where's the ICE?

Author
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/08 10:13:45 (permalink)

where's the ICE?

Sitting here, hoping, anxiously awaiting for some ice to form on my favorite lakes.....

anyone been out fishing?  I have not had the time to fish one bit.....

www.2bonthewater.com

4 Replies Related Threads

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2515
    RE: where's the ICE? 2009/12/08 10:57:01 (permalink)
    Yea, I'm also waiting. Way too early for any good ice to form. Time though to get equipment ready. If the weather forcast for winter is accurate, we should have a nice long season. What do you enjoy trying to catch? I like to go for trout, and on occasion drop down some smelt or shiners for something bigger.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: where's the ICE? 2009/12/08 11:45:06 (permalink)
    I am not too picky!! I just love the nibble--love my ST. Croix Legend Ice rods and my HT ICE blues UL rod--that little sucker is the cheapest rod I have purchased and has caught the most fish!!!!   

Love fishing for Trout at Antietam Lake and Deep Creek Lake or hitting Ontelaunee Lake for whatever wants to bite--  especially the crappie and bigger gills.......some nice Pike and Largemouth get pulled  out of Ontelaunee Lake every ice season......and even some nice yellow perch........lots of small yellow perch in Antietam Lake

I have a relative who owns a house in a private community.......they drain it about 1/2 way down.......I finally found the fish last year.....what a blast it is fishing there.......plenty of large gills and bass.......lots of fun...

I also have ice fished Blue Marsh Reservoir.......with mixed results......mostly panfish and I was almost spooled once on a tip-up that had a few dead shiners on the business end......figured either big cat or musky.....I'll never know !!!   it took forever to get the line........then back onto the spool !!!!  it just never stopped........

fished a few places in schuylkill county also--  wieser state forest waters and pumping station dam

www.2bonthewater.com
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: where's the ICE? 2009/12/08 19:31:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 2Bonthewater

fished a few places in schuylkill county also--  pumping station dam

Will you even be able to fish it this year?

I guess they had a massive drawback in July, in hopes fish would be caught. By the time I got there in August it was back, probably higher than I'd seen it in the past years around that time of the year.

Many trout there.

post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2009/12/08 19:34:22
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: where's the ICE? 2009/12/11 08:35:49 (permalink)
    they pummel it with trout........even in the winter.........it was fun, but not a place that I would head to day after day.......

I fished it with a friend, his first time ice fishing......it was fun.......the fish were all swimming together near the dam wall-- I thought it would be super deep there, but that wasn't the case........

I was told that it filled back up........and that the owners are trying to find other means, cheaper means to have any issues resolved.........

I am not sure if it will be fishable this winter or not.......I have a friend who works with a few guys that fish there often.........I'll give an update if given one

If I am in that area, I'd rather fish WEISER state forest.......all kinds of fish swimming in the reservoirs.......just have to find them.......I have caught pickerel there and not much else through the ice.......just need to find the fish.......I have only ice fished there twice.......even walked into the middle reservoir--that was quite the haul while dragging the sled and gear......about 3-miles from the road.......nice and quiet though.........I like nice and quiet

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: