Transducer Question

Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/29 21:06:17 (permalink)

Transducer Question

I'm putting new wiring in a small boat. I am wanting to know if I can split  one transducer signal between two display screens of the exact make and model....or do I need two transducers?  I know I can split the power...but b4 I cut the sheething on the transducer cable.....thought maybe I should ask. All input appreciated

It just a cheepie......Hummingbird PirannahMAX 160.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...

5 Replies Related Threads

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Transducer Question 2010/01/29 23:45:47 (permalink)
    Uneducated opinion, but I wouldn't trust it. The transmit power would be the combination of two units(plus synchro. issues) but the recieve signal to each would be split.Also the integrity of the split, as with any rf signal connection, is critical to proper shielding from outside "noise" issues.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Transducer Question 2010/01/30 05:54:39 (permalink)
    Thanks gizmos....my next ? then would be...can I mount two transducers next to eachother? Or will they interfere with one another?

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Transducer Question 2010/01/30 08:43:43 (permalink)
    I think there was something in my installation manual about that, I'll dig it up later if some one else doesn't post. Gotta go clear some brush and saw up some wood for a bonfire. Brrrrr....where's bings when ya need em !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Transducer Question 2010/01/30 09:46:45 (permalink)
    For some models you can get a splitter that will aloow the signal to go to two different display units. I would not try tampering with the electrical wiring on ducer cables, most I know that have tried that regretted it.

Transducers will not interfere with each other if they angle of the cone and frequencies are not exactly the same.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Transducer Question 2010/01/30 10:00:23 (permalink)
    I had problems with my bow and console Garmin units interfering with each other when I got in water over 20' (both with 200khz ducers).  That is the depth the cones intersected for the distance the transducers were apart (about 17').  My transom unit would then double the depth and my bow unit would show strange vertical lines.  The solution was to install a different frequency transducer for one of the units.  I installed a dual frequency on the transom and run it at 50khz.  No problems after that.
    Jump to: