moose river hunting??

Author
JustMatt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/09 21:12:27 (permalink)

moose river hunting??

I'm thinking of going to moose river plains this week. 55,000 acres of state land. I've hunted northern opening day for a couple years without much luck. Want to try a different time??? I have a truck camper with room for one other guy(two if a small guy sleeps on the floor) . Anybody interested in going. Should be a cheap trip.

3 Replies Related Threads

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: moose river hunting?? 2009/11/13 10:55:21 (permalink)
    Matt: Where are you from?  I have a friend that used to hunt in that vicinity and used to see alot more deer than I see where I hunt near Tupper Lake.  That was quite a few years ago though, so I'm not sure if there are still as many deer around with the coyotes and all. 
    JustMatt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: moose river hunting?? 2009/11/13 18:08:38 (permalink)
    Eagle crg I'm from Rexford. Just got back. Didn't have any luck. The coyotes were all over even in my campsight on wed. night. Man did they make alot of noise. But as always really enjoyed the area.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: moose river hunting?? 2009/11/14 18:54:34 (permalink)
    Matt:  Coyotes are bad news.  They take a heck of a toll on the deer herd, especially in the winter when they're yarded up.  They also take a big toll on the fawn crop each year making it even harder for the deer to recover from a winter with heavy winter kill.  I'd like to see a rabies or distemper epidemic sweep through the coyote population.  That being said, I do think they keep the buck to doe ratio more in check--I see a much higher proportion of bucks than I used to (pre coyote).  Sorry you didn't have better luck.  I'm off in the morning for 9 days of hunting bliss.  Hopefully ole mosseyhorns & I will cross paths....we'll see.
    Jump to: