Hi im a NOVICE!

Author
TransAmWS6
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/14 17:33:52 (permalink)

Hi im a NOVICE!

really wanna get into flyfishing, not just for trout but for everything.  would like advice on a first flyrod to get me started.  i will probably start using it in the local streams and creeks that hold trout bass catfish walleye, up erie for steelheads, and then hopefully be abel to use it anywhere eventually

17 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/14 19:34:20 (permalink)
    5wt- the beginner rod that will fish for just about anything
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/15 04:20:13 (permalink)
    I'd suggest a 6 myself just because most beginners will want a moderate-fast action rod and most moderate-fast rods in a 5 wt aren't powerful enough for a beginner at steelhead.  Also, most beginners on steelhead will want to fish lower walnut or somewhere else that there are plenty of fish (and thus plenty of people).  An inexperienced fly angler in crowded conditions with a slightly underpowered rod adds up to some frustration all around.

A 9' 6 wt with a moderate fast action and a decent disk drag reel will do you well to catch almost anything in fresh water and enough saltwater to make it worth bringing.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Bowhunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/15 08:02:32 (permalink)
    Hard to pick one rod that will cover all the types of fish you want to catch (for a beginner).  A 5 wt is a great middle weight for all the species you mentioned.  But as stated, a beginner will be under-gunned for the larger fish.  If you fish the chutes at walnut a steelhead will run you clean to Manchester hole.
    Go to a reputable fly shop and see what beginner outfits they have.  Cortland makes some nice combo’s.  If you like it then you can start getting better rods and/or rods for specific species.  A couple casting lesions might save a lot of aggravation.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/15 13:11:53 (permalink)
    TA   I am about to put the finishing touches on an 8'6" 5 WT..  I decided I am going to sell it because I have too many now...  If you are interested shoot me a PM with your phone number  ..  If you get in touch with me soon maybe I can do some personalizing on it for you...  I'll give you a great deal....

Skip
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/15 19:54:09 (permalink)
    is it 5wt enough for starters?  i never fish any creeks up erie besides the mile creeks, mostly way up 20, sometimes 12 or 16.  cant stand the other side were people fish on top of each other, i mean i know there may more fish but thats not fun.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/15 19:56:44 (permalink)
    Thats what I fish all the time  Works great on the streams you fish ... I live on one of those streams
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/10/16 00:21:19 (permalink)
    I got a St. Croix 7 wght Avid Series 9 footer earlier this year and I love it.  I've used it way over 100 times since I bought it and it has caught everything the Yough and Walnut creek has to offer.  It's a 4piece so it's easy to break down and carry wherever i need to go.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/07 17:13:27 (permalink)
    TA, if you're fish'n P.A. streams a 5wt. 8'6" is the perfect rod for me. i fish everything from small native streams to the clarion river for smallies. i'm not saying a 5wt. is not right for erie but just start'n go with something a little heavier. nagey suggests at least a 9' medium to medium-fast. steelies produce a lot torque taken off and quick jolts. if you aren't ready you'll break off with a fast rod. i just got a 9'6" orvis rod for this season. i get comments about the length but for high sticken, driften and playing a fresh chromer i wouldn't want anything else for the price. one rod for so many kinds of fish is really hard to pin point for someone just getting in on the fun of fly-fishing. good luck ~doubletaper
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/08 07:51:17 (permalink)
    all this is good information TransAM.  8'6" 5wt is my favourite rod.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/08 09:26:57 (permalink)
    Believe me your not going to spend all your life fishing small streams if what you said about all the species of fish you want to fish for. Go with the 8' 6" or a 9' 6wt. , your going to need some back bone for casting streamers and the larger flies.  After you have learned to fly fish and do it for awhile you can always get a 5wt and maybe even a 7wt. . Believe me you will own more than one rod if you get serious about this sport called Fly Fishing!!!

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    FreshSteelfeel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/09 08:38:16 (permalink)
     What companies do you guys recommend and any good shops to go to around NWpa?
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/09 09:36:00 (permalink)
    freshsteel, first of all i am not promoting any fly shop or company, he asked a question and i am answering him... the neshannook fly shop in volant has a selection of orvis,templefork,winstons and will let you cast them outside. maurers in franklin, on rte.8 have cortland and a few others but take your own reel, i'm sure they might let you try them also. rte66 outdoors shop in shippenville sells cortland and a couple other brands also. the orvis dealer in tionesta only has orvis i beleave. there's a outdoors discounters near the grove city outlet mall. other fly guys can give you info on companies warrnties. you have to know what flex you want though. my favorite rod is my 8'6" 5wt. from scott rod company. i broke the tip off the beginning of this trout season after i've had it for about 5years. they repaired it for free and got it back to me in a timely manner. i have a 9' costume made damon rod from new york. if i ever want to trade it in they will do so. my other rods i've never had problems with. all depends how much money you want to spend also. all rods in this day and age will perform. i like rods made in the good 'ol U.S.A. myself. ~doubletaper

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/09 14:56:03 (permalink)
    Trans Am,
          I will give you the same answer I have given to this request before.  Go to Wal-Mart, buy a cheap Shakespeare complete outfit. (6-7 wt)   Learn to fish with it.  If you break it no big deal (it's cheap).  It is heavy enough for steel and light enough for everything else.  Once you hae learned the rudiments of F/F then you can go to fisherie's site or to Poor Richards and upgrade.  Do not buy expensive stuff right away.  You will probably break at least one rod while you are learning, and it hurts a lot less to lose 20 bucks than to lose 300.
          Also inquire about someone on this board who will take a day and fish with you to teach you the "ropes".  There are many really good people on here who will fish/teach with you and that makes the learning curve much shorter.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/09 16:41:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Trans Am,
         I will give you the same answer I have given to this request before.  Go to Wal-Mart, buy a cheap Shakespeare complete outfit. (6-7 wt)   Learn to fish with it.  If you break it no big deal (it's cheap).  It is heavy enough for steel and light enough for everything else.  Once you hae learned the rudiments of F/F then you can go to fisherie's site or to Poor Richards and upgrade.  Do not buy expensive stuff right away.  You will probably break at least one rod while you are learning, and it hurts a lot less to lose 20 bucks than to lose 300.
         Also inquire about someone on this board who will take a day and fish with you to teach you the "ropes".  There are many really good people on here who will fish/teach with you and that makes the learning curve much shorter.

Ditto what indsguiz wrote.

You will need a reel and line, too.
    This is an excellent way to see if you like this type of fishing.
    Fly Fishing does have advantages but also some downfalls.
    Try it and remember your casting the line not the fly to the fish.
    Chris
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/10 08:59:12 (permalink)
    In my opinion for trout you want a 5 weight or smaller for steelhead and bass you want 6 or higher, 6 seems a little on the small side a 7 would be good. I know some of you guys fish 6's but I was wondering after some heavier steelhead  if it would break the spine of the rod. I was at sportsman wharehouse the other day and they had G.G wright rods that seemed really nice for the price $40-$50.. Also when I was at poor richards they had cortland combos for $59.00
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/11 21:59:13 (permalink)
    transam, got to agree with venestbrew and chrisrowboat on buy something cheap now, make sure you like and learn than upgrade. i started with a $34.00 8wt,9' rod from wall-mall, $25.00 reel from wall-mall. i couldn't find any dtf line in 8wt. so i spent about $15.00 on a level floating line i bought at trader home. i did make sure i got good leader and tippet material. all this for less than $100.00 and caught some hefty, torpedo stricken chromers on it. never broke it and use it as a back up now or when a guest needs one to try.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Bowhunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Hi im a NOVICE! 2007/11/12 08:27:24 (permalink)
    Unlike some of the guys, I would not recommend a cheap outfit from wal-mart.  Instead I would suggest looking into some of the starter-combo outfits that any decent flyshop should carry.  I've tried casting some of the walmart stuff and I think a beginner would have a difficult time casting any distance.  You should be able to get a starter outfit with everything for under $150.
    Jump to: