Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/13 10:11:39 (permalink)

Ammunition Prices

Since I have a couple of odd ball calibers, whenever I am in sporting goods stores around this time of year, I look to see if they have any in inventory.  Its not that I really need any, but rather, I can usually get some good pricing when the store only has a box or two, especially if it is old stock, and they either mark it down to clear the space or it has the same price it did a few years ago.

The other day I was in a big box outdoor store while my wife was looking for that one piece of clothing that she doesn't have, and I came across two calibers that I have.  The pricing, wow!!!!

The 240 Weatherby's were 59.99 a box and the 257 Weatherby's were, get this, 99.99 a box.  That's right, a subway foot long everytime you squeeze the trigger.  That is just nuts.

I went home and did find some slightly better pricing online and ordered several boxes of each because I figured the pricing isn't coming down.  For what i paid for 3 boxes of each, I could have bought a 30-06.  Not the ammunition, the rifle.

I used to reload when I shot a lot, but since I don't shoot that much anymore, its not worth buying the dies (especially these ones), the poweder, the bullets, the primers, the shell holders, the trimmer pilots, etc, for most of it to sit.

I did some rifle shooting yesterday and between the four I practiced with, I probably expended $200 or more in ammunition.

And it doesn't seem to stop with the wierd rifle calibers either.  For pheasants, I previously loved the Winchester Double Express.  In 20 gauge, in 2 3/4" no less, I was able to get 1 1/8 of shot, the same as a 12 gauge.  With copper plated 7 1/2's I was good for pheasants because they shot right through them and was also good for grouse, chukars, quail, and woodcock because they didn't get blown up with big shot.  The 1 1/8 of shot out of the smaller bore gives a nice longshot string, so lead is not as much of a factor.

Of course, Winchester quit making them in 7 1/2, so I bought a case in 6's.  They were, even at case pricing, $1 per shot.  And it has influenced my hunting.  Now when some nervous pheasant comes off the ground well ahead of the point, say at 30 yards or greater, I don't even close the gun, but watch where the bird goes and then go get it with the dogs again.  In the past, if it was 50 yards and in, I let it know that I saw it.  It hasn't changed the number of birds in the bag because the pointers usually find them again, but is has cut down on the number of shots fired.

Is there any real reason for the pricing being so crazy?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

34 Replies Related Threads

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/13 10:17:57 (permalink)

My guess is commodity prices. The price of metals shot through the roof in the last few years with increased demand from China, India, etc... The other thing was increased demand for ammo when Obama was elected. Gun and ammo sales have gone way up in anticpation of a gun grab or huge tax increases...
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/11/13 10:25:02

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/13 20:16:03 (permalink)
    Was at the store today and thought the same thing.  The remington long range express for the 12g was 29.00.  I guess it is time to reload agian.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/13 20:22:40 (permalink)
    If you think the price is bad....  check out the availability..

We have 1/2 the ammo going into deer season this year in the store as we usually carry.

When we made the order a few weeks ago we were told out of stock or up to a 2 year waiting list on some of the ammo..

UNBELIEVABLE....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/11/13 20:23:17
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/13 20:29:19 (permalink)
    I am trying not to buy any new calibers
    204, 454 and 338 were expensive to feed until I had enough brass.
    I stocked up on 22, 22M, 17HMR, 223, 22-250, 308, 7.32x39, 30-06, 44, 357, 45 auto/long colt and 12ga a few years ago

I even sold a few thousand of the 223, 308, and 7.32x39 recently for a nice profit.
    If the price goes up again I may sell a few thousand more

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/13 21:46:55 (permalink)
    .257 Roberts is double what it was 4 years ago.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/14 23:25:12 (permalink)
    Even common calibers have gone way up. Look at ought six and thirty thirty. I think it's time to figure out how much more I'm going to shoot in my life and try to buy all the ammo I need. It is seriously gonna become an investment.
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/15 13:09:17 (permalink)
    This is what the administration is going to do to put the gun companies out of business.  If you can't afford the ammo you are not going to buy the gun.  There have been some ideas to put individual serial numbers on individual bullets this will put the ammo makers out of business immediately. 

So to those who voted for Obama....How is it working out for you?
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/15 15:02:42 (permalink)
    that is complete horsecrap.

why do people always blame politicians?

SUPPLY AND DEMAND RULE THE WORLD
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/15 15:38:22 (permalink)
    Yes you are right...Politicians make no difference to the prices of guns or ammo.  Simple supply/demand.

1 year ago I could have bought an sks for 199 at gander mountain and they would generally have only 1-2 in stock.  Now they are 550 and they have well over a dozen at all times.

Supply is up and so are prices...hmmm not adding up economically.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/15 16:03:17 (permalink)
    Some people want to keep their head in the sand. Every politician is a bum , except the ones I vote for!!Open your eyes, throw them all out , it can't be worse. We voted for change but we only changed one man,not nearly enough! The threat is there because of our choices, not supply and demand.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/16 08:42:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

My guess is commodity prices. The price of metals shot through the roof in the last few years with increased demand from China, India, etc... The other thing was increased demand for ammo when Obama was elected. Gun and ammo sales have gone way up in anticpation of a gun grab or huge tax increases...

Good thoughts Cowboy.

In my previous employment, the company I worked for made electronic connectors, so we tracked the prices of copper, bronze, brass, gold, nickel, platinum, etc, hourly.  Prices on a $15 connector are quotes out to 5 decimal places and contracts were often won and lost on the last digit.  Metal prices did have an influence, but not as much as one would think.

Raw materials for components comprised only 16% of the cost of our goos and metal was a healthy portion of that.

I would tend, once you got me thinking, to lean toward, especially for these odd calibers, that competing for assembly line time with more popular calibers as the demand (for whatever reason) for those goes through the roof, is driving them so high.

To support that theory, I point to the 240 Weatherby vs. the 243 that my wife shoots.  The ammunition that I buy for both is a 90 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, so the bullet price is constant.  Obviously I don't know what powder the manufacturers are using, but when I loaded both, I used IMR 4350.  While I don't recall the exact recipe, the amount of powder for the 240 isn't double that of the 243.  The case pricing is higher for the 240.  Yet I bought the 243's for $28 and the 240's were $60.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/16 10:56:05 (permalink)
    "This is what the administration is going to do to put the gun companies out of business."

More like what the "gun companies" are doing to you. They are using/perpetuating your "fear" of Obama ( with lots of help from the NRA ), to drive sales. Increasing demand, AND prices. THe weapons, ans ammo manufacturers love Obama ( or at least how they can play him against you ) more sales, at higher prices.

Actually, prices were rising before Obama. The demands of two wars, put pressure on the supply of materials, and manufacturing capacity.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 07:37:38 (permalink)
    So what your saying is you voted for Obama and now you are trying to rationalize it?  Its ok, you got duped, just admit it.
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 08:47:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rpgyard

So what your saying is you voted for Obama and now you are trying to rationalize it?  Its ok, you got duped, just admit it.

This belongs on a hunting forum? Seriously, I get enough of the red versus blue at work, I don't need it in my Internets too ;-)
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 09:31:35 (permalink)
    FOXNews.com - Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan Hit Home With Ammunition Shortage for Police Departments - Local News | News Articles...

i am sure that (insert whatever leftest media outlet you wish here) would report the same thing.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 11:35:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rpgyard

This is what the administration is going to do to put the gun companies out of business.  If you can't afford the ammo you are not going to buy the gun.  There have been some ideas to put individual serial numbers on individual bullets this will put the ammo makers out of business immediately. 

So to those who voted for Obama....How is it working out for you?

WOW... Just Wow

In the words of Ron White "You can't fix Stoopid"
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 21:04:53 (permalink)
    Dude, You have absolutely no clue do you. You seem to be real good at spreading internet hoaxes and false propoganda. You really try to specialize in fear mongering. Next time, I would suggest that you do some actual research (perhaps looking into the stock market, retail sales, and the current worldwide demand including demand and contracts from the U.S. Military- might be a good starting point in this discussion). You base your Opinions on columns or blogs that would be better suited to a Jerry Springer show. The ironic thing is I am conservative, but right wing whack jobs like you sometimes make me wonder why.

Now, go get out your confederate flag, put on something white and run around in the night with a lit torch, you will feel better. Don't forget to load your weapon before you go to bed, because you never know when that man might come for you and your guns...
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 21:13:53 (permalink)
    Griffon,

Ammunition coding is far from a "right wing" conspiracy theory.  The legislation was introduced in 18 states last year.  I believe that several more states are considering / have considered it this year. 

Here is the link to the PA version of the bill:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/BillInfo.cfm?syear=2007&sind=0&body=H&type=B&bn=2228

post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/11/17 21:22:17

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/17 21:29:19 (permalink)
    Cowboy, that is understood and you are correct. However the initial proposal was made several years ago and shelved. It never had anything to do with the current administration that is in office.

It sounds from your previous posts that you understand exactly what the issues are regarding this topic, so the following is not aimed at you in any way.

The increased sales in ammunition and weapons, undoubtedly had to do with widespread fear of what "was going to happen" if our current president was elected". The increased demand (approximately 500% nationwide through the 2nd fiscal half of last year and the first fiscal half of this year) was also caused by extreme usage by our military and other militaries that we supply. Brass, Lead, and Powder prices jumped through the roof as demand increased(it was to the point that you were not allowed by most major retailers to purchase more than one case of ammo per visit). Manufacturers and retailers had their best years on record EVER. Not to mention that the price of petroleum had shot through the roof just before the sales shot up. This drove up the price of freight and manufacturing. The manufacturers held out for as long as they could, but had to raise prices or risk going bankrupt from lost profits. Most attention from manufacturers was focused on producing the most common caliburs 9mm, 223, 45ACP... and making fringe caliburs became extra work that required additional man hours and extra hours/stress on machines that broke often under the strain.

The point is, many things influenced the current prices. But not one of those factors has anything to do with what the current administration has done or is doing at this time.
    post edited by griffon - 2009/11/17 21:33:29
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 10:09:16 (permalink)
    "The idea is being pushed mainly by a single company that holds a patent on bullet-coding technology, so far without much success."

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/01/ammunition-accountability-act/
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 17:02:45 (permalink)
    So now I am a racist, black hating KKK member, and a confederate supporter?

Wow griffon...just wow!  Some might just call that slander.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 17:20:52 (permalink)
    Factcheck.org is run by the Annenberg Foundation. Obama chaired Annenberg before his Senate campaign. It also employs Bill Ayers.

- T. Fleming
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 17:26:27 (permalink)
    Im glad you said it Cowboy...You better watch it though or you will be joining me in the cross burning tonight.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 17:52:26 (permalink)
    You know what... So far on this board you have pretty much been a troll. When you haven't been a troll, you have proved that you know very little about anything.

As for Cowboy, at least he gets it.

As for the original topic, at least I added to it with factual information that is very easy to find.

You on the other hand hijacked the thread with fear and hate mongering and added nothing productive to the thread.
    post edited by griffon - 2009/11/18 18:41:26
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 18:21:48 (permalink)
    Take it easy guys.

Ironhed
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 18:48:44 (permalink)
    post edited by griffon - 2009/11/18 19:19:33
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 19:15:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: griffon

Hey Krott, I see you are on this forum, so I hope you reply. When you are performing your military service and happen to be at the range... If there is ammunition left over, what does the military generally do with the leftovers, and why? I know what other military members have told me first hand, but it would be good to hear it from someone that is currently in service. Griffon

I am not in the service. Sorry.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 19:20:55 (permalink)
    I apologize, my mistake. Can't say why I mistook you for someone else. Again, my apologies. Griffon
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: