Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps

Author
Flyguy638
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 328
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/07 11:41:24 (permalink)

Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps

So I posted a comment to Cold about cleaning up the front of his fly and thought to post a video on one way to tie one of his streamers. Video isn't very good quality and is alittle long so skip to different parts of interest. Cold I hope it helps

Bruce

http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=451

6 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps 2010/02/07 15:41:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bruce!

Got your PM friday evening, and with the snow, the internet & TV was kinda shaky. Seems to be much better, though still hiccuping today, but I'll watch this video soon!
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps 2010/02/07 16:22:09 (permalink)
    Flyguy638, Nice demonstration!!!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps 2010/02/07 16:55:05 (permalink)
    Just watched. Nicely done. :) Was that a spool of floss or tinsel you knocked off the bench?

My question: That's pretty much how I've been tying mine, except that it looks like the badger is fine enough to just stack on top of itself, whereas the bucktail has to move farther up the shank...what am I missing? A sparser tie might improve this aspect too, allowing me to treat it more like a finer material.
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps 2010/02/07 17:48:46 (permalink)
    Take a look at your picyure of the orange streamer, you can see several wraps between end of the body and the tie in point of the throat, thenthe white slightly further and each color after that. Once you have all colors tied in , try wrapping back on the wing to cover previous wraps, BUT WHEN YOU DO THIS USE VERY LITTLE PRESSURE, (otherwise the bucktail will kick up on you) then come back down to the front to tie off. I probably shouldn't have said anything because your tying is fine , its just my eye goes to those black thread wraps. I think the key is what you mentioned , try to cut down on the amount, anyway, keep up the good work, we can still meet in the virtual classroom and kick it around
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps 2010/02/07 18:33:51 (permalink)
    Ahhh, gotcha. I'm gonna try tying through the game. If I get a good one, I'll post pics.

Thank you!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Steelhead Streamer/ hiding thread wraps 2010/02/07 22:16:40 (permalink)
    Nice thread work. I also use Sally Hansens Hard as Nails. What I do is I cut the brush off and apply using a toothpick or bodkin. That way I have more control on how much and where the coat is going. Nice work and thanks for the video. I was really hoping you werent going to use the stacked fiber method for the beard.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Jump to: