Lake Eaton 1-13-2010

Author
Wisdom
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/14 21:51:01 (permalink)

Lake Eaton 1-13-2010

Hit Lake Eaton for the first time yesterday. Ice was a good 8 inches with 8 to 12 inches of snow on top. Some spot were a bit slushy. We managed one salmon that was all of 12 inches and 4 nice perch in the 12 inch range. Was my first LL Salmon and what a pretty fish. Would have took a pic but wanted to get him back down the hole. Fish varied depths, with bait on bottom, suspended and just under the surface. Salmon came with bait suspended about half way down in 30 FOW. We had a bunch of flags with no fish. Thinking they were perch that couldn't swallow the bait. If we had set out for perch to begin with, with smaller bait, would have been a slamming perch day. Pretty good perch lake for a so called trout/LL salmon lake.
                Tight Lines...Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com

2 Replies Related Threads

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Lake Eaton 1-13-2010 2010/01/15 20:50:37 (permalink)
    Wisdom:  EagleEd & I fished that a few years ago and didn't catch anything, but from what I have heard, they catch alot of smelt there--which is also what the lakers feed on.  What part of the lake did you fish?
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Lake Eaton 1-13-2010 2010/01/15 21:49:21 (permalink)
    We were fishing on the edge of the deepest part of the lake through the transition 20 to 40 FOW. I was marking fish suspended but only perch would take our bait. From what I have gathered smelt is the forage there and people using smelt do better. Thing is Eaton is not on the live bait list to use smelt. We tried to find emerald shiners to get as close as we could but supplier backed up the delivery day to the day after we went.
                 Tight Lines...Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Jump to: