minows

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DaFuNK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1992
  • Reward points: 0
RE: minows 2010/02/05 09:51:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskieBabe

2.50 to 3.00/dozen? thats disgusting, i wouldnt pay more than 2.00/dozen, in the south central region we pay 1.50 t0 2.00/dozen. thats quite a raquet those bait shops got going on up there...

where i pay $2.50/dz I usually get 2 dozen and get about 40-50 minnows.. Each of their "dozens" is about 20-25 minnows

so its all relative...

that 50 cents you are whining about doesnt really mean jack - it's all up to the dude with the scoop in the end...

post edited by DaFuNK - 2010/02/05 09:55:00

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"

UPDATED Antidote!
http://antidoteusa.weebly.com
HaveJeepCanGo
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: minows 2010/02/05 16:02:55 (permalink)
Need-to-share story in 3... 2... 1...

I got to witness pure stupidity today.  Dude walks into "Smitty's" and inquired about needing certified minnows for Lake Pleasant.  He was told that yes, he'd need them and that the shop didn't offer them at this time of the year.  He then proceeds to beg for a "faked" receipt.   The prompt reply was that she's not risking her license and reputation over a bucket of minnows.  The stunned look on his face irritated the hell out of me.  He (and who knows how many out there just like him) is perfectly willing to risk a pristine watershed for the chance to catch a few stocked trout.

When asked why they don't stock them this time of the year, she actually made it a point to explain that she caters to the folks visible outside the shop on the ice.  Closer to trout season, she'd invest in the pricier bait.  Reasonable on all fronts.  They're gonna make a loyal customer out of me, yet.  I grabbed a can of grubs, opened it for inspection, smiled and paid for them and a new rod/reel combo and left completely satisfied with my shopping experience.

...and coming up after the break, weather and sports. 
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: minows 2010/02/05 21:19:16 (permalink)
Read the post about the guy with minnows an Lake Pleasant, I couldn't find anything on this, if you have bait from fishing at P.I., you can't take them and use them at Edinboro? If anyone has info would be great.
the alaskan
mote1977
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: minows 2010/02/05 21:21:25 (permalink)
I thought that was a New York thing?
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
RE: minows 2010/02/05 21:43:33 (permalink)
I don't know that is what I am trying to find out, up the page a little is a post about someone tried to buy certified minnows for Lake Pleasant and they said they didn't carry them this time of year. I just want to make sure.
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: minows 2010/02/05 22:33:38 (permalink)
BAC has to be the worst bait shop in the state, we bought 3 dozen and didn't check them till we where on the ice, was shocked at the amount in the bucket, decided to count them a whopping 39 minnows, plus a lot of attitude at the store. drive the few extra miles, you'll be alot happier
post edited by bubbaman - 2010/02/06 16:22:35
HaveJeepCanGo
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: minows 2010/02/05 22:49:46 (permalink)
Alaskan, when using minnows inland, they need to be certified VHS-free.  They cost more, but if you're not carrying proof of where you got your minnows, you can lose alot more than just your $.  The fish cops target Lake Pleasant along with several other inland waterways for enforcement.  They catch and confiscate plenty, and not just the minnows.  You gotta have proof that your minnows haven't come from Lake Erie, which is where "Smitty's" gets theirs. 

I've seen what that disease does to a bucket of bait.  Gross.  I'd hate to see that happen to the fish in any body of water, especially beautiful Lake Pleasant. 
mote1977
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: minows 2010/02/05 23:04:09 (permalink)
Is this just Erie County or all of PA? None of the bait shops around here said anything about it.
AndrewHuntFish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: minows 2010/02/05 23:36:27 (permalink)
It is all of PA. You can only use uncertified shiners in Lake Erie, the bay, and the Lake Erie watershed.

And I agree with everyone regarding the best bait shops. Hansen's was definately the best if you were going out on the bay. Poor Richard's has always been the best for me if I am hitting one of the tribs or going out on the main lake, and is definately worth the extra driving time to avoid BAC when going out on the peninsula now that Hansen's is gone. BAC will never see another dime from me.
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
RE: minows 2010/02/06 01:43:31 (permalink)
thanks for the info on the inland water ways.
the alaskan
Catchabigone
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: minows 2010/02/06 14:42:24 (permalink)
Here's a link to to Pa fish Commission on Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia
http://www.fishandboat.com/pafish/all/vhs/vhs.htm

An infectious fish disease, caused by a variant of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus (VHS), has caused fish mortalities in the Great Lakes. The initial list of fish species that are susceptible to VHS includes black crappie, bluegill, bluntnose minnow, brown bullhead, brown trout, burbot, channel catfish, chinook salmon, coho salmon, emerald shiner, freshwater drum, gizzard shad, herring, largemouth bass, muskellunge, northern pike, pink salmon, pumpkinseed, rainbow trout, redhorse sucker, rock bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, white bass, white perch, whitefish and yellow perch.

It is unlawful to transport or cause the transportation of VHS-susceptible species of fish out of the portion of the Lake Erie Watershed in this Commonwealth into other watersheds of this Commonwealth except when certain conditions are met. It is illegal to use VHS-susceptible fish species, fish parts and eggs taken from the Lake Erie Watershed as fishbait in Commonwealth waters outside the Lake Erie Watershed except when the fish are certified as VHS-negative. It is legal to transport dead recreationally caught fish out of the Lake Erie Watershed solely for the purpose of human consumption.

Because of diseases and invasive species, the Commission recommends as a good conservation practice that anglers not transport any live fish out of the Lake Erie Watershed and introduce those fish into other watersheds. For more information on invasive species, please see “Stop Aquatic Nuisance Species.” For more information on VHS, please contact the Commission’s Northwest Regional Office or visit our VHS information page.

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
Ted Nugent

D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: minows 2010/02/06 15:34:33 (permalink)
What are they selling for certified minnows, flatheads or goldens....what are they charging for a dozen...sorry if this has already been asked....
bowhuntnsteve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: minows 2010/02/06 23:06:47 (permalink)
Poor Richards minnies are certified and no they do not cost any more. They are $2.00 a dozen. They get them out of Wisconsin, Andy Daniel's who owns the old Smitty's & the east ave trailer, must not get his bait from the same place, he may still have an open water spot to scoop them out of the bay or around the docks like at the yacht club or somewhere. That saves a ton of $$ than trucking the bait in.
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
RE: minows 2010/02/07 23:25:36 (permalink)
Yeah, they scoop them right out the open water by the dock, when you go into their store you can see the minnow traps and the open water.
captnkirk
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 274
RE: minows 2010/02/09 07:57:01 (permalink)
Those are holding nets, not traps.
streich
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: minows 2010/02/09 15:21:53 (permalink)
down here in warren if you are going to buy them you are looking at 2.75 a dozen but you get like 20 but i found the best and cheapest spot is to do the work urself and go trap them works great for me
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
RE: minows 2010/02/09 15:32:53 (permalink)
oops sorry captnkirk, thanks for letting me know. I really did not know that those were holding tanks, I thought they were traps. I learn something new everyday.
the alaskan
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: minows 2010/02/09 16:08:51 (permalink)
post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/07/15 11:30:49
kth
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: minows 2010/02/09 16:50:42 (permalink)
If your headed south make sure you take bait with you. From edinboro on down most all bait shops have surrendered and gone out of business.
Crawford needs someone that used to like fishing, has money and wants to shoot the bull and sell a few things.
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: minows 2010/02/09 23:00:28 (permalink)
To save you some possible grief , When you buy certified minnows for inland waters have the owner of the bait shop give you a business card and write on the back of it how many certified minnows were bought and have them sign it. Keep that on you when you go fishing and "IF" you are questioned buy the fish and game commission you have certified proof of the minnows. 

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
bowhuntnsteve
Avid Angler
RE: minows 2010/02/09 23:25:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deetz4352

To save you some possible grief , When you buy certified minnows for inland waters have the owner of the bait shop give you a business card and write on the back of it how many certified minnows were bought and have them sign it. Keep that on you when you go fishing and "IF" you are questioned buy the fish and game commission you have certified proof of the minnows. 

as long as you have the receipt, its not an issue. when I get them from poor richards, they also stamp the back of the receipt. when I stop at hogans hut to go to chautauqua lake, their receipt says it all as well. A business card won't mean anything because then anyone can write anything on it since business cards are there for the taking, the bill of sale is what the fish commish want to see from a register.
andyd8403
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: minows 2010/02/11 10:13:03 (permalink)
I have a hard time believing that. You are allowed to open the cans and look at the bait. If you didn't then you cannot point your finger at just one person. When you buy eggs to you just grab a cartoon and put it in your cart I think not. You check to make sure no eggs are broken. Same concept.

ORIGINAL: cp13

I would drive the extra little bit to go to East End Angler, usually a little bit extra for your dozen. BAC is a last resort and Smiths bait isnt an option for me anymore. I bought 5 containers of waxworms there around 2 sundays ago and only one container even had any bait in it, the other 4 weren't even washed out.

The worst day fishing is better than any day of work
jimmythejuicer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: minows 2010/02/11 15:05:31 (permalink)
I also miss Joe. I think that Joe kept the locals as number one and selling the souvenirs to the tourists was just to get extra money. It is just the opposite at the top of the hill. Seems that they sell bait just to stay open during the winter and then really make their money ripping off the tourist during the summer. Poor Pittsburgers!
bowhuntnsteve
Avid Angler
RE: minows 2010/02/11 21:53:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: andyd8403

I have a hard time believing that. You are allowed to open the cans and look at the bait. If you didn't then you cannot point your finger at just one person. When you buy eggs to you just grab a cartoon and put it in your cart I think not. You check to make sure no eggs are broken. Same concept.

I would drive the extra little bit to go to East End Angler, usually a little bit extra for your dozen. BAC is a last resort and Smiths bait isnt an option for me anymore. I bought 5 containers of waxworms there around 2 sundays ago and only one container even had any bait in it, the other 4 weren't even washed out.

and that is from the owner himself of the old Smitty's! I have to agree w/him. Id have opened it up to look as always. If they were empty, it may have been a simple mistake and someone forgot to clean & refill and they got mixed in with the filled waxworms. Mistakes do happen.
I have seen East End at Poor Richards buying product off Gary, especially eggs in the fall for steelhead season. Save a lil extra then, cut the middle man out and buy straight from Poor Richards then.
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
RE: minows 2010/02/12 11:05:22 (permalink)
One thing I will say for Al is that he has a good memory. My friend Dave and I grew up riding our bikes down to PI just about every day of the summer. We would stop at BAC for bait and pop. And Al always greeted us with "How you DO today young men?" Until we drove, we would beg rides to go ice fishing about every weekend, and Al always greeted us with, "How you DO today young men?" And that continued until we graduated and got busy with life. We both joined the Navy, moved out of town, got busy with life, lost touch. After about 20 years Dave and I got back in touch and decided to fish Erie again together. So we meet at his mom's house and head to BAC. For the first time in  20 years, after hair loss and weight gain, we walk into BAC together and Al looks up at us, stares for a moment, and says, "Where you BEEEEN young men?" 
andyd8403
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: minows 2010/02/12 12:30:50 (permalink)
I am not the owner just the son. But I put hard hours in at the store. i love it when someone comes in an asks for a dozen minnow and gets about 20-30 and says thats all i get.
ORIGINAL: bowhuntnsteve

ORIGINAL: andyd8403

and that is from the owner himself of the old Smitty's! I have to agree w/him. Id have opened it up to look as always. If they were empty, it may have been a simple mistake and someone forgot to clean & refill and they got mixed in with the filled waxworms. Mistakes do happen.
I have seen East End at Poor Richards buying product off Gary, especially eggs in the fall for steelhead season. Save a lil extra then, cut the middle man out and buy straight from Poor Richards then.

The worst day fishing is better than any day of work
The Tuna
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 390
RE: minows 2010/07/13 12:48:07 (permalink)
Whether I'm fishing the Erie Tribs, or Glendale or Arthur for bass or walleye, or the Yough for trout of bass if I think that minnows will do me any good I will bait my small wire minnow trap with a can of sardines packed in linseed oil the night before right around dark and place my trap in one of the many tribs of filthy Sewickley Creek.   Some 6 hours later, usually around 3-4 in the morning I'll have 3 to 5 dozen minnows, mostly shiners and some fatheads and chubs.  I am not a minnow expert, but I think a vast majority are shiners and this time of year many of them are as long a s 4".  I will fill my bait bucket with about a gallon of the stream water from the creek and I'll keep them alive with a battery operated air pump for my trip.  Rarely do I lose even one minnow.   My question is, what laws might I be breaking if I use these guys in the Erie tribs or Lake Erie itself?
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: minows 2010/07/16 10:29:32 (permalink)
I think that you are o.k. bringing baitfish up to the Erie area as long as you have either 50 or less of self caught or more than 50 if bought from a bait shop with a dated reciept. The prob.is bringing baitfish out of the Erie watershed to other parts of the state due to the VHS. sam
cpinner
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: minows 2010/07/16 15:26:38 (permalink)
I believe there is a restriction on salted minnows as well, does that work the same way?  Can't buy em in the Erie Watershed and use em elsewhere?   Correct?
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: minows 2010/07/16 15:39:33 (permalink)
my understanding is that it would apply to salted minnows if they were taken from that area also,unless they were certified vhs free. Also applys to roe unless it is certified or cured before using. Again, this is my take on the regs. I would contact the PFC if you want to know for sure. sam
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: