alittle help

Author
MJHONKER
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/05 09:06:51 (permalink)

alittle help

I haven't fished NY in about 18 years. Is it a good time to come up now or wait a week or 2? 18mile or oak orchard? I fish steelhead in PA. I think I can catch fish just need a place to start. Will there still be salmon in 2 weeks? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Matt

7 Replies Related Threads

washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/05 16:35:23 (permalink)
    The salmon should be rapping up real soon I would imagine.  And the Browns and steel are there, and the numbers should be increasing with each day or week.  I was catching Browns and Steelhead in mid October on the Oak. Walk the Oak down away from the Dam and you will find some nice areas with fish and room to breathe.  
    I would bet the Oak is less crowded than Bert Dam now,
    Good Luck.
    Fishlady
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/05 20:23:24 (permalink)
    A few of us are headed up this weekend for a few days and plan on fishing both areas. I will report how things are when we get up there and do some fishing. I was up last Sunday for the day and there were still some salmon around, I caught one female that was still pretty fresh, not all green and moldy.
    MJHONKER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/06 08:07:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. Hope everyone does well.

Were all here for a reason. What's yours?
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/08 07:45:42 (permalink)
    Back from the Oak;   Just got back from a week at the Oak and 18 mile(Olcott). I'll be as honest as I can with any info about both areas and Johnsons too. The Oak had the least amount of Kings I have ever seen and the brown trout numbers were low also. Some browns were caught, and it seemed to be picking up at the end of my trip. I also hooked 2 Atlantic Salmon on the last day, Fri. The fish numbers at Olcott were much better, but so were the number of fisherman. Many Kings there and in fair shape for this time of year. Many Browns were caught during my two trips. Some days I would split the day between the Oak and Olcott. It's only 30 miles, so what the heck. Also stopped by Johnson's creek 2 times as I was traveling from one to the other. Full of limbs and leaves and only a few fish. My friend did hook a large female and land it ; but it was foul-hooked. So I hope my info helps any future trips for anyone. I'm hoping to make one more trip this month. Even if the numbers are down, I'll still drive six and half hours to give it a try.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/16 17:21:04 (permalink)
    Another question if I may? Is Bert dam the same as Waterport Reservoir Dam? Never been there, just looking at the map.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/16 20:08:37 (permalink)
    Fisherman's Park in Burt, NY.

the park is generally on most maps.

Costs $2 per person per day
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: alittle help 2009/11/16 20:35:30 (permalink)
    Use YANKee flies

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: