Windy Days for Fishing

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/28 07:58:17 (permalink)

Windy Days for Fishing

My radio alarm woke me 5am and I heard wind advisories with sustained gusts for most of today, so I went back to sleep. Also seen online wind weather advisory ..I can't stand high winds..i'm putting it off and taking my time,tomorrow will be better day.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

12 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/28 18:55:25 (permalink)
    just got back from a day in the woods in Oneonta. Rain , Snow & heavy winds. Not great for hunting but another 1 bites the dust... 2 to go....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/28 19:11:59 (permalink)
    Nice job Tuna!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 13:12:32 (permalink)
    Yeahhh RJ way to go.   Surf and Turf at Jimmys this season!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 16:10:54 (permalink)
    RJ filling the freezer ... what about you other boys ?
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 17:20:09 (permalink)
    No deer for me unfortunately.  Gave up my last three days of hunting for the Denver trip.  Well worth it though!  One more day left possibly, but we'll see.  

Showing up is 88% of life!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 19:35:02 (permalink)
    Don't worry they hunting & filling their tags . I still have my buck & bow/muzzle tags left. Sure wish I was out today as the weather was PERFECT for them (chomp,chomp on acorns). They were all laying down and still hunted yesterday in the wind, deer hate windy days. Nobody hunts my property and I heard no shots since opening day and they were well over 2 miles off. As things would have it today and next friday was cut firewood day(s). I'm not sure if my bro in-law is hunting again and it looks like I may just camp there next weekend..

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 20:31:15 (permalink)
    guys no **** honest the truth.. went up yesterday gander middletown.. returned the parka rj..want to wait on a better deal.. anyway, this may interest jk and nj..got to the roundout at 3:30pm still windy but doable..my first cast on the 52 side by the memorial i got a hit reeling in and at least a half dozen small ft long browns followed my blue/ sil 1/4 croc few casts and before it got dark i managed two releases kept none..went to bros to sleepover..next morning 9.30am hit the E managed 4 bows one brown all small.. from here i'll paste what i pm'd jerry :Nice jerry! glad you enjoy the sling! I'm still using my planar soft tackle, today i finally hooked and landed a runner, in fact it was the biggest esopus brown I caught in my 20 yrs or so fishing that tough headwater. Spotted it noon time off a closed bridge and walked down along the shore without waders and would you believe i foget the camera home! lol i let go after playing it in on 4lb test.. it was a very tired male no net just dragged it and beached it between my danners.. while i was fumbling for a tap in my pack, it flipped back in.. it stayed there and i laughed another 14 blackbird on and pink bt sack.. it stayed there and few drifts later i got the poor dope again.. i tell you it was the biggest worst fight of the year! the poor hook jawed slob fought like a **** sick carp!.. let it go, walked up to the truck , downed a cold one and off to the next pool.. not much at all after that but beautiful day.. i totaled 6 small native bows one small brown and the first and only runner of the season. happy holidays bro!john.. amazingly i endeavored and finally got a runner for 09!ironically, i had not bothered putting on waders the whole trip and forgot the camera.. that trophy brown had to be pushing 5 6 lbs at 24 in. was certainly a pretty fish but fought dead tired.. it had to be an old fish imo.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 20:39:46 (permalink)
    deer are smart, they know they are being hunted.. i see them where i usually don't see them along the road on the no hunting side of the res. last night i seen an 8 pointer on the resi going to my bros at night ..my bros friend said that was his deer! lol ,, i doubt he or anyone will get that smart buck rifle season anyway!!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 20:54:09 (permalink)
    what you don't think I'd like a good fish story ?? (LOL) Thats awesome John, you know and have all the memories of that fish.. I have hundreds more memories then photos. Ya know the E is 1/2hr from my house and I never fish there, did many times but havent in years.. Funny how you drive many miles to fish near me & I drive many miles to fish... Strange huh ?
    As for the jacket: If you like something and are happy with the product thats all that matters.
    The jacket I have in the pic's is strictly a wading jacket and not one you would want to wear for other things. The only real dual purpose stuff I own is my hunting clothing and I buy high performance gear and in the bargain place. I look EVERYDAY at ALL the bargain stuff. Good luck !!

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/29 22:35:42 (permalink)
    That male i spotted from the top of the iron the dead end closed owego bridge on the 28 side ..I don't think i could have spooked it if i tried .. it was just laying there like a tired spawned out salmon.. but it picked up the pink twice!! using a float too .. hooked and landed it twice go figure!!lol.. From there, drove around to other side on coldbrook upstream .. jumped a 2 lber but that fish never hit again.. afterwhile 2 little bows more..went to the lake 3:30..gates were closed so no show there..i knew earlier i forgot my camera..lol very pronounced hook jaw huge head the water was clear and i was holding a busch in one hand straddling boulder shoreline holding that fish high with the ul until i got closer to the bridges eddy sand shore where i kick it up.. could have easily recordered the whole thing.. no contest at all ..anyway, it is a memory to share with all.. as for the parka,, i liked it but felt like shopping around after seeing the cabelas insulated one with thinsulate for 50 bucks less.. i thought to wait after xmas sale.. it's not a rush just got my sheffield floats and blackbirds from fishusa order! that's it on the E until the springtime.. hoping this winter we have a good one!

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/30 17:35:54 (permalink)
    nice stuff backin, a few years ago we saw a true monster brown taken from the esopus in the spring, it landed on the front page of the local paper, I believe it was 28 or 29" and the guy landed it about 50yds upstream of us, great stuff.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Windy Days for Fishing 2009/11/30 20:11:24 (permalink)
    Some local ripping a 5-6 incg tiger stickbait said he had a huge one follow it in several times but wouldn't hit.. met him weeks before.. he apparently was good with that lure but i didn't like watching him having to use pliers on those poor little ones about the same size as the lure.. hanging trout with trebels like that is senselessly raising the mortality of those natives..jmho..yeah jk, it was a 10 day for a sunday last weekend on the E too. I like to try woodland for the bows april

Jump to: