Parachutes

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/19 20:58:45 (permalink)

Parachutes

Some recent discussion on tying parachute style dry flies caused me to remember one of my most memorable times fishing. I was just finishing up for the day at Falling Springs in Carlisle. As I was packing my gear in the truck, a car pulled up and parked beside me. A gentleman who I would guess to be in his 70's got out and asked me how I made out. As I was telling him that although I had no takers and that just the experience of fishing this spring creek is always rewarding, I saw this sign on his back window that said "Flies for Sale". The conversation turned to tying dry flies and he opened up his trunk where there were 4 large tupperware storage containers filled with Plano storage boxes stuffed with flies. He pulled one out that contained parachutes in sizes from 12's to 26's. All of these flies, including the 'chutes  - he tied himself - something he's done his entire life. He also told me stories of fishing with the legends Charlie Fox and Vince Marinaro. It was amazing. Then he got out this tackle box, a small folding table, and a chair. Opened his box and set up his tying equipment on the table and proceeded to show me how he always ties his 'chutes. Ever since then, I've followed his lesson. It was one that although the technique isn't anything special - the experience of watching this gentle man, who's arthritic hands trembled when we first shook hands----what was truly special to see was just how steady they were when he cradled the bobbin and started the wraps. Here's what he showed me that fine and very memorable day:

1. Start the thread and tie in the tailing material:

2.  Move the thread forward and tie in your material for the post. Here i'm using CDC.

3. Pull these fibers back and wrap the thead around the material and up creating the post.

4. Prepare the hackle by stripping the barbs slightly more on one side than the other:

5. Tie in the hackle in front of the post.

6. Continue tying the hackle in by wrapping it with thread up the post.

7. Dub the body, stopping just in front of the post.

8. Wrap the hackle down the post, never crossing the wraps. (One under the other)

9. At this point, instead of tying the hackle off on the hook shank, take three or four wraps on top of the unwrapped hackle stem and around the post close to the hook shank.  This will lock the hackle in securely. Never had one come apart. Finish the wrap in front of the post. Clip off the hackle stem.

10. Clip off the CDC post to length.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

2 Replies Related Threads

tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: Parachutes 2009/11/19 21:13:37 (permalink)
    Great post steely, tying the hackle up the post seems easier than the way I did it I'll have to try it thanks

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Parachutes 2009/11/19 21:34:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing! Great story as well
    Jump to: