Lawson Lake (Albany County)???

Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/20 09:58:19 (permalink)

Lawson Lake (Albany County)???

Well the other day I was taking a drive after work up towards the Helderbergs and stumbled across a public parking lot and informational kisk for Lawson Lake.

The sign says it is owned by Albany County and is open to the public for fishing, ICE FISHING, birdwatching, etc. from dawn to dusk.  It also says small carry-in canoes and kayaks are welcome.

Anyone ever fish this place?  It is even close then Thompsons and Myosotis, but I have never heard a thing about it.  It is just up the hill a ways from the Alcove Reservoir near Westerlo.

I can't help but think at least one of you guys has been out there and fished it, and it's either a goldmine or a lost cause.  Any input?  Any pike?

5 Replies Related Threads

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Lawson Lake (Albany County)??? 2009/11/20 10:03:49 (permalink)
    Yep, ice fished it with my old man a few times about 15 years ago. We caught tons of small panfish, but the water was very dirty, and none of the locals my dad knows would ever keep fish out of there (don't know why) so we never went back.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Lawson Lake (Albany County)??? 2009/11/20 11:07:20 (permalink)
    Know that place well Jimmy, lots of panfish ... mostly on the smaller side, but some keepers in there.
    I have had my boat in there a few times. Some ok bass for that little place. Haven't been there for a few years but try to hit it once during ice season every year.

You can drive around back by the camp when the gate is open, but you can access it any time from the steep hill side off of the parking spot on Lawason Lake road.

BB

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Lawson Lake (Albany County)??? 2009/11/20 11:14:48 (permalink)
    I knew you dudes has probably already swiss-cheesed that little lake at least once or twice.

Glad to hear I wasn't missing out on another secret local pike haven.... 

Sounds sort of like Myosotis, and I don't see myself racing back there anytime too soon.

Looks like Thomspons Lake is still "king of the mountain" in terms of diversity and biomass on the Heldergberg.

Thanks for the info, Gents!!!
    got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Lawson Lake (Albany County)??? 2009/11/20 23:31:35 (permalink)
    yeah what brian said,lots of small pannies.pickreal,lmb..good place to take the kids...to waste the day...stick with thompsons..or warners...def no pike..I go there every year as it seems to ice up pretty early...
    kjo43
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Lawson Lake (Albany County)??? 2009/11/22 19:11:13 (permalink)
    I was there today doing a little paddling

I brought the pole too... There's a few smaller fins around.

post edited by kjo43 - 2009/11/22 19:12:33
    Jump to: