Question!!

Author
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/17 23:13:09 (permalink)

Question!!

headed to WMU 2B for some doe hunting after christmas, what is the best shotgun slug to use?? ive shot sabots before but missed several deer and im usually a trusty shot, just wondered if maybe the flight path wasn as true as i thought, thanks

18 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/18 08:16:39 (permalink)
    Are you shooting sabots through a smoothbore?  If you are, it hasn't made you a bad shot.  Sabots are not at all designed for smoothbore shotguns. 

If you're not hitting your target shooting sabots through a rifled barrel slug gun, well then you've got some problems. 

As far as the best sabots go, I don't know if they're the best, but Lightfield Express 2 3/4 inch have been the preferred flavor for my Mossberg 500.  Remington Copper Solids are a close second.  Stay away from the 3 in. mag slugs.  They'll dislocate your shoulder. 

If you're looking for the best rifled slug to shoot through a smoothbore, I can't help you.
    post edited by rsquared - 2009/12/18 10:41:50
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/18 08:51:34 (permalink)
    The best slugs to use are the ones that you site your shotgun in with at the range. You obviously haven't done this or you'd be able to answer your own question. Stay home until you do.......respect the game you hunt.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/18 09:11:47 (permalink)
    Jk, nice remark. I hope you miss every deer you ever shoot at.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/18 18:29:19 (permalink)
    I have to agree with JK. I sound as though the poster has no put any time in at the range. Otherwise he would have known before missing "several deer", that the "flight path" wasn't accurate. Sounds like he picked up a box the night before, and just headed into the woods

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/18 23:59:59 (permalink)
    look here fellas im a young gun still learning , i got brought into the shotgun world by my dad , so i havent learned much , my mossberg (spelling)835 is by far my favorite gun. i shoot it constantly and every minute i can spare from school im in the woods , im just asking questions, when i sighted my gun in with my simons scope, which i should have added before that i had a scope, the thing jumped all over paper, when i finally got dialed in my best pattern was like a 5 inch dia. grouping , which is pretty poor by my standards , theres just alot of things i dont know , i was hoping to use you guy's advice to put some time in at the range before i even go to 2B , i wanna make sure i can shoot at my best so i dont wind up just missing like before or even making a poor shot , im trying to become the best i can be and i sure need all the help i can get
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/19 08:57:28 (permalink)
    Don't know much about shotgun slugs since I never hunted with one, but it sounds like you are not using a slug gun (rifled barrel). You are not going to get good acceracy from a smooth bore, like said above. Another thing is your scope a shotgun scope? I heard shotguns can mess regular scopes up mabey why its jumping.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/19 09:16:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: smally hunter

look here fellas im a young gun still learning , i got brought into the shotgun world by my dad , so i havent learned much , my mossberg (spelling)835 is by far my favorite gun. i shoot it constantly and every minute i can spare from school im in the woods , im just asking questions, when i sighted my gun in with my simons scope, which i should have added before that i had a scope, the thing jumped all over paper, when i finally got dialed in my best pattern was like a 5 inch dia. grouping , which is pretty poor by my standards , theres just alot of things i dont know , i was hoping to use you guy's advice to put some time in at the range before i even go to 2B , i wanna make sure i can shoot at my best so i dont wind up just missing like before or even making a poor shot , im trying to become the best i can be and i sure need all the help i can get

Calm down, take a deep breath, and squeeze the trigger while consentrating on a small spot on the deer (the same as your bullseye on your target)! Good luck and let us know how you do!
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/19 09:32:28 (permalink)
    Smally Hunter -

Two people have asked, and we really can't help you till we know: Are you shooting a rifled barrel slug gun or a smooth bore?

It makes a huge difference in the advice you're looking for. 
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/19 10:40:23 (permalink)
    rifled , i have a horrible habit of thinking stuff and forgeting to write it , sorry bout that , and rollcaster it is a shotgun , we bought them the same day we bought the guns , my dads gun shoots in good and holds its pattern , mine on the other hand idk still , could it be the fact that mine was a cheaper than my fathers, his scope was like 150 mine was somewhere around 50
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/19 10:52:53 (permalink)
    Check scope mounts,to see if there tight,scope may be the problem,or shooter or slugs,I've played with a lot of slugs,my 1187 love rem.cooper slugs,my little 20 mossberg,loves Fed Preimum Barnes Exspanders,most shotgun have a rather stiff trigger,you my have to get some trigger work,I know I've spent a ton of money on different slugs and shot less than 15 deer with them,but in Ohio,and NY you got to use them.
    crazy4ice
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/20 16:02:18 (permalink)
    U might try Remington Copper solids 2 3/4 shot better out of my 835 than the 3 inchers. Also my simmons scope that came with the gun didnt take the pounding that slugs give Try a scope made for slug guns Leopold 2x7 vx11 little pricey but worth it
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/20 19:08:29 (permalink)
    If you have the $ to upgrade, I'd highly recommend a Nikon Prostaff scope. There is a model made specifically for slug guns. It's what I have on my Mossberg 500 slug gun.

As Tuna said, are your scope mounts tight? If you're a kid, not saying that you can't do it, but it might be a good idea to get a knowledgeable adult to check that out for you. Heck, even if you're not a kid, and you're not familiar with the gun & scope, get a knowledgeable person to check it out for you. Most local gun shops would be glad to do that kind of thing for you - many for a few bucks, some for free.

I'd definitely recommend shooting 2 3/4 inch slugs. If you're shooting 3 in. mags you could be pounding cheaper, improperly mounted scope right out of alignment. I really can't ever see a reason that I'd ever go to 3 in. slugs in my gun. They just hurt, and IMO, do not provide the accuracy that the 2 3/4 in. loads do. As has been suggested, Remington copper solids are decent loads. My gun prefers Lightfield Express. Buy a pack of each till you find what works.

Here's another issue that's very easy to diagnose: are you flinching? With a slug gun, even a slight flinch can send a slug way off target at 100 yards. It took me a LOT of practice and time shooting with my slug gun to cut down on flinching. Next time you go to shoot, have a buddy go with you and load your gun. Once in awhile, have him put in a spent shell without telling you. When you pull the trigger and flinch, you'll both have a good chuckle.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/20 20:07:37 (permalink)
    if you can get(borrow) a gun sled too..they help quite a bit with the flinching issue and you know you arent moving up and down all the time.
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/20 21:19:44 (permalink)
    hey thanks for all that, ill def give it all a try , about that scope im sure i can afford one , i work a decent amount for a highschool student and beings that ive been a bum and yet to get my liscense all my money heads straight to hunting and fishing stuff, ill update on results and once again i appreciate the advice
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/21 07:44:09 (permalink)
    Last year I bought this barrel/scope for my 835

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4956492

Bought a few boxes of Brenneke Gold magnums and sighted in at 50 yards. They are 3 for 3 so far.

I haven't tried shooting it any further than 50 yards, because I have no need to. Not sure if these are the "best" slugs or not, but they've worked for me, so far.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/21 08:43:40 (permalink)
    The scope (and ~ or) mounts sound like the culprit to me too.
    Does it still have open sights on it too, or just the scope?
    If it has open sights you could just take the scope off & see if it'll group better without it.
    I'd be willing to bet it just knocked the snot outta your scope & it won't hold zero anymore.
    Slug guns really put a wollup on a scope, that's why they make special scopes for shotguns...bet that'd take care of it.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/21 09:49:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rollcaster

Jk, nice remark. I hope you miss every deer you ever shoot at.

Sorry you took offense....good news though I got buck on Sunday in Ohio at 85 yards, out of a slug gun that has been shot too many times to count with too many loads to list...keep hoping though.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Question!! 2009/12/21 15:11:04 (permalink)
    smally,

I shoot a Mossburg 500 w/ a scoped cantilever rifled barrel.  Lightfield Hybreds shoot very well from my gun.  I have tried the Rem copper solids with no luck, as well as the Win sabots.  However, i have friends with the same gun as me and lightfields don't shoot well out of their guns at all.  Slug guns are finicky and you need to do some experimenting with different loads from the bench.  I understand your shoulder will ache and buying boxes of several different types of sabots will be pricey, but like mentioned, you owe it to the game your hunting to be confident in a quick clean kill.

Secondly, your barrel is rifled and you should only be shooting sabots from it if you plan to keep the gun for any length of time.  If you shoot not saboted slugs through a rifled barrel, over time the soft fragments of lead will foul the rifling grooves in the barrel.

One last thing, double check your rings and scope mounts like Pork mentioned.  If you can't find any load that will shoot well from your gun I would be the scope can't handle the recoil.  A good shockproof scope is a must for a slug gun.

Good luck and shoot straight! 
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2009/12/21 15:13:26
    Jump to: