Angling Specialties/Paines Falls

Author
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/30 23:02:05 (permalink)

Angling Specialties/Paines Falls

Im looking into starting center pinning and was wondering if anyone had a lead on an Angling specialty reel with the 4 large holes in it or a Paine Falls. Used is fine and preferred. What rod would you guys pair with either of these reels? Im also assuming either would be great too learn on. They will be used in PA and most likely some NY soon.

3 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Angling Specialties/Paines Falls 2009/12/01 21:40:53 (permalink)
    The Ang. Specs are not cheap...even used they are hard to come by....good reels...check some of the classifieds in floatfishing.net, the steelhead site etc.  As far as rod...it depends what you're comfortable with and what you're willing to spend.  Can't go wrong with the St. Croixs (made in USA)...I guess the new Avid series are supposed to be pretty good.  The Wild Rivers are nice rods too, the 11'6" having more backbone than the 13'.  You could also go with a nice custom Rainshadow XST or IST both good rods, but I guess the 3 pc 13' XSTs are breaking....do your homework and research, I know I did for months before I made final decisions....The Loomis' are light as hell rods and nice, but too pricey for me and I won't ever buy another because of some issues I had dealing with Shimano who now owns Loomis.

As for the reel purchase, I would highly recommend Paine Falls not only because its a tremendous product, but because its made right here in the USA by a guy right in Painesville OH.  He backs his product 100% and will service it quick and easy just in case.  Also can customize to your liking.  Why not support a local guy and homemade product?  However, a used PFC is also hard to come by because most who buy them, hang on to them since they are tanks of reels!  Good Luck and if you have anymore specific Qs, ask away...alot of knowledgable guys here.
    Carphead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Angling Specialties/Paines Falls 2009/12/01 22:30:06 (permalink)
    Not too many used Paine Falls out there because they are still pretty new. In a year or two you"ll start to see some used ones for sale likely from guys that bought them then decided they didn't want to pin anymore.

I'll back up the Paine Falls comments. I've used mine on carp, cats, and bass and have no complaints. The genesis is a 5" reel and not exactly light, so if thats the reel you want, keep that in mind when selecting a rod. The craftsmanship on the PF is decent, and as mentioned before they are built SOLID. After checking out the prototype, I bought mine before Adam even started production on the genesis. I was hoping (and taking a gamble) they would get popular and be a very good reel so it would be not only a tool, but an investment as well. I think I made a good choice. If you look at any desirable centerpin, a lot have a high resale value, and some fetch a ton more than what they cost new.

I won't make a recomendation as far as a specific rod because what works or feels good to me might not be so for you. Depends on the reel you choose as well. I will say that as far as mass produced rods I think St. Croix, Gloomis, (you don't have to spend an arm?leg) and some of the older Fenwicks(not glass) are worth looking at. Even better if you can find some rods from across the pond such as Drennan, Preston, or Youngs. These rods are specific to centerpinning and are built accordingly. Problem is shipping one to the states costs almost as much as the rod. I found some in Canada, but sometimes it can be tough locating them in North America.

".......because flyfishermen are the highest ranking authority on the creeks."----Swinger 9/15/2009
    Paine Falls
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Angling Specialties/Paines Falls 2009/12/07 09:54:22 (permalink)
    HCSteel,

I'll let you know if I see or hear of anything. 

Thank you for the kind compliments guys!  I wanted to chime in and say that if weight is a concern when choosing a reel, Paine Falls offers aluminum accents such as the reel foot and the thumbscrew so that they are lighter in weight down around the 9.5-10.5 oz range depending on how it is ported.  IMO structural integrity can be sacraficed trying to go lighter than that on a true 5" reel.  You could of course go smaller in diameter and that is a possibility too.

Best regards!

Adam
    post edited by Paine Falls - 2009/12/07 09:55:50
    Jump to: