Liquid Lace

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/27 15:53:09 (permalink)

Liquid Lace

While at the Fly Tying Symposium the other weekend held in Somerset, NJ, I stopped by a booth that was giving a demo on Liquid Lace. Now I'm not sure if it's any better than the hollow larva lace that you can get but the thing with this is that you fill the hollow core with baby oil. They sell their lacing material under the name of liquid lace but I don't see why you cannot use any hollow core lacing material. You fill it by using a syringe and needle that you can get at any drug store. It does seem to have a better transulcency to it. Anyway, I tried using it today in prep of the coming weekend on the tribs. (For some reason I never have enough flies). I'm always a sucker for something different when it comes to tying. Anyway - here's a tute on how to use it if you've never tried it.

1. The material and syringe

2. You insert the needle into the end of the lace and fill the entire length of it till it comes out the other end. Tie a knot on both ends so it doesn't leak out.

3. Start your thread on any caddis style hook.

4. Tie in the lacing material that's already filled with baby oil.

5. Wrap the lace tightly back towards the hook bend, follow with your thread and tie off the lacing.

6. Tie in a piece of tinsel that will give off a bit of flash under the liquid lace. Bring your thread to the starting point then wrap the tinsel  forward and tie off.

7. Wrap the lace forward in even wraps and tie off. Use just enough tension being careful not to flatten the lace. When you cut the lace free - you must tie another knot in the end so the oil doesn't leak out.

8. Dub for the head - here I Used a dubbing loop with ice dub.

9. Tie in a soft hackle, wrap it, and whip finish. 

** You can use it for any type of body. Here's a spey tied with the lace over a body of tinsel. 

post edited by steely34 - 2009/11/27 15:56:07

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

1 Reply Related Threads

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Liquid Lace 2009/11/27 16:14:26 (permalink)
    Looks pretty cool.  Have to get some of that material.
    Jump to: