Tree stands on state game lands

Author
hunt-n-fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/27 22:29:51 (permalink)

Tree stands on state game lands

Whats the law regarding placement of treestands on state game lands for extended periods of time.  Aren't they supposed to come down the same day they go up, and not to be left for weeks at a time. 

I've seen stands already up in some game lands in 1A and 2D with no names or and ID attached.  Is this worth reporting to a game commission officer?

20 Replies Related Threads

HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/27 23:04:41 (permalink)
    I believe you are correct about them coming down the same day they go up, but idk because i don't hunt public land, it would just be best to use a climber on public land anyways if thats the case, if it is illegal to have stands out already then i would contact the game commision, their depriving you and others of a fair chance at game and it should be a first come first serve basis on Saturday morning, but if its private land its another story.

Ronnie
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/28 09:30:49 (permalink)
    I dont think there is an issue with this one, as long as they are not permanently affixed to the tree. (wood, nails, screws)
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/28 10:03:35 (permalink)
    I do not think there is any law stating they need to be removed on a daily basis.  They can not damage the trees in any way but don't have to be removed.  But if it were me, and I knew it was a good spot and it is public ground, I'd be there bright and early and be shining my flashlight at the guy from my perch up in my treestand when he gets there.  If he doesn't move, I'd do whatever is in my power to mess him up (if I am not concerned about messing up my own morning).  But, most likely, I would put a stand somewhere else as a back up or be prepared to move if the bozo who put his stand there doesn't relocate.  If it is public land, he does not have a right to that particular area if you get there first.  To me, it is pretty rude to do that on public land not to mention playing with fire and gambling on losing that stand to theft.  Hopefully he is somewhat considerate and when he sees you perched in a tree a few yards from his he will go to his back-up spot and let you have the area on that morning.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/28 13:58:55 (permalink)

You might want to reconsider your post. The way I read it is --- If someone does his pre season scouting, and legally places his treestand on public land to keep from stinking the place up on opening day you are going to go out of your way to screw him up and take over the spot he has scouted out.  Do it to me and you best be bigger and stronger than I am and plan on me doing my best to return the favor. I hope that was not what you meant. You are also walking a fine line of illegal hunter harassment that would be an interesting court fight.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/28 14:09:32 (permalink)
    S-10--

I think he meant if someone was in his treestand that he set up.

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/28 15:09:21 (permalink)
    Hunting on pulic land stinks . You need to start knocking on landowners' doors . The opportunities exist as long as you are courteous and persistent. I love those guys that stink up the public woods . You can bet you're pay check I'll be on the edge of the posted ground waiting for you guys to spook Mr. Big to me . I wouldn't even hunt the dead lands if it were the last place on earth . If you're forced to hunt there chances are with stands already in place hunt as close to civilization ( houses 50yards with the bow) & the thickest crap you can find ( the less human intrusuion the more deer you'll see). Stay on the edges and forget about that great spot ; I don't care how bad the deer got it torn up with two guys already leaving scent in the area you're chances of seeing a mature buck are nill . Good luck & remember to thank all landowners & clean up after ourselves . DC
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/30 21:43:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

You might want to reconsider your post. The way I read it is --- If someone does his pre season scouting, and legally places his treestand on public land to keep from stinking the place up on opening day you are going to go out of your way to screw him up and take over the spot he has scouted out.  Do it to me and you best be bigger and stronger than I am and plan on me doing my best to return the favor. I hope that was not what you meant. You are also walking a fine line of illegal hunter harassment that would be an interesting court fight.

The content of my post will stand as is.  On private land, the hunter has every right to put stands out and stake his claim to certain ground.  Public land, on the other hand, is just that, public land paid for by you and me and every other hunter out there that has bought a license.  The aforementioned hunter can place his stands wherever he wants but he has no right to claim any part of the public woods.  I wish they would make it illegal to place stands on public land and keep them up.  In my opinion, it should have to be taken out with you at the end of each day.  He is a greedy slob if he thinks he can "claim" that spot and he better have back ups for the times when other hunters like myself won't let him claim his portion of public land.  By the way, I am big enough and know enough to take care of myself.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/09/30 23:49:24 (permalink)
    If I had to hunt public land only, I'd use the shotgun theory...in other words, I'd have as many stand sites as I could, so if one was "overrun", I could go to another.  I would never post right next to someone on any land.  Not only is it rude, but it would kill my own chances of getting anything.  Implying you'd fight over a stand location?  You cannot be serious?!?  Dont get me wrong, I'm all for violence.  But I'd need a lot better reason than that to throw down.  You wanna fight for territory?  Go up to Walnut and start fishing in someones back pocket.  There is too much land out there to fight for any of it for a stand sight.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 07:48:29 (permalink)
    "Dont get me wrong, I'm all for violence. "

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 09:02:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

"Dont get me wrong, I'm all for violence. "

I am not one to fight over a stand location myself.  If I would see someone in a particular area that I had scouted out before hand, I would give them space and go to a back-up location myself.  But, if I find a good spot on public land and someone has placed a stand and left it there, I will not let that deter me from hunting nearby as long as they are not there already.  Hopefully that person has enough courtesy to move on to one of their back-up locations when they see I am in my stand already.  On public ground, early bird gets the worm and that is the way it should be.  Private property where you share permission with someone else is a totally different situation in my mind and I will steer clear of that person's set.  Hopefully, we would get a chance to share notes on how the season was going at some point and maybe swap spots or work together. 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 11:44:52 (permalink)

Sooo-- From your three posts your attitude is --  Someone scouts out a good location ahead of you on public land and legally sets up a hang on or ladder stand to hunt the next morning. You come stumbling along, see the stand and decide it looks like a good spot. Instead of finding another location your attitude is "maybe if I get up real early I can get in here ahead of him and crowd him out or at least screw up his hunt" and take over the location. Then you say you hope (HE has the Courtesy) to leave and give you the spot. I think this is where Peacy would say "DREAM ON". Is that how you killed your buck last year? Maybe if you are ever hunting 1B or 2F we will have the chance to say hello.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 11:56:48 (permalink)
    I agree with S-10. If that person took the time to scout it out, and hang a stand there, dont mess it up for them. Find another spot. I dont often hunt public ground, but when I do i'm always carefull to distance myself from the the stands that are already hung. Just because its legal, doesn't mean its ethical.

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 15:40:05 (permalink)
    Just playing Devil's Advocate.  What if I scouted the area also, but I use a climber?  It would seem to me that whoever shows up first on public property has the right of way.  Otherwise, I guess I would have to start shooting squirrels with the handgun I can now carry while archery hunting...
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 15:55:09 (permalink)
    If someone else hung a stand there, even if I scouted it out all year, I would still leave it alone. Yes, it would pizz me off, but do you really want to hunt a spot that is being hunted by another hunter anyway? I would leave the area alone simply on the fact that I dont have any idea how that person hunts/scouts. Think of it this way, that person could be the most careless hunter out there, and has already screwed up the spot, because he just hung a stand that chances are, smells just like the inside of walmart, where he bought it.

Legally, you could hang your climber in the tree next to his, but do you want to spend daybreak argueing/fistfighting with the other hunter, or would you rather be in another tree hunting?

I guess the optimal thing to do would be to try and catch the guy in the parking area, and mention that you also scouted the area, then try to work something out. There are, afterall, a few kind people left in the world.

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 16:06:40 (permalink)
    Guess that's the reason I do not hunt public land in PA... I do not care to have to live by someone else's schedule or deal with other people disturbing me when I am archery hunting.  I NEVER have these kind of issues in other states, and there I do hunt public land. 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 16:27:11 (permalink)

Sooo-- From your three posts your attitude is --  Someone scouts out a good location ahead of you on public land and legally sets up a hang on or ladder stand to hunt the next morning. You come stumbling along, see the stand and decide it looks like a good spot. Instead of finding another location your attitude is "maybe if I get up real early I can get in here ahead of him and crowd him out or at least screw up his hunt" and take over the location. Then you say you hope (HE has the Courtesy) to leave and give you the spot. I think this is where Peacy would say "DREAM ON". Is that how you killed your buck last year? Maybe if you are ever hunting 1B or 2F we will have the chance to say hello.

My deer last year, and fthe ones I have harvested for the last several years, have been taken on private land after knocking ok doors and gaining the landowner's trust.  Most of the private land I hunt is also unposted and people would most likely get permission if they would ask.

In response to you, who says I was just stumbling along?  Maybe I did my research, looked at topos and satellite imagery, found out where the mast producing trees were likely to be, backtracked a few trails to find some good intersecting trails in prime locations (good topography with thick underbrush and mast trees overhead) and just so happened to see your stand you placed.  Just because you researched it too, I am not going to back away on public land.  If I get there first in the AM, just like rifle season, then you should back out and hit one of your back-ups.  If I head that way and see someone there, get a light shined my way or have someone whistle at me, I would do the same, even if it would have been my stand set up there (not that I would be leaving a stand up through the year on public ground).  Like I already posted, I don't think it is ethical to "stake out" ground on public property and you are rolling the dice with your equipment. 
    tmccart388
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 21:34:11 (permalink)
    What's wrong with a "temporary stand" left up all deer season on public land?  Doesn't everyone need to know where the the latrine is anyway? Besides, the wooden ones make a good fire on the cold days,too. I really appreciate when someone uses the good ones like the Lone Wolf Alphas, you can never get enough of them. 
    eddie spaghetti
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/01 21:38:11 (permalink)
    During a PGC tour on SGL 151 last week, I asked the same question. I was told the following: the stand can do no visable damage to the tree; it is ok to leave the stand up for the entire season, but it must be removed after deer season is over (ex late ML or Archery season). any stands not removed after the season has ended will be treated as abandoned property; a tree stand does not constitute "squatters rights".
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/02 00:12:53 (permalink)

Part of my problem with your attitude is that over the years I have had three people (1 ex friend) whos idea of scouting was to drive around until they found where I was parked, hide and see what side of the road I came out  and go in and look for where I had set up, and try to beat me in the next day. Then they would brag at work or the bar about it. It got so bad that I was parking on different roads and walking 1-2 miles just to shake them off. It came to a head when one of them cut me off one morning to get to the lone parking spot ahead of me after I caught him watching me set up the day before. He never tried it again. These a--holes didn't know a white oak from a willow but as long as they could follow me they figured they didn't need to. I am real thin skinned anymore when I think anyone is trying to sc--w with my hunting.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tree stands on state game lands 2007/10/02 08:48:16 (permalink)

Part of my problem with your attitude is that over the years I have had three people (1 ex friend) whos idea of scouting was to drive around until they found where I was parked, hide and see what side of the road I came out  and go in and look for where I had set up, and try to beat me in the next day. Then they would brag at work or the bar about it. It got so bad that I was parking on different roads and walking 1-2 miles just to shake them off. It came to a head when one of them cut me off one morning to get to the lone parking spot ahead of me after I caught him watching me set up the day before. He never tried it again. These a--holes didn't know a white oak from a willow but as long as they could follow me they figured they didn't need to. I am real thin skinned anymore when I think anyone is trying to sc--w with my hunting.

Sounds like you did good by "dropping" those kind of friends.  I only hunt with my cousins and that is only occassionally.  I can't trust some of my neighbors and friends enough to take them to my spots that I have.  Not to mention, I know several of them take no scent precautions whatsoever in archery season yet still wonder why they don't see much or harvest anything. 

I go out of my way not to screw someone else up.  I just don't think it is right to stake claim to a piece of gamelands or state forest by putting up a treestand and thinking you will have that particular area to yourself the rest of the season.  That's all.  And no, I would never take another hunters equipment, even if it were on public land and after the season was over. 
    Jump to: