Trouting

Author
BWAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/29 10:09:36 (permalink)

Trouting

In lieu of Thursdays trout opener and the 80 degree temps forecasted for the weekend, I have been getting my trout gear in order.  This is my first "trout season" in NY and was wondering if here in NY do they mostly float stock or  dump buckets in at the access points?  Of course I'd prefer to fish the uncrowded smaller pools, runs and riffles for the less pressured trout, but if I have to stand at the "under the bridge pool" with 10 others for some action than I will.  Also, in PA they stock a few 22"+ hogs in many of the popular streams.  I see that they list a 12-15" stocking on some of the streams, is this a 12-15" average with some hogs tossed in or is 15" the biggest they stock?  Just curious as I know many streams here are capable of supporting holdover trout that can grow to 20" on their own, which is not the case for the majority of Pa streams.

2 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Trouting 2010/03/29 10:33:03 (permalink)
    BW:

Don't know where you will be fishing, but there are many streams in the area that have hold over trout of a nice size.  Also, the Kaydeross has been stocked in the past with a few trout larger than the 12-15" size.  The Kaydeross also has some nice pools in remote spots that hold good sized browns, but they are hard to get out of the branches/logs that form these holding pools.
    Also a nice run of Spring rainbows on the Esopus as the weather warms up along with browns.  Esopus has really improved since they dealt with the silt problem caused by the feeder stream coming in from Schoharie Reservoir.  Best bet for the Esopus rainbows is salmon eggs on a 10/12 hook with a split shot to hold them down on the bottom.

Eagle Ed

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Trouting 2010/03/31 23:37:26 (permalink)
    Good luck to all my ny albany fishermen/gals! wish i wasn't stacked with so much work due to the recent storms! But i do make my own time off!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: