Origami Wings

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/10 08:02:52 (permalink)

Origami Wings

They call these origami wings for whatever reason and when I started trying to tie these I had a big problem with the barbules on the hackle rolling and not compressing evenly on the hook. Played around a bit and came up with this way of creating them. Alot easier for me and quicker. Although they do look fragile, they will last although I've found that after a few fish caught on them they will get a bit ratty. I save them for that finicky trout that just will not rise to anything else that I throw to them. I guess the realism of the veined wing makes the difference.

Note: on the dry shown here - I used black 14/0 thread. I ran out of the correct color to use - gotta get some more I guess. You should use the correct color - matching the color of the hackle or pattern. 

1. Pluck off the neck one of the longest hackles found. While holding the hackle by it's tip with the good side toward you, strip off the barbules on the left side. Then on the right side, strip off about a one inch section near the tip.

2. While holding the hackle by it's tip, take your fingers on your other hand and run them down the stem - "fluffing" the barbules outward from the stem.

3. Again, while holding the hackle by it's tip, take your thumb and forefinger on your right hand, pinch the bare stem above the "fluffed" out barbules and run it down the stem - over the barbs. This will fold the barbs over. Do not let go and only run your fingers down to the point in relation to the length of the barbules. Let go of the stem with your left hand.

4. Take the thumb and forefinger of your left hand and tightly grasp the hackle and "wing" section. Let go with your right hand.
Basically your just transferring this from one hand to the other.

5. Now take just a bit of super glue (I use the type that comes with a little brush) and put a small dab on top of the barbules at the end of your fingertips. Then using your other hand pinch/form and secure the barbules together - all the while maintaining the tight pinch on the feather with your left hand. Release your grip on your left hand and this is what you get.

6. Bend the hackle stem at the point shown.
You can use a bodkin placed between the barbules and use that as a "pivot" point to make the bend.

7. Tie this in on on top of the hook using the loose loop/pinch technique.
Place the wing on top of the hook. Bring the thread up between your fingers and pinch it. Then wrap down the far side and back up. Release the pinch on the thread and pull up on the thread bringing the thread down evenly on the wing lessening the chance for it to "roll" on the shank.

8. Trim off the waste at the hook eye and the stem at the end of the wing flush with the last barbule. Hackle as usual.

** I don't normally tie in more than one of these - basically for the purpose of reducing bulk. Besides many of the duns I see floating on the water have their wings together - not seperated.

Give this a try at the bench this winter - see how ya like it.

*** Here's a winged black ant I tied using the same technique as above.

post edited by steely34 - 2010/01/10 08:05:38

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

6 Replies Related Threads

mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: Origami Wings 2010/01/10 08:30:05 (permalink)
    I like that wing. What brand superglue do you have that has a brush? The ant looks great.Thanks for the tuts.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Origami Wings 2010/01/10 08:42:46 (permalink)
    Mook - Here's what I use:

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Origami Wings 2010/01/10 09:08:09 (permalink)
    I like those wings too. They look great. The super glue is a great idea. I'll have to try that plus use the technique when making wonder wings too.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: Origami Wings 2010/01/10 10:27:13 (permalink)
    thanks steely I'll look for that glue.
    Flags
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Origami Wings 2010/01/10 11:59:36 (permalink)
    Really look good....thanks for the idea!

Flags
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Origami Wings 2010/01/10 19:26:36 (permalink)
     sweet, that ant looks awesome!
    Jump to: