NO HERRING

Author
trophyman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/27 18:09:29 (permalink)

NO HERRING

It looks like we will not be able to use herring in 2012 as per amendment #2 adopted by the atlantic states marine fisheries commission this is not final their will be a public meetingin january or february of 2010 if you are interested in this check out the amendment at www.asmfc.org under "managed species" shad and river herring

1 Reply Related Threads

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: NO HERRING 2009/11/27 18:21:15 (permalink)
    "The Amendment requires that state and jurisdictions develop sustainable fishery plans in order to maintain a commercial and/or recreational river herring fishery. Fisheries without such plans will be required to close by January 1, 2012."

It reads that it will only close if no plan is in place ...... i have no idea what that means but i have been (and am) concerned that we won't be able to use herring as bait. This refers to an entity other than NYS so we still have NYS to worry about and there were rumors of a closure last year and further rumors of a closure this year....that would really suck!

I specifically didn't buy my "saltwater" license or whatever NY is calling it because wouldn't it just add insult to injury when we pony up and buy the new license in the fall then find out that they put a law in place in March saying we can't use herring......i could see that happening.

That brings up a whole new subject.......how to catch stripers in the river without using herring..........diamond jigs, trolling plugs, other live bait etc would all work.
    Jump to: