Yellow Breeches

Author
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/13 14:53:21 (permalink)

Yellow Breeches

The Yellow Breeches runs through my daughter's college campus, so I've been thinking about giving it a try.  I'm driving up from VA, so also wondering about some of the creeks I cross coming up 15--like Latimore, Marsh,Bermudan, Tom's...  I can't remember all the names I saw.

Anybody fish any of those?

13 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 12:27:03 (permalink)
    Hi & Yes I fish the YB some. Are you a fly fisher?

Lyrical
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 13:51:05 (permalink)
    Breeches is OUTSTANDING.......fly fishing....bait.....lures

I love tossing bigger stickbaits and spinners this time of the year........I believe that you can never toss something too big when you are fishing Yellow Breeches......

You can catch them on flies too.........

www.2bonthewater.com
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 16:34:14 (permalink)
    Gee, thanks. I'll try to remember that. 

Lyrical
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 18:37:28 (permalink)
    lol!
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 18:57:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response.

I do fly fish, though am by no means an expert and most my fly fishing in recent years has been in Erie for steelhead.  Looking at the YB,  I'm not exactly sure where to start.  I don't have much experience matching hatches and limited experience in general with dries, though I'd love to learn more. 

I do know that asking to be "spoon fed" on these boards is a no-no, and I sympathize with that sentiment, but any general information would be much appreciated.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 19:30:17 (permalink)
    There is a C&R area in Boiling Springs that is always well stocked, plus plenty of open water with a few holdovers & wee Wild Browns I hear.. The local fly shop right in Boiling Springs has any info. you'll need. Yellow Breeches Outfitters is the name.
    I fish either a shrimp or Cress Bug mostly. Midges work too. I mean unless Fish are rising.
    I never fished near Messiah (I guess that's the coll.), but Boiling Springs is only 10 or 15 min. from there.
    The fly shop web site has maps to all surrounding streams & all that.

Lyrical
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 20:45:13 (permalink)
    yeah

www.2bonthewater.com
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/14 21:17:49 (permalink)
    Thanks.  I'll have to check the BS area out, though I'm not big on crowds so will probably end up working the area around her campus.  Looking off a couple bridges, I could see several decent trout, some smaller ones, and a TON of fall fish.  The creek appears to be good for wading, so I'm thinking I'll see if I can't walk a good piece of it to get a feel for the water. 

I'll probably also try some of the smaller streams  on the way up to see if they have any wild trout or natives.  I'll see if the fly shop has any topos that might give a little more detail on them.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/15 01:45:02 (permalink)
    The Breeches is totally wadeable. No big crowds around anywhere this time of year. I've caught some big Fallfish in my days on it.
    When I was in high school many moons ago my friends & I threw Rooster Tails allot. White, Black & Green & Black always seemed to work well.
    There was a Tiny Weenie frog that wobbled & rattled reeling it in. I lost a great fish once in flood stage with one of those.
    If you want a little company for a while when you're here shoot me a pm & I'd be glad to show you around some.
    If I were fishing lower like near the collage I'd probably stick with Beadhead Pheasant tails & Beadhead Hares ears for flies. If you are comfortable fishing a tandem rig trail it with a soft hackle. Big results.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2009/12/15 01:47:54

Lyrical
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/15 06:26:44 (permalink)
    Thanks again, ST, for the info and the offer to fish.  It won't be until sometime in the New Year that I get up there at this point, but when I do I'll send you a PM and see if our schedules coincide.  
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/16 12:41:20 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine who is a biology professor over at Shippensburg spends much of his time on either the Breeches, Letort or the Spring. I have spent time on these creeks with him and they are truly gems. Charlie and Vince were right with everything they ever wrote about those streams. Take a camera.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/16 16:47:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

A buddy of mine who is a biology professor over at Shippensburg spends much of his time on either the Breeches, Letort or the Spring. I have spent time on these creeks with him and they are truly gems. Charlie and Vince were right with everything they ever wrote about those streams. Take a camera.

Lucky man. I wonder if I've crossed paths with him? I never see much of humans in my fishing places, but the shops I see some fellas.

Lyrical
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Yellow Breeches 2009/12/16 16:59:37 (permalink)
    that's because your spot you gotta duck, jump, climb and wiggle your way back into... 

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Jump to: