nice 8 point

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/19 07:01:55 (permalink)

nice 8 point

Trail cam pays off again. Found this buck 1/4 mile from my house. Might be hunting close to home this year...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

5 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: nice 8 point 2007/09/19 07:46:15 (permalink)
    Nice.  What impresses me is the age and body size. Takes alot for a buck to make it that far.  Good luck on him.  Take your night vision with ya, that is probably the only time he moves.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: nice 8 point 2007/09/19 08:48:01 (permalink)
    Tie him up, cram biologic down his throat and give him one more year. LOL

Like to get a couple people together who are SERIOUS about deer management and buy or lease some land.

If I can ever afford it, I will be doing the whole food plot/doe management... let young good deer walk type thing. Hell right now, Id be happy to have a place to hang a treestand without the fear of someone taking it.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: nice 8 point 2007/09/19 11:50:33 (permalink)
       Should count my blessings. There is a lot of area to hunt where I live. Most of it is open to the public..Often tried to get the people on the block of land we live on to not take any buck for a couple years so they could get to their full potential. To hard to do with to many hunters.

So i go by my own rule of thumb. He has to be bigger than the ones I have on the wall. If I shoot a buck I will get it mounted. Don't really care for buck meat once they hit the rut. If I want venison to eat one of those young Fifi's with fading spots will suffice..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: nice 8 point 2007/09/20 12:34:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Tie him up, cram biologic down his throat and give him one more year. LOL

Like to get a couple people together who are SERIOUS about deer management and buy or lease some land.

If I can ever afford it, I will be doing the whole food plot/doe management... let young good deer walk type thing. Hell right now, Id be happy to have a place to hang a treestand without the fear of someone taking it.

Leasing or owning your own ground is nice in the way that you may feel a little safer putting out cameras and stands etc. But, it is still hard to make a difference with management, unless you can get the surrounding property owners to do the same.

In time, I will inherit several hundred acres from my family. Currently, the 6 of us that hunt it, are very strict about what bucks we kill, and make sure we all fill our doe tags and bonus tags (if we can get them). Unfortunatley, the Broad Top Land Lease, a hunting club that leases thousands of acres, borders one side of our property. This club has decided over the past few years, to shoot only bucks, and NO does. This makes it hard for us to manage for larger older bucks, as the club hunts mainly with drives through rifle and muzzeloader season. Thankfully, many of the young bucks they spook during their drives find refuge on sections of our ground that we typically dont bother.

Another problem with owning land, is the fact that you cannot be there all the time. People will sneak in, and you truly cannot stop it. The "grass is greener on the other side" idea really shows with private ground. A lot of people see "no tresspassing" signs, and believe there must be huge bucks there, and lots of them. Since people will sneak in, your cameras treestands, etc.. are still not completely safe from theft.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: nice 8 point 2007/09/21 08:37:24 (permalink)
    Bings, i would shoot that buck, i was just kidding about biologic, he looks to be about 3->4 years old at least.
    Jump to: