Shawnee

Author
DownSouth1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 102
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/20 20:02:01 (permalink)

Shawnee

Has anyone been fishing Shawnee for Crappies or Northers?

15 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/20 20:33:06 (permalink)
    Made a few casts for crappie using mister twisters but no hits. Did see one dead pike or muskie that would have been in the 40 inch range based on the size of the head. That was about all that was left. Also saw a few dead shad/alwives or whatever.

Saw no one else fishing.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/21 21:52:28 (permalink)
    The crappie bite at Shawnee hasn't been much since the early 90's and the pike,,well they had a good year or 2 around '99 or 2000 they're long gone now. Just carp and baby sized bullheads if they are still there.
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/23 00:31:45 (permalink)
    I remember what that place was like back in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's. Now it's flat out depressing to even ride by it and look at it.
    DownSouth1
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/23 09:46:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I have a camp near Shawnee and hoped that this year would be different. I was past the lake last week and it is still a bad color. When the Fish Comm. decided to try and kill the weeds I think they killed more than the weeds. I wish the Fish Comm. or DCNR would try and find out what happend to this lake. Unless you are a carp fisherman there is nothing to fish for. It trulely is the DEAD SEA.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/23 10:11:29 (permalink)
    Starting back in the mid 80's they were obsessed with killing off the weeds instead of trying to control them. Isn't it ironic that weed growth is the absolute number 1 thing that lake really needs now, well that and some people really dedicated to fixing it.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/23 19:14:53 (permalink)
    Even though I like fishing it for carp you can tell the lake has a huge problem. Thc carp are smaller for there length and any other specie there are stunted. I always wondered if it was farm runoff coming into it.If you go inside the park the water appears somewhat clearer but still nasty. 2 years ago there was some nice weeds in a few spots but its far ways from being a healthy lake. There are still pike to be caught there of legal size but just not like it used to be thats all.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/23 20:42:30 (permalink)
    There were always pike in the lake, but they really took off around 99-2000. It was hard not to catch them fishing almost anywhere in the lake. Now they are very few and far between probably less than before '99 and getting less every year with the water conditions like all the other fish. 
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/24 10:09:35 (permalink)
    You forgot about the millions of midget bluegills.......

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    DownSouth1
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/24 21:41:18 (permalink)
    Does anyone realy know what happened to this lake? Does anyone know if the fish comm. or DCNR is doing anything about it?
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/24 21:58:44 (permalink)
    Honestly nobody knows...

Off topic but DownSouth by any chance your that duUD from Florida that stays in the camp over summer?

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/24 23:30:22 (permalink)
    They hired a company to do an assesment to come up with possible solutions. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/shawnee/shawnee_lakereport2009.pdf We shall see what happens. Its a great place and once the water is fixed will be very desireable to fish again.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/24 23:35:34 (permalink)
    The outside group who looked at the data pretty much concluded that blu-green algae was the culprit. It took over the water preventing sunlight from reaching the lakebed and growing aquatic plantlife and killing off what was already there. It's being fed by Nitrogen that is getting into the lake, thats what they are trying to figure out, where the Nitrogen is coming from. The only fish that feed on that algae are those shad that have over-populated the lake in recent years. The lack of weed growth is killing the spawning of the gamefish and leaving what does survive without cover to hide from predator fish. Treating the algae is pointless until they find the source of the nitrogen that is bolstering the algae growth.

The fish biologist working that lake said we'll never see the lake get back to where is was in the late 90's but he thinks they can salvage the fishery,,whatever that means.
    DownSouth1
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/25 14:59:01 (permalink)
    If it is nitrogen that is killing this lake I would hope that someone is trying to find out where it is coming from. If the source is I.D. can they be held responsible for the damage to the lake? Does anyone know who is working on this if anyone, you know with the PFBC needing money and DCNR being short change in the PA. Budget is it likely that no one is working on it.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shawnee 2010/03/25 23:50:38 (permalink)
    You can find the whole report the outside agency gave the pfbc on the pfbc.com They were thinking the nitrogen was coming in from one of the feeder streams. The farms upstream were kind of getting blamed but those farms have always been there, I heard a rumor that this problem started the same year they were dredging by the breast of the dam, maybe they hit something there that got into the water. Who knows but I dought that its getting much attention dollars wise with the money crisis this state is in.
    1eyeblind
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Shawnee 2010/04/06 23:23:36 (permalink)
    Shawnee is a shadow of what it used to be. Unfortunately, the DCNR reacted to those that screamed the loudest & they weren't the fishermen. The recreational boater & "angler" squawked long and hard about getting from point A to point B without having to clean weeds off their props or paddles. The PA Fish & Boat comm recommended, if it was to be drawn down, a 4' drawdown every third year might work to "freeze" the shallow weed roots & retard their growth. This was working fine with minimal growth the year after the drawdown, and increasing the following two years until it became weed choked the third (which wasn't a bad thing). After many cycles, DCNR, because some other local DCNR lakes were on a drawdown cycle, decided to go to a two year drawdown. This two year cycle lasted three times (six years). This coincided with the collapse of shallow weed growth, discolored waters, & spiraled into what we have now. Some chemical treatment was done, but this was pretty much contained to specific areas (beach & some others) & the effect was minimal. The drawdowns occured before & after the major drawdown. I've no idea if this helped to elevate the nitrogen levels, but thats kinda the history of what led up to the decline. As far as I know, there was no dredging anywhere in the lake - that is extremely expensive. They didn't even dredge the year of the major drawdown. They did extensive dam work & moved some rubble & concrete around, but did not dredge. The Pike explosion of the late 1990's early 2000's was due to the aftermath of the major drawdown - the habitat was perfect for Pike growth, as the upper end of the lake became a grass field, providing perfect conditions for young of the year Pike. The local bait shops claim that the lake "seemed" a bit clearer (& I use that word gingerly) last year, but it hasn't been significant. Unfortunately, it'll probably have to run its course, however long that might be. From what the bait shops now stock, carp fishermen are doing well, & though I don't wish to demean them, or their fish, (It wasn't really bad for carp then, either)I think the vast majority of us would welcome a return to "the good ole days". One good thing is that if you fish the place, you pretty much have it to yourself...
    Jump to: