Spring Fishing the Oak

Author
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/15 15:39:37 (permalink)

Spring Fishing the Oak

Been to the Oak and other N.Y. tribs in the fall, but never tried fishing in the Spring. I know the Kings are gone and most of the Browns too; but I'm willing to drive over 6 hours to try for some Steelhead. The ones I've seen caught in the Fall have a great color and the average size seems to be bigger than Erie. I don't expect the numbers that Erie has, but has any-one tried the New York tribs in the Spring?

5 Replies Related Threads

sealegs2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Spring Fishing the Oak 2010/03/15 15:49:27 (permalink)
    I understand there are fresh fish in 18 mile. You can call the Slippery Sinker at (716)778-0713. They usually know what's happening and can advise.

Good luck
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Spring Fishing the Oak 2010/03/15 23:04:33 (permalink)
    Henhouse,

I usually check out the site I posted below, He gives reports from fall thru the spring time.  I would like to know myself how it is in the spring, I've never been up except in the fall.  Please post if you go up.

http://www.orleansoutdoor.com/conditions.htm
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Spring Fishing the Oak 2010/03/16 13:39:27 (permalink)
    Thanks Washdog; I've had that site on my favorites for a while. Looking for some personal info from some-one who has been there in the Spring. If you have ever been in his store in the Fall, I hope you dealt with him on one of his good days. He can rub people the wrong way quickly. Also read his reports last Fall about being one of the best years for Browns. I fished for 4 days and had my worst year at the Oak and came home to read about the great run of fish. 08 was my best year in the Fall (late Oct.) Don't quite know the exact date for a Spring trip; but if I do, I'll let you know how it was. I'll even give 18 mile a look.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Spring Fishing the Oak 2010/03/16 17:17:19 (permalink)
    Hen,

It took me a while to get used to talkin with that dude, Ron I think is his name. Calls himself the Licorice Man on his site.   hahaha  We always stop and pick up our license at his shop when we get up there. He always seemed like we were bothering him but this past fall he was a little more pleasant. But ya most of the time they all say hell ya come on up, fishings great.  Sry but thats all I could offer ya having never been up in the spring. I was there in mid October and a nice bunch of Browns hads just come up and I was able to land a nice one on the fly. That would be great if you would post, i would definately like to get a first hand opinion on the Oak in the spring. 
    Hope you get to go and have a good safe trip.
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Spring Fishing the Oak 2010/03/17 21:08:13 (permalink)
    just got back... muddy with no fish.
    18 mile might be a better choice.
    Jump to: