Flasher or Sonar

Author
tommybanzai
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 609
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/19 12:16:24 (permalink)

Flasher or Sonar

Fairly new to Ice Fishing, I am now looking into getting either a flasher or sonar.
I was just looking for some input from users on this forum. I have had some interest in the new Hummingbirds and the Showdown. Anyone have any of these or know anywhere that has the Showdown in stock?

Thanks in advance!

13 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/19 13:54:26 (permalink)
    A flasher is a sonar. Vexilar & Marcum & Humminbird are the main brands of flashers, other brands are available at a lower cost but also a lower quality.

The Showdown has a vertical LCD display makes it look a lot like a normal fishfinder display, not a flashing circle like the others. Board member 2bonthewater has one & likes it, might contact him. Although they're all sold out for the year from what I've heard.

There are a million threads comparing and reviewing all available models on iceshanty.com. From what I've read there are very few complaints about any of the brands/models. It just depends on how much you want to spend & what features you want to have.

FWIW, I bought a used Vex Fl-8SLT this year & really like it. Doesn't have the bells & whistles of the newer / more expensive models, but still serves the purpose. It has really increased my catch.

Good luck.

EDIT:
    Here's a link to 2bonthewater's SHOWDOWN thread...

http://forums.fishusa.com/SHOWDOWN/m_268325/tm.htm

And, here's some flasher info...
    http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_tips/article_020.html
    post edited by Pork - 2010/02/19 14:00:18

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Hooked10
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/19 14:22:23 (permalink)
    I have the Showdown, and i love it!  It works great, and is extremely user friendly!  I ordered mine on the internet from amazon.com...it was the cheapest price!  If u google it, you will find places that have it in stock, and compare prices before you buy!
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1256
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/19 16:48:44 (permalink)
    I have the humminbird ICE-55 I also have a vexilar fl-18.You cant go wrong with either units they will increase your catch and also your fun.The bird has alot of bells and whistles but man it really works.again both are super.You will love it and you wont want to go fishing w/o it!!

ICENUT(Bill)
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/19 19:07:25 (permalink)
    I have a Showdown it's a great unit and works flawlessly. Never used the other flasher units but I'm sure they also work great, everyone has there personal choice and you'll going to hear alot of them now. Which ever you buy it will be a very indispensable piece of equipment.
    A link to the Showdown is www.showdownfishfinder.com

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

mr. fly
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/19 21:03:45 (permalink)
    hands down go with a vex.. we have 3 of them the fl18 models...persoanlly i think they are the best..no problems with them at all and their almst dead on...

~721~
    bowhuntnsteve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/27 14:32:35 (permalink)
    your going to get random answers from everyone. search and research what models you maybe interested in. The vex's have different models for different situations like the fl-8 wont have the bells & whistles the fl-18. Showdown wont have what marcum & vex will. Check out the transducers of what you'd like. I have a Marcum LX-5. Mine came with both 9 & 19 degree transducer. Some vex's you have to pay extra to get both. I don't know if Showdown has that option or not. Everyone who has the model likes there. Me I had a vex, liked it. I had the Showdown, took it back. Almost got another Vex but got the Marcum LX-5 and glad I made that choice. My buddy is getting the Hummingbird 67 I think and saw 1 of his friends using it this week fishing and liked it had the flasher option but also the liquid display like a fishfinder on his boat.
    So to each there own. Just do some research and get your paws on some demo units at the stores or when on the ice, people walk & talk, ask questions. People always come up to me and ask how do I like my Marcum and they like to view it in action then they ask about my icegator auger.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/27 14:48:17 (permalink)
    I have the lowrance x67c icemachine it is by far the best piece of equipment I own. You can go into flasher mode or graph mode. I run it on graph mode with spilt zoom, I did this thursday in 30 ft. of water and was zoomed to the bottom 6ft. of water fishing for crappies. I saw a lot of crappies on the bottom but I could also see the ones at 16ft. with the split screen. Oh by the way you can see the smallest jigs with it and the price is great. For 300 dollars you will be hard pressed to get a flasher that does anywhere near as much as this unit does.
    bowhuntnsteve
    Avid Angler
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/27 15:00:17 (permalink)
    can't beat that price, my Marcum does all that as well with the zoom as I can move it up & down to any depth with a 10' zoom focus and I pick up my pss-b split shot and my my marmish size 14 jig that is maybe 4" apart without the zoom extremely well and that was in 53'FOW at Maple Springs in Chautauqua Lake, but this unit is also spitting out 2500 watts.
    My buddy is going to get that 67c, thats $125 cheaper than what I paid. He did say though his buddy had to keep the 67c in his hut because the liquid screen wasnt the best functioning out on the bucket in the open in the cold early morning when its below 10 deg. What degree(s) does those come with? Are they dual or not? Is the flasher part color?
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1256
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/27 17:54:00 (permalink)
    bowhuntnsteve is correct his mar cum ia a solid unit and does all he says it will, so do the vex's However the Humminbird ice-55 does them equally as well and while you are in zoom can you zoom in on any segment of water columm? say like 10 to 16 feet in 35 feet of water.The bird you can set to zomm any section of water.Can the marcm or ves have lighted dial so in low lite or no lite can you see them? Ithe bird has it also no goofy side number gauges to try to read on the side of the dial. Its all illiuminated on the screeen.Dual bean 9 and 19 see both roda in your shanty both little 14 marmish's and if vexs are nearby no interference from them. also the big dial is readalbe easily in direct sunlite so you can bounce from hole to hole and still see the dial no sunshield or magnafiers needed!as i said earlier those are just a few features it has.Totally hi tech as comapred to others.had it two years now no problems had the vex for 8 or so it also no problems. But truthfully i love teh Hummimbird way better!!!

ICENUT(Bill T)
    bowhuntnsteve
    Avid Angler
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/27 18:24:38 (permalink)
    The zoom on my MarCum will zoom in on any depth, it gives me a 10 foot range so I can take that 10 foot and zoom up or down wherever the fish are suspended while watching the whole water column on the right hand side. Now it takes the zoom and puts in on the left side of the flasher.
    The MarCum is extremely bright, the newer ones with the 2500 watts like I have, use green in it to make it 3 colors now & no target blending, each is specific color and changes as it gets closer to center. Its colors are prolific enough to show the same out in the sun or in your hut without any problem. I have an interference button that I can press numerous times to swap if I get any interference but never had too with vex's close by. My transducer is 8 & 20 & changed by a push of a button.
    dustydoo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/27 22:18:42 (permalink)
    I love my vex. It took a trop out the back of the truck on 79 early this year. Battery cracked,soft pack all but destroyed,mag cover scrathed,front case cracked. Pluged it in didnt work. Packed it up sent to vex week later arrives back $70 including freight,cant beat that... ps its at least 8 years old.
    Leupold
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/02/28 11:25:19 (permalink)
    Also have a Showdown agree that it works great and is easy to use. Plan to purchase another one when  they come available again.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Flasher or Sonar 2010/03/02 23:24:36 (permalink)
    I ended up getting a Humminbird ICE-45 this past weekend. Tried it out and REALY do like it. I got it at Thorne Brothers her in Minnesota for 359.99. So I got a pretty good deal on it too. Now I just hope the ice sticks around out here in MN for atleast another month. I am really starting to like ice fishing. The hard part is over (buying gear)...now let the fun part start...CATCHING FEESH!!!
    Jump to: