something to think about.....

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/06 13:18:29 (permalink)

something to think about.....

Yesterday, I was in a famous large chain hunting/fishing store. I am typically one to support local shops before I will shop at any large chain, but I had a gift card to this store that was given to me for Christmas. As I was waiting at the archery counter to pay for my safety harness, I was watching the store clerk, who obviously knew nothing about archery, help a customer choose a bow.

After drawing a few, the customer decided to draw one last bow before deciding on one. As he got to full draw, the bow exploded in a loud bang, with some pieces bouncing off the ceiling, floor, etc... No, the customer did not dry fire the bow, it simply flew apart in his hands. The string had broke, near the cam, in an area that should have had serving on it, but didn't. It looked like this caused wear on the string, causing a break. The clerk explained "these kinds of things happen". The poor guy who had drawn the bow, had quite a gash on his arm, and was bleeding. Needless to say, he didn't buy that bow.

It seems to me, anyone who sells and advises people should have sufficient knowledge about bows. This idiot definatley did not. I overheard him tell the customer several false statements about the bows he was trying to sell, including: "yes, this setup will shoot over 300fps", and...''No, this wisker biscuit wont damage feathers".

So, I guess to make a long story short, its always a good idea to buy your bows and get them serviced at a reputable archery shop. Otherwise, you may end up getting seriously hurt. This customer was lucky in the way he only had a small wound. Afterall, he could have lost an eye.

11 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/06 14:04:08 (permalink)
    "pay for my safety harness"

atta boy

Speakin of .. last Saturday was the first time in my life that a safety harness saved it.  I was setting up a hang on (I know 99% of hunters don't use the correct system for hang-on's, or even one at all) treestand.  I was about 17 feet up with both feet on climbing sticks, latching the treestand down and the latch ran out of rope as I tried to get the hook ends to meet.  There I hung on the rope that I use to ascend and descend the tree saved by a prusik knot.

Anyway, always support the little guys.  They know what they're talking about.  It's how the stay in business.  I don't do any shopping at larger stores for technical equipment.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/06 15:38:08 (permalink)
    You dont use a linemans belt...mr safety harness?

LOL

If that bow exploded in my hands, they would have been giving me the best bow they had, I would have made a scene.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/07 11:21:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

You dont use a linemans belt...mr safety harness?

LOL

If that bow exploded in my hands, they would have been giving me the best bow they had, I would have made a scene.

It didnt appear they offered him a discount, free bow, etc... They did hold him there and question him about his injury, then tried to sell him another bow. He did not buy, he just left.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/07 13:55:06 (permalink)

''No, this wisker biscuit wont damage feathers".

After two years, my whisker bisquit hasn't damaged my feathers.  I do more damage to them shooting more than one broadhead at a time and slicing them off! 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/07 14:23:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

''No, this wisker biscuit wont damage feathers".

After two years, my whisker bisquit hasn't damaged my feathers.  I do more damage to them shooting more than one broadhead at a time and slicing them off! 

Maybe i'm wrong about that. My only experience with a whisker biscuit has been shooting with my brother. He bought the first whisker biscuit that came out. After a week of shooting, his feathers were quite ruffled. Maybe the newer biscuits are different?
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/07 17:27:29 (permalink)
    I would have fell on the floor and start yelling
    "CALL EDGAR"
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/07 17:37:50 (permalink)
    Yes J I use a belt but not when setting up.  I'd rather hang than slam my nutz into a climbing stick.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/07 22:23:07 (permalink)
    Always recommended to get set up at a reputable archery shop!!  I go to Shooter's Showcase in Harlensburgh, PA.  They are excellent.  I do, however buy some accessories at the big places due to prices, but nobody touches my bow but myself or the guys at Shooter's.  If you yourself educate yourself about the sport, you won't buy into BS and will understand what you're getting into.  IMO hunting wild game is serious business and you want to be ethical about it.  Do not go out and get into it without knowing exactly what you're getting into.  Educate yourself by researching and asking those who you KNOW are experienced.

eyesandgills:  Are you shooting actual feathers or plastic vanes?  I know guys who tried shooting feathers from the Wisker Biscuit and have them wear out and damage quickly.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/09/07 22:27:36

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/08 00:48:51 (permalink)
    License, gloves, pocket handwarmer, flashlight batteries, -chain store.

All the real important stuff-pro shop.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/14 11:49:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Always recommended to get set up at a reputable archery shop!!  I go to Shooter's Showcase in Harlensburgh, PA.  They are excellent.  I do, however buy some accessories at the big places due to prices, but nobody touches my bow but myself or the guys at Shooter's.  If you yourself educate yourself about the sport, you won't buy into BS and will understand what you're getting into.  IMO hunting wild game is serious business and you want to be ethical about it.  Do not go out and get into it without knowing exactly what you're getting into.  Educate yourself by researching and asking those who you KNOW are experienced.

eyesandgills:  Are you shooting actual feathers or plastic vanes?  I know guys who tried shooting feathers from the Wisker Biscuit and have them wear out and damage quickly.

Feathers, not vanes.  I sprayed them with Kiwi Camp dry every year to waterproof them but I doubt that protected them from the kind of damage your buddies are seeing.  Maybe they were just good vanes, I don't know.  I got those 6 arrows from a buddy a couple years ago and they shot really well out of my bow so I used them.  I am down to 2 good ones though.  2 were broke in half after harvested deer (getting lodged in opposite shoulder and breaking on first lunge), I damaged one while practicing with broadheads and slicing it pretty good and I damaged one by missing a turkey last fall by just a little and nailing a downed tree.  So, I bought a dozen new arrows from Cabelas but these guys have vanes.
    steelyjon
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: something to think about..... 2007/09/14 22:28:19 (permalink)
    V-Max vanes are recomended for biscuits, Their a little tougher than most other vanes and feathers. However You'll still get a few small streaks on them after a few Dozen shots. I just fletched 10 arrows with them and they fly just as good if not better than any other brand I've ever tried.
    Jump to: