Helpful Replypyma spillway battles post

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
  • Reward points: 0
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/06 20:01:56 (permalink)
Annnndd, flatfish!   I still have about two dozen of them in a slew of patterns and colors, many still made of balsa!  I still will occasionally drift one off the bottom with crawlers and they still produce.  Hell, the fish in that lake never saw them before because they're so out of date   lol

"Fair winds and following seas..."
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/06 20:29:51 (permalink)
Don't over look the Johnson Thin Fisher. Fish USA carries them. Hooks are kinda weak but I switch them out for a little bigger and heavier wire. They took a few fish this past fall. Not to mention they have a much better price point than the Sonar or VibE. Not a ton of colors available but they have the basics, and let's face it, there are only about 4 or 5 goto colors anyways.

Kinda refreshing to have a fishing thread going. It's been a little while.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/06 20:34:20 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
So if I throw a couple of these on a sonar and rip it as hard as I can ill have better luck at the spillway 😀

Oh Lord!!! Lol. Can you imagine walking down to the cement with that. Haha.
opsman
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/06 21:17:27 (permalink)
Lol   What do I know??  Btw, would always get my flatfish out of the package, take that two hook contraption off and replace with a treble hook!  One of my favorites was an x7, blue top fading to white under belly.   ANd Rich, I still have one of the frog finish if that was the one that had a darker green base coat with black circles surrounded in yellow!

opsman
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/06 21:28:26 (permalink)
Heddon River Runt   lol

Sujie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/07 07:30:12 (permalink)
Flatfish ...... that's about all my dad used in Erie for steelhead and salmon back in the 70's.

opsman
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/07 10:44:58 (permalink)
So with snow on the ground I decided to go through my stuff....again...   These are the original flatfish that I could find.  All wood.   Yes, I know, I threw in two original Lazy Ikes too!  As you can tell when drifting or tolling I rarely gave up on a snagged lure.  Cost too **** much, lol.  Rich, there are actually two frog patterns in different sizes but neither was the infamous "bleeding" frog that had red splashed on the rear end.
Just to give you some idea, a couple of the yellow ones were given to me by my dad in the early sixties, and he had had them for awhile!   I don't throw much fishing stuff away!  It's funny how I can't remember dates and names and such but I do remember that the blue and white one was a gift from my cousin for watching his cat while his family went on vacation to Kinzua (I believe the camping area was named dew drop)?  At the time, he was 8, I was 9, and I'm just about to turn 65!  Somethings just stick with you!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/07 11:40:42 (permalink)
Opsman, I bin gittin edukated by watshing a TV program called "Hoarding" and I think i mite be seenin some simptums.

Enjoyed hearing the memory, I'll bet that tackle box has many more.

Tight lines

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Ugly Stik
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/07 12:11:10 (permalink)
I have replaced my Sonars with Rapala jigging Rap's. These work well even in the summer in the deeper pools. Make sure you put a swivel above them as they will twist your line. I use a #7.
I don't even venture to the Spillway in March. It's just too crazy. They have been snagging eye with sonars in the river as well. Years ago some guys across from me were snagging on Elk Creek. The fish warden had filmed them with a video camera. I imagine that was an expensive outing.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/07 16:42:34 (permalink)
Nice collection Opsman, mine are all the plastic newer ones, and yes they still produce nice catches. Most are Flatfish but some are Kwikfish brands. Steelhead will crush the smaller ones when nothing else will work. That vibrating wiggle just triggers some crazy instant strikes. I've caught many nice Niagara Laker on the brighter colors ones drifting in the river by boat. Fishing them in crystal clear water is awesome watching..... those big Trout follow and inhale that whole lure like a natural reflex. Always carry a few in my vest for general purpose......silver chrome & blue seem to produce a tad more !

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/08 10:14:14 (permalink)
 Sonars & blade baits are deadly for "catching" fish in my experience. I use them through the ice and catch eyes and some bass. I even met a guy on Pymy this winter that caught two cats on them on day. I caught one Carp Sucker through the ice this winter and two years ago. I have used them in Presq Isle for smallmouth and perch with great success and smallmouths and eyes in the river. They work great casting them at times and smallmouth crush them.
  I use Castmasters and Pimples for vertical jigging through the ice also, however the blade baits out produce. Raps and the like also work but I think snag fish far more often than blade baits.
  If you want to observe those that have the intent to snag watch their method. Far more fish are snagged by those that drop the lure onto the bottom on a slack line then pause and hard snap it back up. I think the fish come up and hover over the lure and get snagged on the snap. Those that keep the lure just off the bottom then work it up snag very few fish. Three years ago I caught many eyes through the ice and never snagged one. If you want a smashing strike try casting them in the Allegheny for smallmouths.
 I use Flatfish and Lazy Ikes and Rapalas and spinners of all kinds but I find at certain times Blade baits work great. 

post edited by treesparrow - 2018/03/08 10:18:24
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/08 19:10:31 (permalink)
If u like the flatfish style of bait, check out the Yakima mag lips. They've been very effective for me the last couple years for eyes and steel on Erie.
opsman
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/08 19:23:57 (permalink)
That's because they bought out Helin bait and tackle.  Mr Helin was the  originator of the flatfish back in the 30s or 40s.  He sold out to Yakima in the early eighties

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/09 07:32:23 (permalink)
I've fish the spillway from the early 70's. Mind you there has been many years in between that I've never fish it. My last  time was 2007 and 2008. Yes fish are snagged,yes fish are caught inside the mouth. I ice fish a lot and way back in the 70's blade baits where used on Pymy,Berlin,Mosquito. I've probably got 40 of 50 in a ice fishing box. They even worked a Latonka on eyes three winters ago. I've caught eyes,white bass,bass,crappie,
perch,and musky on them through the ice and open water. I just don't like combat fishing anymore,that's one reason I gave up fishing the Erie tribes. I've got a pile of brand new ViBE's in the package if someone interested. I don't know what they sell for now,I bought then in 2007-08. The fish that do hit them seem to be on the drop more than the lift. I've never used the 1/2 oz models. I've had my best luck on the small 1/8 oz ViBE's. Back in the day you'd find me fishing out of Snodgrass in duck season out till Thanksgiving catching limits of eyes in 18' fow. In the winter my best day was 45 eyes using a silver buddy. Oh those where the days. Now I just head to Erie the bay and fill the freezer with jumbos,no crowds and I've acquired a taste for those striped rascals. There on the menu tonight,dipped in Andy's Cajun and introduce to the peanut oil fries,and homemade slaw. 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/09 09:04:32 (permalink)
What time is dinner ? ....lol
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/09 09:18:37 (permalink)
6 ish. Ill take out an extra pack. lol This cold March is screwing up my perch fishing. Been catching some big gills and crappie,only went once perching and did good till the wind switched to east and shout them down pronto. There still in deep water,a lot of drinks in the shallows. Town side off Cheastnut or Liberty or out in the deep middle channel. I need 50's and light SW winds.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/09 14:05:00 (permalink)
Fresh Perch or Walleye are hard to beat ! Even harder to say which is better deep fried ,but I'll give Perch a slight grade above. My freezer is empty so hopefully the spring brings on a good bite. Those Erie Rock Bass were awful tasty back in the day too !  
Ugly Stik
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/09 15:54:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2018/03/09 15:57:32
This is making me hungry. My wife substitutes perch fillets for chicken and bakes them chicken parm style with a bit of spaghetti sauce over the cheese. So good. 

opsman
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/09 19:53:54 (permalink)
I hear you dog. I've seen a lot of changes on that lake.   Some good, some not so good.  But that debate is for another time.  I think the thing that has had the biggest impact there (and on fishing in general) is the internet.  Back in the day, stories were passed down by word of mouth and some became exaggerated in the telling, but reputations were made by not only results, but by actions and deeds.  Today, it's too easy for someone to go online and become a self serving expert but what they gain in online persona they sometimes lose in reputation.  Reputations are what people think of you, not what you want to make everyone believe about you.   Most sites have a good core of guys and you can tell that by what OTHER people say about them or how they interact with them.   Unless you fish as a professional, for a living, then each outing should be more about the fishing than the catching....

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/25 08:31:48 (permalink)
Stopped by yesterday at wall to see how the boys were doing. They were catching some perch was all and small at that. No eyes last few days, they claim to cold. I guess there was a confrontation between boat and wall fella with threats and State Troopers were called. Well there are now buoys to keep boats away from the wall. Shore fisherman threatened to shoot holes in boat is what I was told. Shore fisherman claiming he was casting out and boat came in and was blocking him from casting. This is from talking to wall fishermen. I have fished from boat out from wall however I have never fished from the wall. Its not something I care to do however I chuckle at the comradery and fun the fellas seem to enjoy. Even when as yesterday a few were standing there fishing for hours with nothing to show for their effort.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/25 12:12:18 (permalink)
Crazy... combat fishing at its finest

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/25 14:57:54 (permalink)
Once again when will the PBFC wake up to needed new rule changes in that Pymy Snag City zone ! It's totally 100% the Fish Commission's fault to allow that to carry on year after year !

Simply zone it off limits during spawning time like they do for all the state's inland waters......that will work ! Why do they bother to shut down all the inland waters during spawning then ?
Once again the PBFC make no sense on certain issues....and they can't explain why !
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/25 22:00:31 (permalink)
Agreeed i kust seen on Facebook Robinson bait tackle made a post about this issue, just shut it down its stupid but honestly if you can stand there and jig for hrs you should get a psyc evaluation

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/26 08:52:51 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Once again when will the PBFC wake up to needed new rule changes in that Pymy Snag City zone ! It's totally 100% the Fish Commission's fault to allow that to carry on year after year !

Simply zone it off limits during spawning time like they do for all the state's inland waters......that will work ! Why do they bother to shut down all the inland waters during spawning then ?
Once again the PBFC make no sense on certain issues....and they can't explain why !

PFBC can write tickets
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/27 17:19:30 (permalink)
I'm sure they write a few tickets but no wardens work 24/7.

I doubt many bother to work midnight shift...that's only on TV. Even when those poachers and outlaws get caught you got to wonder how long did they actually get away with it before
"the man" busted them!   
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/28 04:49:53 (permalink)
I'm surprised the Russians haven't picked up on it... them nasty drawbacks must taste better

FishSandwichXL
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/28 11:38:11 (permalink)
I think it’s just like trout season...the fish commission wants as many people elbow to elbow in as small of place as possible so they can watch the action from their cars. No walking involved, and less wasted time.
I was planning on taking my kayak up the next time I went, but it seems pretty useless now.
I’ve only fished it there a couple times but each time the people were rowdy but friendly. I use to assume that people just snagged walleyes there, but after seeing it first hand that’s definitely not the case. 99% of the fish caught are legal hooked. At least when I was there, all the fish caught were males. So especially in a lake that has little to no natural reproduction you’re not hurting the population.

I went out and fished the maumee river last spring also and fishing along that chain at Pymie is more sporting then going out there hands down. That entire fishery during the “spawn” is nothing but a floss fest for anyone with a rod and reel.
I think it’s total BS that they would close that area off to boats. Address the people causing the problems don’t punish everyone because some people can’t play nice with others

**the fish commission was running a drone up there earlier this year too
post edited by FishSandwichXL - 2018/03/28 11:39:39
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/28 12:01:06 (permalink)
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/28 12:17:35 (permalink)
Lol anything to get the crowds out! By that report I expect roping 6 legal eyes by 9 😂😂😂

jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: RE: pyma spillway battles post 2018/03/29 09:15:35 (permalink)
fished last night... no action.... water is COLD

and yes walleye last spring was rotten for me...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: