Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ?

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/18 07:58:56 (permalink)

Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ?

can you tell I'm on my 4th big cup of coffee already ??
So Trout Ponds , Why do they close the season Oct-15th and not allow us to Ice or open water fish them until April-1 (or mid May as the ice out ? I think it sucks, I would love to be able to ice fish (no baitfish of course) those hike in brookie ponds. It would just open up a whole new world for me. Sure there are plenty of other places to fish but to be able to go where you know nobody will ever be (on ice) , thats what I really like.

I don't think that there would be a mad rush of anglers flooding those places and putting a hurting on the fishery. How many anglers are out there fishing those C&R trout waters this time of year ? Very few if any..
Keep the regs the same, no baitfish in areas and if it's a broodstock pond then close it for that period of spawning Oct-15th but open it back up Nov. 30th.
Maybe I'm just greedy for trout but being a trout bum all my life it leaves a void I wish to fill.

Anyone else feel this way ? Maybe we could start something here and I could present it to the DEC for a reg change in 2012.

More coffee please !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

13 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 08:45:53 (permalink)
    I ice fished brookies once in a state pond, was nailing them and even kept a few for the pan, nj probably knows the place between nev/pepac deep in the woods pass the hatchery.. i was lucky no game warden caught me. i kinda knew it was a seasonal trout pond but there were no signs posted, that day no body bothered me.. the next day as i was just starting to jig a warden came down and explained it was closed to ice fishing, He was a cool ranger, he could have ticketed me but,accepted my excuse that I had no idea and there were no signs posted nor was this little gem pond showing ice fishing prohibitted in the reg book, was so lucky he let me skate.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    kjo43
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 08:50:54 (permalink)
    Its a really interesting idea - if we were allowed, I'd certainly be there. The silence of a winter day in the woods is tough to beat. So lets assume like you said, this would not have an impact on the fishery itself - which I agree with.

I think 'no power equip' would be the right thing to do, both for transportation methods and ice cutting. I know most of the trails are already marked this way, but with few(er) people around in the winter I can see it being ignored.

Having a comparable location thats already done it would likley go a long way with the state even considering it, I think brookies can be taken in Canada through the ice.

Honestly, I think the biggest pushback would be related to enforcement, fear of baitfish getting into the ponds, and safety concerns & rescue costs.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 09:13:54 (permalink)
    kj, yea I think that bait fish would be the biggest concern from the dec point of view. really though if someone was to use minnows summer,spring or fall is no different, they are gonna use them. No gas augers , hummm , your right on about that one ! Should be without saying on a brookie pond but when it's in writing then it's law .. Rescue ? Nah not really an issue there , warm water ponds that are hike in which allow ice fishing , some with baitfish restrictions and there are some(very few)trout lakes (ponds- crane) which already have similar regs ( ice fishing>no minnows) so why not just open everything up.

Good response and I will mention it to my friend and Maybe, just maybe I can get something rolling.

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 10:21:57 (permalink)
    Well thats just the thing RJ, I would think if you are going to do C&R on a trout pond, you would have to limit the fishing to jigging only. Rainbows take worms under tip ups very deep some times...
    post edited by deadfishred - 2009/12/18 10:22:47
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 10:32:20 (permalink)
    Good point about how deep rainbows take worms from under tip-ups where ice fishing for them is permitted.  However, I also think we have enough species to catch through the ice without expanding the delicate trout fishing balance.  It would also give rise to the ever increasing cost of licenses to cover the people needed for patrolling all those areas, once opened to ice fishing for trout.
    The other big problem would be those snowmobilers who will access these remote lakes in no time at all rather than take the hiking route.  As for hand augers you would be cutting through upwards of 20-25" of ice, which would be exhausting for many of us to set tip-ups or jigs; although hand augers on trout ponds or lakes is the only way to go.

Eagle Ed

ORIGINAL: deadfishred

Well thats just the thing RJ, I would think if you are going to do C&R on a trout pond, you would have to limit the fishing to jigging only. Rainbows take worms under tip ups very deep some times...
    post edited by eagleed - 2009/12/18 10:33:47
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 11:00:46 (permalink)
    I wish there was a year-round trout season for guys who just like to take pictures of brookies and browns...

I am in full agreement with KJo- so long as everything is limited to manual power it would be awesome.

Just like the canoe wilderness areas in the ADKs.  I love them.  Some guys complain, but with 6,000,000 acres and over 3000 lakes, there is plenty of room for everyone to enjoy the recreation of their choosing.

I love that we have areas protected and pristine, and I love that some areas are open as "playgrounds" to everyone.  The Feds do that even better.  National Parks for the tree-huggers and backpackers, and National Forests for the hunters and off-road crowd. 

The one thing about wilderness is that you can't really get it back once it's gone.  A few roads can do an aweful lot to a huge tract of land.  But if we are walking and drilling holes by hand, even the feeling of quiet and "wild" is pretty much left intact.  I know the Mainers whack tons of brookies all winter.  I would like to as well!
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 15:55:16 (permalink)
    nice topic tuna,
    I love my trout ponds as much as anyone and I know its not 100% but most of the stocked ponds are open for ice fishing, and I think if the pond does get stocked they should be open, but the wild trout ponds should be closed during the spawn, which in some cases, like lakers can last into early december, maybe make the ponds open a lot earlier then then april especially for an early thaw.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 16:59:24 (permalink)
    jK, I know very few brookie ponds & or lakes that are open to ice fishing. Even with the April-1 opening you still cant fish them on the ice. Let me put in perspective and use only made up numbers. In the ADK's lets say there are 1,000 designated brook trout ponds, lakes (there are more then that but).. Out of 1,000 only 0 can be fished on the ice..
    Note I said designated brook trout ponds ..

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 18:13:17 (permalink)
    if it is designated a brook trout pond then it should be protected. Simple fact is they are on the decline unless man steps in to reintroduce them. When I worked in the saranac lake area doing fish surveys, i learned very early that brook trout in lakes and ponds only inhabited like 3-5% of there historic range.  I know you care about ponds like that and most likely not much bad would come of opening them up like you say, but why open that can of worms, there are lakes and ponds with brookies in them that you can fish.

As for not being able to fish on the ice after april 1st, i've never heard that but maybe on heritage ponds, i do know some places that are closed until april 1st that have brookies and you can fish them after april 1st with no tipups.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 19:12:55 (permalink)

Not busting stones, just passing information for people to learn.
    This is pretty basic stuff taken right from the Fishing regs...
    Walking on water is considered Ice Fishing....

Ice fishing is permitted in the following waters:

•All non-trout waters unless otherwise prohibited.
    •Certain trout waters listed in the guide including Lake Champlain, Lake Erie, Niagara River, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River, Finger Lakes, Border Waters, most New York City reservoirs, and all other waters designated as ICE FISHING PERMITTED in SPECIAL REGULATIONS BY COUNTY. Read through the regulations pertaining to the water you intend to fish. Where ice fishing is permitted, fish may be taken in accordance with the seasons, minimum size and creel limits in effect in that water. Wherever ice fishing is permitted, no more than two hand lines and 5 tip-ups may be used, except as noted in BORDER WATERS, LAKE CHAMPLAIN or SPECIAL REGULATIONS BY COUNTY. All tip-ups must be marked with the name and address of the operator. The operator must be present when lines (tip-ups or hand lines) are in the water. Tip-ups may only be operated on waters of the state between November 15 and April 30.
    Remember: Trout waters where ice fishing is permitted are specifically designated in this guide; ice fishing is prohibited in all other trout waters. If you are unsure whether a water is considered trout or non-trout, contact the DEC Regional Office for that area.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 19:51:51 (permalink)
    Nys has some great links, here's one that shows some brookie waters if you want to chase them

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32354.html

Trust me there are a few places that let you ice fish after april 1st for trout with no tip-ups that are closed for the seaon, I know of two that I ve been to, one is on the link and they are huge drawings of people, very common to get checked by officers, who never kick people out for ice fishing.

As for opening the pure brookie ponds, sorry dude I just think its a bad idea.

Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 20:40:36 (permalink)
    Yea man i did not look at the site but you are right there are some (few) in saranac & indian lake area that come to mind but they are more trout lake - ponds with brookies in them ( example follensby clear - fawn lake ).

I think it would be a great idea to open the ponds up, there are very ,very few who would take advantage of it and the impact would be minimal at best. Look at the open year round trout streams, heck most are road side & I don't see a parking problem there then .. If it's a C&R place then no, keep it closed until ice out.
    As for snow machines, heck I'd love to see them try to get into most places, bushwacking up a mountain is just that , bushwacking... Rangers & ECO's, enforcement ? Man if I see a ranger or eco' in the spring while brookie fishin, humm.. in 30 years not seen 1 yet back there , not sayin they are not out there but what extra enforcement then none would be needed. Locks only keep the honest people out...

Oh well, I'll mention it to the advisory board just thought the trout bums would be on board a little more...
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/12/18 20:46:20

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout Ponds On Ice - Thoughts ? 2009/12/18 23:32:37 (permalink)
    hey I'm all for more brookie stocking in the lakes and ponds, especially a little closer to home

Charles Haas
    Jump to: