Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
deadfishred
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 293
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/07 15:54:58 (permalink)

good forecast!

I usually resist the temptation of the long-range forecast, but this has got me excited! Starting Friday, they are calling for the daily high temps to not exceed 28 degrees for a WHILE! Pure awesomeness. Bring on the ICE!

37 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/07 16:01:01 (permalink)
    In your expert opinion, how long does it take ice to form on smaller bodys of water under these conditions ?

I have never really paid attention to how long it takes to form ???

Thank you !

And if i fall in , it's your fault  LOL
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/12/07 16:09:12
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/07 17:11:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

In your expert opinion, how long does it take ice to form on smaller bodys of water under these conditions ?

I have never really paid attention to how long it takes to form ???

Thank you !

And if i fall in , it's your fault  LOL

just a few days....once they lock up the smaller bodies of water build ice fast....... maybe this weekend!.......... beats sittin in a treestand staring at nothing...again
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/07 19:08:12 (permalink)
    I'm no expert on such things, but I did live in Alaska for awhile AND, I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But I think SOF is right on target since a lot of it has to do with wind (or lack of) also.  Last winter my lake tried to freeze many, many times but failed to freeze all the way across (lock up) because of the wind.  For several weeks when I would leave my driveway on the way to work the lake would be skimmed over with just a little open water in the middle...

But if the wind blew, nearly the entire lake would be open water again when I got home.  I think the key is for a COMPLETE layer to form on CALM and cold nights to prevent waves from breaking/melting the formed ice.  After several weeks here on the mountain, we finally had two really calm days and the lake froze and just got thicker all winter long.  You guys probably recall the vans and jeeps driving all over it last year. 

Man, I sure hope the same thing happens this season!

I hope I don't sound like "Debbie Downer", I am surely as fired-up for solid ice as the rest!!!!

But I kept falling for the excitement here on my lake the last few winter seasons and it can be crushing to just sit and WAIT!!!  But alas, we've got the Adirondacks and I know it was in the TEENS in Glens Falls last night so that means some of those tasty little pike ponds are dealing with air temps in the single digits at night!!!!

Bring it on!!! 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/07 20:42:56 (permalink)
    yea starting to look good.. we just need to get past weds & thurs. Yup, it's all about wind, night time lows & locking the ice in. Once the water is locked it will take a good 3 > 5 nights to get a solid (for me) surface. Of course the smaller water will be first and I'd expect they should be ready by the first day of winter 12/21. This weekend ???? Maybe not quite that soon... As most , myself included we tend to fish larger (100+acre) lakes , again I'm thinking 2010 and let the loony tunes begin..
    Sooner would be better !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/08 08:25:41 (permalink)
    People were out on the little lakes in Partridge Run last year very early........it is in Southern Albany County but way up in elevation........... not great fishin but there are panfish, pickerel etc and ......  it is still fun hangin in the shanty!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/08 09:14:52 (permalink)
    SOF - I was going to take a drive by them this weekend
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/08 09:23:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

SOF - I was going to take a drive by them this weekend

who knows.........with the forecast maybe we can fish em Sunday......
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/08 10:08:51 (permalink)
    to be honest, I don't mind a couple of days of big wind. Nothing...NOTHING cools a body of water down faster than being frothed by 20 degree air. After that big wind were gonna get, one or two calm cold nights, and the smaller lakes will be solid...my guess is that the small stuff around here will be ready by 12/19...

who was it that wasn't panicking a few weeks ago at the warm weather?

ORIGINAL: deadfishred

Brian Brian Brian - come on, I know your a glass-half-full kinda guy....

My bet is that we will be on the ice by Christmas...

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/08 11:27:39 (permalink)
    I wanna' ice fish on Christmas!!!

Luckilly, the small waters out in Cortland/Cayuga Counties have skim ice already so it sounds like I can scoot out there to spend the holiday on the hardwater with a buddy of mine who is also "family-less" this time of year.

Its actually a lot of fun to be out on major holidays when everyone else is at home arguing with in-laws.

I was going to go out and spend Thanksgiving on Corss/Seneca/Keuka but decided against it at the last minute. 

But I think Xmas might be a real possibility!
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 07:54:48 (permalink)
    From thursday on the daily high temp is below freezing with lows in the teens .......... just in time since huntin is done in a week and a half.

Who is in for an early season adventure?  ...  and where?
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 09:53:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ship of Fools

right here...I got a 1/2 dozen spots within 1.25 hours that get early safe ice AND great fishing.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:03:18 (permalink)
    I foresee a trip to North River in the very near future!!!

I decided to 'work from home' today, so if anyone wants to brave the snow and come party, bring it on!!!

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:15:16 (permalink)
    Saw a report on the small local ponds, nothing really good yet !
    Saved me a scouting trip anyway ... for now.

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:21:07 (permalink)

right here...I got a 1/2 dozen spots within 1.25 hours that get early safe ice AND great fishing.

Lance.....just let me know when and where.....i am jonesin for some ice fishin
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:28:46 (permalink)
    I also decided to work at home today and so far it's been all work Dropped the wife off at work or I'd for sure be up for a north trip today. For now it's back to plowing snow & doin laundry.

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:37:00 (permalink)

Lance.....just let me know when and where.....i am jonesin for some ice fishin

the only question is "when"...I am going to get all my ice fishing stuff out during the week next week, and am assuming that there will be safe ice by Saturday or Sunday (12/19-20) if the cold weather holds up. My only thing is that I need 4" of clear ice or a total of 6 inches of mixed ice before I feel safe...
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:37:13 (permalink)
    I am predicting a post from "Ice Fishing Steve" sometime in the next 24hrs...

Now that the snow is here, I would imagine he's thinking about nothing but Lakers and Walleye until April!!!

Where you at, Steve?  Won't be long until the bright orange hat is once again spotted on local waters!!!!

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 10:43:48 (permalink)
     My only thing is that I need 4" of clear ice or a total of 6 inches of mixed ice before I feel safe...

I have this hilarious vision in my head of a bunch of us up north, with Big Red leading us across the ice with a spud bar in hand.  And us grown men following him around like the pied piper, stepping in his every footprint.

Early season is so sketchy!!!  But last year we basically blew right past "thin ice" and went straight into "fearless mode" by the end of December up north!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 16:40:43 (permalink)
    The 10 day for the far north (Saranac) looks awesome (teens & single #'s ) . There are some pike ponds I know that should be hard by next weekend up there.. I would like to see some Warren, Hamilton co. or even Essex tighten up but not sure it will , so how far north should we go fellas ?? Won't be hunting, won't be standing in water and I'm up for a road trip..

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 17:39:59 (permalink)
    That depends tuna. There are a couple places locally that usually freeze very early (Myosotis, mariahville, lunkerville) plus there are some lakes on the Western Mass border that freeze even earlier (guys were driving trucks on them before christmas last year). The ones in the adks that always seem to be safe first though are Adirondack Lake and Paradox Lake (very big pike in paradox)...
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 18:11:55 (permalink)
    Big Bass in there too, Tuna!!!  Oh wait, you already know that dont' you?

Disregard any comments regarding those lakes on the Warren/Hamilton border...  There are no lakes there and if there was, they would never freeze.  And if they did freeze, the fishing sucks in both of them. 

But Myosotis?  Now we're talking!!! 
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 18:32:16 (permalink)
    I am in .... wherever, whenever ....

But if it's an option let's start the year off with some pike
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 18:38:31 (permalink)
    I cant wait to get out on the water with you guys! This season is gonna be awesome.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 19:01:07 (permalink)
    Myself will be looking north next weekend with anyone welcome. I just don't see it happening locally with the 10 day temps. I know got'em most likely will be the earliest to hit all the local waters and until I hear from him my compass points north.
    Yea those northern waters don't hold any fish huh ?? Alas they are big waters also and I expect a 2010 (sure would be sweet to have a January Jamboree) . The subaru has new snows and a good road tripper for some nice pike ponds up ^ north
    Hope for the best !!!

Look here 10 day Saranac, Not above freezing
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USNY1285?from=36hr_topnav_vacation

Now 10 day Chestertown,
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USNY0265?from=36hr_topnav_vacation

Indian Lake,
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USNY0707?from=36hr_topnav_vacation
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/12/09 19:15:57

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 20:15:43 (permalink)
    Dag Nabbit!!! (Did I really just say that?)

I was hoping to be in on the 2nd Annual "first ice celebration" up around Chestertown with some of you but I am tied up next weekend.  UGH!  My college buddy's band is throwing their annual XMas bash show in Auburn and I never miss it.  But the plus side is, the past two years they have gotten ice way sooner then we have here. 

I should at least be walking on hardwater next Saturday afternoon (19th) once I regain conciousness after the bash.  But I think last season we all went up north during that gap between Christmas and New Years, right?

I am hoping to convince at least a few of you to head up to the old stomping grounds with me the day after XMas for some pike action!!!  (and Walleye and Smallies and Largies and Crappies and Perch and Bluegill)

I know ya'll got families and stuff, but won't you be ready by Saturday morning!?!  P-L-E-A-S-E?!?

Where you at Dougie???  It's my turn to drive you up there this year!!!
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 21:16:35 (permalink)
    I will be ready for sure Jimmy! Sitting here staring at this shanty and vex has me ready to go.
    got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/09 23:47:17 (permalink)
       who was on partdridge run the day before thanksgiving day last year ...ya man..not so this year I don't think anything around our neck of the woods will be safe before x-mas this yr.,did someone say ROAD TRIP..I have the next two weekends OFF...if any of you fellow hardwater fishermen are going on one,my bud,yamonfishinmon would LOVE to tag along..  ...Jimmy,Tuna,Red anyone ????
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/10 06:27:45 (permalink)
    Tuna  ....  i'll head north with you ...  we'll firm everything up next week as the ice forms!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: good forecast! 2009/12/10 09:51:53 (permalink)
    I am down for ice fishing at least one day next weekend...If I get another deer this weekend, I will ice fish both days.

I just got a call that my buddy Tom is heading up to the Tupper Lake region THIS weekend, supposedly there are some bodies of water up there that have good ice on them...I will try to find out for sure...but no matter what, we WILL have good ice next weekend.

HOLY CRAP IM PUMPED!!!!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: