A couple bait/tackle ?'s

Author
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/07 10:26:17 (permalink)

A couple bait/tackle ?'s

Hey guys. I've been researching posts on a couple different boards trying to find new bait & tackle to try this year. Stuff I've never seen around here. Just a couple questions I've come across I'd like some input on....

These tungsten jigs I see, Wolfram has been mentioned more than once, are they worth the $$? I mean....$2.50 per jig seems a bit over the top to me. They'd better have some amazing results for that kind of change. Plus, I'd have to have a fortune to try out different colors....I've seen 6 jigs in a 'Wolfpack' for like $16.... Just wondered if anyone's tried these, and their opinion of them?

Secondly, spikes. I've never seen them around here. They look like a cross between a wax worm & a grub, or maggot. Anyone get these locally, or are they by mail only around here? Also, I see some on Vados bait that are colored. Any experience with these? A particular color that outperforms others? I'm thinking of getting the 1000 count mixed colors.

Thanks for any input.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>

4 Replies Related Threads

Buckyfox
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: A couple bait/tackle ?'s 2010/01/07 10:42:15 (permalink)
    Spikes are nothing more than maggots.
    icecube
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: A couple bait/tackle ?'s 2010/01/07 10:43:11 (permalink)
       Pork,  I used Vados mixed color maggots.   Some days the colored maggots worked better than the plain ones.  Just like different lures work better different days I think.    Seemed like the red worked better than the other colors.   But that might have just been a day or two that they worked better.   Maggots as far as I know are what everybody I know call Spikes.   There is a certain maggot that is called a Mousie.  It has a tail on the end of it.  I don't know if that is what you mean or not.  Used them also but I didn't see any difference in catching more fish.   That was my experience with using both.  Other guys might have a different story though.   Stay On Top!!!!
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: A couple bait/tackle ?'s 2010/01/07 10:52:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for setting me straight on the spikes....I call 'em grubs. The ones I saw online looked much bigger than the grubs I've always used, more like a wax worm size?....maybe online illusion. Or maybe my local maggots are midgets.? Commonly only 1/4" or less around here.

I might give them a try anyway. Variety is the spice of life.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bakman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: A couple bait/tackle ?'s 2010/01/07 11:04:13 (permalink)
    The fiskars wolfram jigs are definitely worth the money.  You really start to notice the diff when you pick one up and fish over 10' of water.  Just a note if you fish with anything over 4lb. line you probably shouldn't spend the money on these jigs as you are defeating the advantage you have gained by using them.
    Jump to: