself included. That would also extend to time spent in the woods. No ands ifs or buts. I also have quite a few friends that are very good hunters who would laugh their asses off at that comment as well. Some of them think less of pgcs efforts than i do.

Id bet 90% of the guys around these parts think the plan is a miserable joke. And that large faction includes some very good hunters.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/15 18:13:34
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:00:18 (permalink)

I would spend more time in the woods if I wasn't content with where I deer hunt.  I have in the past when I wasn't content.  I certainly don't complain about it on a message board.  I did not say how good things were but I did say I try to make the best of it.   There's two sides of the coin.  It's up to me which side I want to be on. 

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:03:26 (permalink)
So, do you think if the pgc says your entire WMU is stable, that means your immediate area is ?   I don't.

That is a meaningless question ,so any answer would be irrelevant. The last doe I shot was in either 1999 or 2000.

HR was supposed to result in increased breeding rates, increased recruitment and a decreased breeding window and none of that happened. HR was also supposed to result in increased regeneration, yet it decreased in 13 of 21 WMU's . Therefore , HR was a miserable failure!!!
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:10:10 (permalink)
"Wait a second. Isn't it you that says cut the tags ? Are you suggesting that a decrease in tags will not increase deer numbers ? Or did you type that wrong ? "

Only if tags/opportunity are cut enough. Have they been? Guess we wont know yet, but up until recently they havent been or the herd wouldve grown. Gonna take more extreme cuts in an extreme unit like 2G than many units would with higher deer densities and or some access issues.

"I don't believe our biologists are morons."

Nor do i. But i believe they are embarked on an agenda that doesnt suit us very well and its mainly based on VALUES and not absolute necessity over much of the state anyway.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:12:01 (permalink)
Looks like its time for wayne to start spouting off.  Oh goodie. 

You're not making the connection about deer hunting and pc time.

If you're unhappy, perhaps you should adjust the time available to correct that lack of happiness.   That is what I am suggesting.   I am not unhappy.   And that allows for lots of pc time.  You rarely objectively discuss the issues, rather place blame elsewhere.   You have very very little for me to consider.

I am very glad you are more successful than me.  Congrats.    When's the last time you shot a doe ? 

Are you sure it's me that is being ignored ?

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:19:21 (permalink)
HR was supposed to result in increased breeding rates, increased recruitment and a decreased breeding window and none of that happened. HR was also supposed to result in increased regeneration, yet it decreased in 13 of 21 WMU's . Therefore , HR was a miserable failure!!!

I think that's it in a nutshell-----some hunters have quit because of it, some still hunt but complain about it, some have adapted the best they could, and some have private ground to hunt where they haven't been seriously affected by it. The bottom line however is that with the exception of reducing the herd there is very little the PGC said would happen as a result that actually has.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:19:52 (permalink)

That is a meaningless question ,so any answer would be irrelevant. The last doe I shot was in either 1999 or 2000.

You said you care about herd status when you enter the woods.   Herd status is WMU based and not necessarily reflective of an immediate area. 

Congrats for sticking to your guns.  Many people complain about not enough doe and shoot the first one that steps out.  I do not think it's beyond reasonable for hunters to know their land and their prey.  Many haunts of mine do not have many doe and one particular place seems to consistently have more bucks.   It's only one buck a year that has all tines intact by rifle season.  We don't shoot doe there.  

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:21:07 (permalink)
"Looks like its time for wayne to start spouting off. Oh goodie. "

Me spouting off? Not hardly. Just one post made to defend myself and my position. I didnt say anything out of line or anything that shouldnt have been an expected response to your post. Id expect the same from you if you were slighted. Whos the guy that went off on personal attacks against all the complainers here? (which im assuming includes me).

"I am very glad you are more successful than me. Congrats. When's the last time you shot a doe ?"

Here in Pa, Its been awhile. By choice. And the way things are, it will be awhile into the near future at least. I hunt buck only in Pa, and pretty much exclusively archery, no deer rifle hunting at all. Also hunt coyotes, turkey and sometimes fox...groundhog...

"Are you sure it's me that is being ignored ?"

Well lets see... How many "complainers" as you call them have heeded your advice and quit complaining? As for the complainers... Lets see, we've had fee increase prevented.. forced at least SOME changes...and more WILL be on the way if we all stick to our guns & legislators etc. do as well...We caused the audit to take place.... gained support from legislators....even had mention made in the audit of the unending complaints and discontent coming out of Pa hunter ranks.. NONE of those things happen if all is hunky dory appearing and noone says anything. Sorry, dont see your point.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/15 18:32:22
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:44:00 (permalink)

I think that's it in a nutshell-----some hunters have quit because of it, some still hunt but complain about it, some have adapted the best they could, and some have private ground to hunt where they haven't been seriously affected by it. The bottom line however is that with the exception of reducing the herd there is very little the PGC said would happen as a result that actually has.

The breeding mean for our parallel has always been November 15 + or - a few days.   So no, the breeding window didn't change. 

HOWEVER, the number of doe bred in the first cycle versus the second has.  You know the earlier they are bred, the earlier they are born.   You know what a late birth does to antlers.    (its those spikes you are so worried about doing all the breeding) And the eariler the fawns are born, the stronger they are by fall and better equipped they are to survive the stresses of winter.  AR also has increased buck survival bettering the amount of doe bred in the first cycle. It's a shame the pgc site is so hard to navigate, and the fact that many many studies are now offline or I'd post some data. 

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:52:56 (permalink)
HOWEVER, the number of doe bred in the first cycle versus the second has.  You know the earlier they are bred, the earlier they are born

Let's see if you can provide a link to the data that supports that claim. If the number of doe bred on the first cycle has increased , then there should have been a significant shift in the breeding window and that didn't happen. All the data needed to support or refute your claim is provided in the PGC AWR which are readily available on the PGC website and it is obvious you never read them.

There never was a problem with late breeding or the productivity rate of our does. Alt just made that up to sucker hunters into killing more doe.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 18:54:11 (permalink)
"HOWEVER, the number of doe bred in the first cycle versus the second has."

No it hasnt. And you have no data showing that it has, not because its "now offline" but because it doesnt exist. The only data available simply shows on the annual reports that the window from Oct 16-Dec 16 that the same percentage of adult doe were bred in 2008 as there was in 2000, 01, and 02...around our all time high herd years. No change.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:05:28 (permalink)

"Looks like its time for wayne to start spouting off. Oh goodie. "

Me spouting off? Not hardly. Just one post made to defend myself and my position. I didnt say anything out of line or anything that shouldnt have been an expected response to your post. Id expect the same from you if you were slighted. Whos the guy that went off on personal attacks against all the complainers here? (which im assuming includes me).

"I am very glad you are more successful than me. Congrats. When's the last time you shot a doe ?"

Here in Pa, Its been awhile. By choice. And the way things are, it will be awhile into the near future at least. I hunt buck only in Pa, and pretty much exclusively archery, no deer rifle hunting at all. Also hunt coyotes, turkey and sometimes fox...groundhog...

"Are you sure it's me that is being ignored ?"

Well lets see... How many "complainers" as you call them have heeded your advice and quit complaining? As for the complainers... Lets see, we've had fee increase prevented.. forced at least SOME changes...and more WILL be on the way if we all stick to our guns & legislators etc. do as well...We caused the audit to take place.... gained support from legislators....even had mention made in the audit of the unending complaints and discontent coming out of Pa hunter ranks.. NONE of those things happen if all is hunky dory appearing and noone says anything. Sorry, dont see your point.

Your spouting off is when you start typing real fast and editing your posts a bunch.  It's a hoot to watch !  I did not attack you.  I offered suggestions that you use as saying are attacks.  If your panties get in a bunch over that, that's your issue.   You are not required to read what I write.  There is an ignor feature available.    A few admins around if you want to complain about me "attacking" you. 

As I already stated, complainers just complain.  Then they complain again.  I won't change them.  But I enjoy pointing out that they could spend their time addressing the issues they complain about.  I guess I'll have to stop complaining about complaining since I'm hurtin' yer fillings.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:11:00 (permalink)

HOWEVER, the number of doe bred in the first cycle versus the second has.  You know the earlier they are bred, the earlier they are born

Let's see if you can provide a link to the data that supports that claim. If the number of doe bred on the first cycle has increased , then there should have been a significant shift in the breeding window and that didn't happen. All the data needed to support or refute your claim is provided in the PGC AWR which are readily available on the PGC website and it is obvious you never read them.

There never was a problem with late breeding or the productivity rate of our does. Alt just made that up to sucker hunters into killing more doe.

Doe come into heat from the amount of light that enters their eyes, hence mid-November every year.  28 days later, it happens again.   More doe bred in the first cycle, has nothing to do with a breeding window shift.  It remains mid-November.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:14:27 (permalink)
Editing posts shows me to be somehow "upset"? Then how do you explain all these posts and about 75% of my posts which also end up edites on other topics? Guess talking general fishing just pizzes me off and sends me into an emotional frenzy similar to your fits when proven wrong over and over again eh? lmao. What a character.

Links showing silver full of ....again.

I have no reason to complain to anyone about your postings. I said my piece, and told you what i think already. As usual trying to turn something into something its not.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:18:12 (permalink)

"HOWEVER, the number of doe bred in the first cycle versus the second has."

No it hasnt. And you have no data showing that it has, not because its "now offline" but because it doesnt exist. The only data available simply shows on the annual reports that the window from Oct 16-Dec 16 that the same percentage of adult doe were bred in 2008 as there was in 2000, 01, and 02...around our all time high herd years. No change.

Nope, I don't have it.  And you are welcome to make whatever assumptions you want.  Last time I asked the pgc for data was when a guy was whinin' that bowhunters kill all the big bucks.  I told him a collared study was done in central PA collared bucks, 94% survived archery.  36% survived rifle.   It took four days to get the data (that once existed on their site but no more), and emails went to Jerry Feaser to get it.  It was like pulling teeth to get ahold of that.   I ain't doing it again, especially for you !  lol

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:22:57 (permalink)

Editing posts shows me to be somehow "upset"? Then how do you explain all these posts and about 75% of my posts which also end up edites on other topics? Guess talking general fishing just pizzes me off and sends me into an emotional frenzy similar to your fits when proven wrong over and over again eh? lmao. What a character.

I have no reason to complain to anyone about your postings. I said my piece, and told you what i think already. As usual trying to turn something into something its not.

I didn't say upset.  I said panties in a bunch.   Your fingees go alot fast than yer brain.   You submit posts then edit them while I'm responding.  Makes it difficult to follow.   Comical but challenging.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:25:07 (permalink)

Please stop hurtin' my fillings. 

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/15 19:25:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Doe come into heat from the amount of light that enters their eyes, hence mid-November every year.  28 days later, it happens again.   More doe bred in the first cycle, has nothing to do with a breeding window shift.  It remains mid-November.
]

Here is what you said in a previous post.
The breeding mean for our parallel has always been November 15 + or - a few days. So no, the breeding window didn't change.

Once again you contradicted yourself within a few posts. Do you have any idea why the breeding window extends into Feb. and do you know what that indicates?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to: