2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/30 12:52:35 (permalink)

opening day

weather should be nice.......70 some degrees........and no rain

where is everyone headed?

I plan on taking the kids to Deep Creek Lake and putting the canoe to good use.......this will be their first official 8am trout opener

www.2bonthewater.com

20 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: opening day 2010/03/30 23:45:42 (permalink)
    Vinny,I'll be taking my granddaughter out to probably the Jorden creek,we went out tonight and picked up some worms.
    I'll be talking to you tomorrow.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: opening day 2010/03/31 05:40:07 (permalink)
    Vin - I'll be fishin the West Branch of the Octoraro - south of Lancaster in the fly area. Kind of tradition for me. The past few years, I've had the crick to myself. Or maybe I'll fish your favorite stream........the Tully. Don't think so. 

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/03/31 16:42:00 (permalink)
    took the little man to help Manatawny Creek this afternoon...........he is passed-out-cold on the couch.........

seems like fewer buckets per stop than I remember..........fun to see the old boss again.........

PA--Jordan Creek is loaded with FEESH........you guys should have fun..........I need to take a few anti-inflamatories before i start to mess with the canoe.........

Steely---it must suck to have a stream to yourself........but guessing most of the regs areas will be void of folks..

time to grill something............

www.2bonthewater.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/03/31 18:34:14 (permalink)
    told the wife we were leaving at 5am in the morning.........THAT ISN'T HAPPENING........so, the kids will miss the 8am start time.......or not......might just take them and find us a spot........the wife wants to wait until the afternoon when it is warmer......lot of good that does.........

www.2bonthewater.com
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: opening day 2010/03/31 19:38:21 (permalink)
    Vin, first day always brings back memories of takin my two son's with their micky mouse painted zebco rods down to the trout stream @ 6:30am to get to the hole first. I'd take hot chocolate, ect down just to keep them busy and warm. They would fish for about 2-3 hours when they would have enough of it. Lots of good memories with them on the first day. Man......that was close to 20 years ago!!! Have lots of fun my friend - they grow up so fast. It's great your sharin this day/morning with them.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/03/31 21:03:27 (permalink)
    My grandaughter is visiting with mom and dad,so I'll be going down to the creek early and secure a spot,then I'll phone them and they'll get there just before the open.I expect after a hour or so she'll be ready to call it a day,but she's a trooper and was really gung ho on our worm catching last night so who knows?
    Vinny time flew on me,I'll try giving you a yell tomorrow.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/02 22:56:00 (permalink)
    loaded the canoe..........gear is next...........

Good Luck Fellas............

my daughter goes:   Daddy......I want to go fishing tomorrow.......but not at our creek.......I said, that's fine......we're taking the canoe to the lake...........her look was priceless..............

I hope they catch something..........

www.2bonthewater.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/03 09:22:31 (permalink)
    steely and pa......

someone threw me a curveball this morning..........got to bed at 4am--after getting all the leg work done

get up.......the wife is feeling sick.....she is hypoglycemic......so, she has gone from lethargic, to a shower.....back to the bed.....now sitting in the driveway in a bath towel ( good morning visual for any of the neighbors)

little vinny fell out of my bed this morning--all excited and WAMP on the floor--so he was crying

then as Zoe was eating her lucky charms.....she was told we might not be going fishing......so, she started crying....I told her we can still go to Manatawny Creek.......and she sniffles and goes, but daddy I want to go in the canoe......I told her.......me too kiddo........

shoulder is hanging from loading that darn canoe on the top of the Armada........

well, have go check on the wife.............

www.2bonthewater.com
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: opening day 2010/04/03 11:54:00 (permalink)
    Dang Vinnie, sorry to hear that. Sometimes its just not meant to be....
    I hope the rest of the day goes better for ya, you have my sympathy.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/03 17:12:13 (permalink)
    Yo Vinny,got to the stream at 6:30 AM and got our spot and waited for the Granddaughter to show up.While waiting noticed bits of power bait and some dead minnows on ths shore....hmmmmmm.
    Erin got there in time and at 8 AM it was game on,except there was no action at first.You really had to fish for them but soon I got one on for Erin and she reeled it in.While taking it off the hook I noticed more power bait down its throat....hmmmmm.Managed to get Erin on two more and then it shut down and she and my wife,daughter and son-in-law got bored and left.My buddy and I think someone was there before the opener and thinned them out,there was a ton of fish stocked in that area and there should have been more action.Any way we moved to a more remote area and limited out.I must add that the overall size was good,they were all 11-13 inches.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/03 20:46:46 (permalink)
    good job Jack........at least she got one !!!!

I took little Vinny down to our creek....he put his little vest on and away we went.......he caught one by himself.....a little slow on the hookset......and hooked 3 others and let him reel them in.......Zoe stayed at the house with sick mommy and started coloring the easter eggs........then both little rugrats had a mini-easter egg hunt.......not a bad day........but missed the opener.......no big deal to me.......and the kids seem fine with the day......

Hmmmm  dead minnies and powerbait........darn poachers...........it was always nice to catch one........the best poacher I caught was probation officer.........I'm driving at night--see 4 backs with folks along the creek......I about ripped my head off because I didn't undo my seatbelt before I decided to jump out of the cruiser......come across one adult male and 3 teenagers.........guy had a rod and ditched it real quick.......make small talk....he says they weren't fishing........I find the rod.....rigged with corn......and wet reel / line......I go, care to explain....the guy says, its mine........we were looking to see if there were any fish in there.......at this point I pull him aside and ask the kids to go back to their tent........Guy gives me who-to-do.......couldn't scout for them...bla bla bla.....he was at bridge--bet ya dollars to donuts there are fish there......I ask for ID....and pulls out a BADGE........I go, yes.....that's nice...shiny, but I ask for your drivers license........he kept blabbering on about getting cut a break because he had a badge--  my philosophy is  that you cannot enforce the law if you don't respect the law --  and besides......this guy wasn't a cop.......not even close (and nope, wouldn't give a cop a break)....so, I go the guy---        Let me get this straight.....you have a badge and want a break....he goes yes sir.......I go: I will assume with your job title that you are college educated......he goes yes sir.....so, you are pretty smart and hip to things.........I mean you do understand right and wrong right?  He goes yes sir.....I continue:  SO, let me get this straight.......you, a educated man wants a break.....a person who should know better.....does know better wants a break because you have a badge..........now, what about the guy down the creek who has a HS education and busts his butt for a living......nice guy but not really hip to what might be right and what might be wrong.......if he did break the law, it was because he made a mistake, an innocent mistake because he didn't know.........I then go:  so, I don't understand how you expect me to let you go but cite another guy because he doesn't have a badge: Now, drivers license please.......the guy is livid.....I take his fishing rod and tell him I need to confiscate it and take photos......and that he could be cited for so and so and so and so.........I write up his ticket........it is dark.....flashlight only and I can tell his face is red.......he is ****ed.......I cite him for having fishing gear within' 25 feet of approved trout waters before the opening hour of 8am......couldn't cite for pre-season fishing because I didn't see him fish............I could have pieced the puzzle together but what it would have come down to was this:  if at a hearing--the guy says wasn't me....I didn't do it----  judge goes OK, officer did you see the man fishing--I have to say NO--case closed--thrown out............wrote the ticket that would stand even if the guy went to court.........we part ways.........I get a call from my boss monday afternoon saying so and so just called the office wanting his ticket taken away........what did you tell him.......the ticket stands and that I stand behind my officer..........THANKS boss

I don't get people.........the worst was a Pittsburgh cop who was snagging steelhead---he even booted a fish 20-feet to slide it across the shale into the creek after he beached it like he was bass fishing from a boat....the other officers I was working with let him go with a warning because he was a cop.......my take is that anyone who enforces the law is held to a higher standard.......someone to look up to.........not a guy who wants a break for doing the wrong thing.............silly world...........

www.2bonthewater.com
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: opening day 2010/04/03 21:52:17 (permalink)
    Fished a steam in Schuylkill today.. Took 5 brookies.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/03 22:12:57 (permalink)
    I love brookies.......so purty

what stream?  wild trout stream or stocked?

www.2bonthewater.com
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: opening day 2010/04/04 00:51:25 (permalink)
    Fished a local stream with my family and had to get our spot at 4 am--we wanted the honey hole. Our plan worked just fine as between me, my son, niece, and father-in-law we c&r'd about 35 in an hour of fishing. Mostly nice bows with a few brooks mixed in.

So then, we drove by the Little Schuylkill and in a stretch of just over 2 miles, we counted over 250 vehicles. I have never seen anything like that madness. Glad I wasn't part of that mess.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: opening day 2010/04/04 11:05:55 (permalink)
    I think most were stockies.. But the colors said otherwise. I'll put some pix up when I get home..

Stopped by locust lake then. What a mess. +100 boats on the big lake.
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: opening day 2010/04/04 11:22:07 (permalink)
    This morning was much better as far as the crowds. Figured I'd get up and be fishing at 6 am. Only guy in the hole. Hit a dozen in an hour before it was home to church and the family thing for lunch.

Plan on getting my 2 1/2 year old his first trout this week!
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/04 11:52:24 (permalink)
    nysteelieguy  --  good luck getting the little dude on a trout !!!!!   take plenty of photos !!!!

can't wait to see the BROOKIE pics........

I somehow, managed to get out of easter----we usually go home to the wife's parents house--all her family usually shows up......tons of people........somehow, I didn't have to go.......yeah me..........now, all I have to do is get dressed for fishing.................should have some water to myself..........

www.2bonthewater.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/04 16:26:35 (permalink)
    Fished Manatawny Creek for about 3 hours..........caught 2 fish.........small rainbow on a estaz streamer and a golden rainbow on a black BH beadtail stonefly

missed 3 fish on dry flies.........then I looked at my fly......the hook was broke.......

nice and quiet until about 315--then everyone was back on the creek.........

weather was beautiful..........

www.2bonthewater.com
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/04 23:19:30 (permalink)
    Vinny,can you get out later this week?
    I'm going to Ohio for some spring steel next Sunday,can't wait to catch a lunker in Cleveland! LMAO
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: opening day 2010/04/05 11:26:41 (permalink)
    Nope....the wife is working M-F.......so I am on fulltime Daddy patrol............and fulltime job hunting patrol

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: