cleaning your reel

Author
dewey123
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 210
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/06 21:00:18 (permalink)

cleaning your reel

what do you guys use to clean your reels and maintain them....if any? i just got back from fishing the salmon river. lots of ice build up, the reel took a little dip in the water and a second later was frozen solid. i put it near the fire to melt and dry it off and i know it had to have gotten ashes on or in it. it still spun like a champ but dont know if i should tear it apart and mess with it and lube it up. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and another question i have been trying to get the hang off the wallace cast but cant get it out to far so i have been using the side cast and just cant seen to get the line twists out and it turns into a nightmare in no time. i dont know if it was just because it was 10 degrees out and i had serious icing going on or if it was operator error. when i was able to get a long drift going on it seemed to help get some twists out when i would reel it in and recast then it would come back 2X as bad. getting the hang of this center pin is alot harder than i thought it would be, figured id be a pro over night or something.

19 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/06 21:05:35 (permalink)
    Heres a fairly new link but by far the best i've seen for maintanence on any centerpin. The series shows everything from cleaning the reel to cleaning bearings out and everything in between..

http://www.floatfishingconnection.com/video_misc.htm

As for your line twists, Side casting definitely will cause line twists after a little while of casting...Also, what line line are you using, to me some lines have more memory than others.. As for icing if its 10 deg out pretty much anything is gonna ice up real real quick. Some reels take to the cold temps better than others.. My Ross ices up real quick if its below 30 deg, while my loomis keeps on rolling. The more porting on the reel backplate the more likely it is to ice up. Spraying Reel Magic on your line in the morning helps keep the memory down on the line and keeps it from freezing together on the spool. As for the line that will form 10 to 15ft up from your float you can put lip balm or stanleys ice paste coated liberally on the line and float and it will help for awhile, i've found nothing that lasts very long. I coat my guides with carmex lip balm the evening before i fish, its alot easier to put on and seems to stay on alot longer than if i do it while i'm streamside. Hope this helps a little...
    post edited by avidangler - 2010/01/06 21:15:47

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/07 10:37:38 (permalink)
    im using siglon F on my reel 8 lb. i heard vasoline works good to keep ice off of the eyes, i didnt put any on my rod because i didnt know if it would work or if it would mess with my rod. its a st croix wild river rod so if it messed it up it would be a disaster for me. ill have to try the lip balm next time.  im gonna check that website out.... i think that series is where i learned some casting techniques but i found it on youtube.com but no cleaning videos so it should be very helpfull
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/07 16:47:25 (permalink)
    Preperation H...no kidding, works great. 

Chapstick
    Vasoline
    PAM cooking spray

all work about the same...

Bought me some stanley's Ice off this year...its a gimmick...works no better than any of the above mentioned products and cost way more per volume.

I use W-D 40 to clean my reels....spray down lightly and wipe away all debris.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/07 18:47:25 (permalink)
    Once you get your casting down,line twist will not be an issue.I have only had one good twist up this year and it was within minutes of harrasing Papinner about his twisted mess.Try another swivel a few inches above your float,every couple of casts hold your rod up and watch your float till it stops spinning,try slip floats-they seem to eliminate alot of the twist.With the salmon river only being 32*,i'm sure your swivels were iced over,not helping matters much.When the weather breaks we will hook up and work some of the bugs out.So,how did you do on the big river,did you give Oswego a shot?
      If you decide to clean the bearings,be careful,the metal dust covers on the bearing bend real easy,I had a he-- of a time with mine,the retaining clips would not come out.I left the dust covers off the bearings,facing outwards,hopefully they stay togethor.
    post edited by mxdad66 - 2010/01/07 18:53:10
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/07 19:36:11 (permalink)
    Hey the only reason my line was twisted was because it was a pull cast gone way wrong because of the gloves.

Anyway back on topic I would never use wd40 on my reels to clean them if you watch the video on FFC that will guide you in the right direction.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/07 20:33:00 (permalink)
    How much ice is there now?Blame it on the gloves,I would.Mine was plain stupidity!
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 01:35:06 (permalink)
    we didnt do too good i had 3 hook ups not on for very long, and the guys i went with had a few on and landed a coho. we went to i think it was the schoolhouse hole. the guy i went there with knows the guys that owns altmar outfiters across the road from the river near the 2 access points and we were able to go get warm over there and a good place to park. he showed me the other spot you told me about that was getting fish. I only seen 2 fish get caught and a few other hook ups. they were using illegal leader...length. they had a 9 or 10 ft leader on, they said when it is so cold and snowy that a super long leader will produce. the snow was over waist deep in the woods and went over the hood of a blazer where the snow wasnt plowed in the drive way. pulaski had some serious snow. i didnt get to the oswego, but i did get to burt dam 2 times. i caught 3 steelhead  and my brother did ok to with 2 steelhead and a brown. I wanted tostop at elk creek at the mckean exit but remembered my pa license expired on the 1st and it was pretty crappy up there it must have snowed the night before or in the morning about 1 foot  or foot and a half in erie.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 02:34:46 (permalink)
    Been using WD-40 on my reels for over 20 years Scott....Still using the first Mitchell 300 my dad got me years ago.  The reel still runs smooth and looks pretty good for how old it is.  With the anodized finishes on the pin reels today, the WD-40 shouldn't hurt them one bit.  Those Mitchells were made of painted cast metal, if it didn't hurt them it won't hurt the anodized aluminum.  Cleaning the bearings are a whole different thing...carb or brake cleaner is the way to go with them.  I simply do not like to use soap and water on my reels because it leaves a scum or hazey finish to the surfaces of the reels.  Everyone has their own methods....I just use what has worked best for me over the years. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/01/08 02:35:47
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 07:59:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mxdad66

How much ice is there now?Blame it on the gloves,I would.Mine was plain stupidity!

Enought to fish on but I wont be out at all this weekend now. My wife is shopping tomorrow and my youngest is sick so I cant drag him around on the ice and sunday is my oldest bday party.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 08:00:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Been using WD-40 on my reels for over 20 years Scott....Still using the first Mitchell 300 my dad got me years ago.  The reel still runs smooth and looks pretty good for how old it is.  With the anodized finishes on the pin reels today, the WD-40 shouldn't hurt them one bit.  Those Mitchells were made of painted cast metal, if it didn't hurt them it won't hurt the anodized aluminum.  Cleaning the bearings are a whole different thing...carb or brake cleaner is the way to go with them.  I simply do not like to use soap and water on my reels because it leaves a scum or hazey finish to the surfaces of the reels.  Everyone has their own methods....I just use what has worked best for me over the years. 

I just followed what adams video showed and it seems to work good for me.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 09:57:43 (permalink)
    yeah...so when we gettin together again and going fishing.....?
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 10:55:25 (permalink)
    I'm ice fishing all next weekend since I cant get out this weekend. If you want to come fish the bay let me know. As far as steelhead go my pin will be on its way back to adam for a week to get some work done on it so thats out for a little bit.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 17:32:33 (permalink)
    If I remember correctly, you have another one.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/08 19:46:07 (permalink)
    Nope not anymore that one is my sons now. He can cast pretty well for a 4yr old.
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 390
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/10 01:00:27 (permalink)
    As far a lubing a centerpin, I've tried various things including WD-40, graphite greases and oils.  What works best for me is to simply use WD-40 as a cleaning agent, spray some on a dry cloth and use it to wipe the inside of the reel clean. Don't leave any excess WD-40.   I only use the graphite grease on the switch mechanism that turns the ratchet/clicker on and off, simply because it is thick like vaseline and will not run.   There is a type of oil that comes with most Shimano reels. I don't know what it's called. Might be called gear oil.  I own about 10 Shimanos so I have about 10 tubes of it.  It's a clear oil in a clear tube with a light blue cap on it.   I will place just a few drops on the centerpin itself and smear it evenly with a Q-tip.   Then I'll put a few more drops on the same Q-tip and pop it in and out of the bearing(s) on the spool.  If you've ever taken your CP reel and given it a good hard spin and timed the spin-duration until it comes to a dead stop you'll probably find that it spins anywhere from about 40 seconds to 5 minutes depending on the reel. Spin duration is not always a function of the number of dollars you spend on the reel.  It also has to do with the amount of end-play that's built into the reel and often the expensive reels with the detachable spools will have more end play thus limiting the spin duration.   I have taken my JW Youngs Purist reel and increased my spin-duration from about 45 secs to 2 1/2 minutes just by lubing it as I described.   I'm not saying that you have a bad CP reel if it only spins 40-50 seconds.  What I am saying is that if I give my reel a spin and it times out at only 45 seconds then it needs a lubing.   Never, never ever use any kind of graphite grease or powdered graphite on your bearings.   It may improve the action of your guns or pistols but isn't meant for CP's.   Try this method and experiment.   You will probably find that when applying oils to the pin and the bearings that too much oil can be almost as bad as none at all.
    post edited by The Tuna - 2010/01/11 10:08:16
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/10 01:23:04 (permalink)
    ok  i will try some wd 40 on a cloth and give it a quick cleaning i took it apart and it isnt bad, alot cleaner than i thought. it still spins for a long time i only used it about 4 times so it is still pretty new
    Paine Falls
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/15 01:28:56 (permalink)
    WD-40 is a good lubricant/cleaner/protectant for your reel.  WD-40 is actually the last step of anodizing in some anodizing processes.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/18 07:31:30 (permalink)
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    RE: cleaning your reel 2010/01/18 17:47:17 (permalink)
    I just hit bearing overload,good info though.
    Jump to: