new license problems ---

Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/22 06:36:45 (permalink)

new license problems ---

While doing a presentation at our local club last night and answering questions our local WCO brought up two "problems" he is finding this year with the new license and I thought I would share them with you..

#1.. He is finding guys that forgot how hard it is to write on the new license and folks had pencils/pens in their hunting jacket from past years that would not write on the new ear tags...  be sure the pen you are carrying in the field will write on the ear tag if successful..

#2....  He is seeing this "a lot this year" ... because the new license is so small guys are using those "fishing license holders" to carry their license in ...  the "pin" on them is not very strong and they are getting pulled off VERY easily... be careful if using that type holder...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/10/22 06:40:26

28 Replies Related Threads

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 08:00:40 (permalink)
    Did he have any comments on the positives from the program?
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 09:55:52 (permalink)
    ...Yep, I already had to buy replacement tags.  I went back to the old holder with the horse pin. 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 11:02:02 (permalink)
    He did mention that with the same number as fishing license and everything on computer..etc
    that he can get info easier..

where it was bought, when it was bought, even what time it was bought..

he likes the fact that to some degree it is water prove..

He did WARN us NOT to let it (the license) sit in the direct sunlight...   it will turn BLACK !!!

He did mention he personally does not like the idea about not displaying the license at all (maybe next year if bill passes) He said what I said.. with not visible tag he will have to ask ever single person he sees to pull out that wallet and show him the license...  He stated that when he check folks if everything appears to be fine he does NOT always make them pull out the license etc.. he sees the license, doe tag etc and many time (if it is a group)will not ask all of them to pull out the license and ID...

He hopes that with harvest reporting being done by computer (on-line) he hopes the reporting rate increases but will hold judgement on that until he sees the results

We had a larger than usual crowd and many of the landowners had questions on trespassing and the PGC 's role in enforcing that and wanted to know their liability if they allowed someone to hunt and something happens.. can they be sued...
    Not being a lawyer he could not answer the liability question to well and suggested that we may be able to get a judge or lawyer to address the club on that point.. LOTS of concern on the liability issue and a couple folks said well --if we are not completely free from a law suit if someone shoots someone they were joining the group and posting their land this year... WOW.. just what we need around here more posted land ..

He also mentioned that just because a piece of ground is not posted that does not mean you can hunt there without permission...

One thing that almost no one knew was on state game lands safety zones are not in effect...

He spent some time explaining some of the differences between Mentored youth hunters and junior hunters...

The group was very respectful and the meeting was a long one (almost 2 hours)... questions on spotlighting, baiting, one guy want to know if he could pick leeks on SGL (NO)...Flo orange questions... and many more..

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 11:40:14 (permalink)
    Note on the new license.....they don't fit snugly into the old license holders...and can easily fall out of the holder. My buddy lost two, now its glued shut.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 15:47:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Note on the new license.....they don't fit snugly into the old license holders...and can easily fall out of the holder. My buddy lost two, now its glued shut.

Had the same issue.. not only don't they fit snugly but they're also somewhat "plasticy" and tend to slide easily across the plastic window in the license holder...

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 19:07:33 (permalink)
    Wallet size = in the wallet.

Just saying.

Having used the new tags, I will say this though.  A writing utensil pressed hard enough will still leave an indent even if the ink/pencil washes away.  Use a tree to press against, but by all means don't lean your gun up on it.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 19:14:30 (permalink)
    Claypool, I understand what you are saying, but would not recommend it to anyone. Find the wrong officer and that will be a ticket no questions asked. Happened to a bud of mine in our goose blind two years ago. He had it in his backpack and produced it immediately. Didn't matter and resulted in a real quick fine.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 19:36:17 (permalink)
    Claypool, I understand what you are saying, but would not recommend it to anyone. Find the wrong officer and that will be a ticket no questions asked. Happened to a bud of mine in our goose blind two years ago. He had it in his backpack and produced it immediately. Didn't matter and resulted in a real quick fine.

No dude, you got me wrong.  I follow the law, just don't agree with it.  Just saying that it's logical for a wallet sized license to slide right in to your wallet.  I would expect just about any WCO to issue a warning minimum and that's if he's in a good mood.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 19:43:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: griffon

Could you imagine if ALL pa. law enforcement enforced to the letter of the law? Just think, getting ticketed for 66 in a 65, or getting ticket for not coming to a complete (one potato, two potato) stop making a right on red? Man- Pa. would be able lower our state income tax rate!!

Does anyone know how much fine revenue generated by the PGC goes to the PGC?
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 19:45:22 (permalink)
    Clay, it wasn't meant to be an indictment (I agree with you, just wouldn't suggest somebody do that). Actually, had I done that I would have my original license from this year. Instead, mine is somewhere in a 50 acre golden rod field. I am not sure the PGC thought this one through completely before they went to the new format.
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/22 22:30:48 (permalink)
    yea they have only been toying with the new computor deal for 4 or 5 years I'm sure another 8 or 9 years might give them enough time for it to run smooth
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/23 06:41:25 (permalink)
    Point made bubbaman. I would bet however that not one of the people involved with the programming and design function of the program ever put one of these on their back with a fishing license holder, then proceded to carry in a climbing stand or drag out a deer using a harness. I chalk losing my license up to my own stupidity and noone else is to blame. But, as Doc mentioned... even the game commisioners are beginning to find out that this may not be the best solution for displaying a license (even though the PGC used the clause "so small you can put it in a fishing license holder" as one of the selling points of the new program.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/23 09:13:48 (permalink)
    can you get your hunting license online like a fishing license... and just print it out at home, because then you could make as many copies as you want without having to pay the replacement fee.
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/23 09:18:18 (permalink)
    Yes you can purchase them online, but you can not print them.  They send them to you in the mail.  However, I don't see why you could not copy them with a copier to have a back up in case you lose it, but I have a feeling you would still be asked to buy a replacement if a game officer approached you.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/23 14:12:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

ORIGINAL: griffon

Could you imagine if ALL pa. law enforcement enforced to the letter of the law? Just think, getting ticketed for 66 in a 65, or getting ticket for not coming to a complete (one potato, two potato) stop making a right on red? Man- Pa. would be able lower our state income tax rate!!

Does anyone know how much fine revenue generated by the PGC goes to the PGC?

Blow...just so you know, they are still holding to the letter of the law as far as speeding goes.  Using radar state boys can't nail you unless you are doing more than 5 mph over the limit (and most seem to give you up to 9 mph over on the interstates and limited access highways unless it is a construction zone) and local boys using vascar or other timing devices can't nail you unless you are doing at least 10 mph over the limit unless you are in a school zone or construction zone.  It is actually written into the PA statutes that way. 

As far as the license goes, I believe the intent is to switch over to the "no display" eventually when the law gets passed but for now, it still has to be displayed.  I don't mind much either way.  Was kind of nice down in Texas not having to display the fishing license and their hunting license is the same way.  But then again, tresspassing and poaching aren't looked upon too kindly down there and you'll find yourseld locked up in the pokey (lucky) or shot by the landowner if you get caught. 
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/23 16:32:01 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz, thats good info.
    I was looking for the legislation at http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/session.cfm and nothing came up.

I look forward to the day I can stick the thing in my wallet. Oh the hours I've spent looking for that thing over the years.....
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/23 23:01:52 (permalink)
    I usualy just put a piece of duct tape over the opening so that you can open it & then reclose it if you need to.Been doing that for years,also I put the license in a clear baggie before putting it in the holder cause It keeps it waterproof. If you want to use a fishing license holder, just replace that pin with the old one from your old style holder.  sam
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/28 08:26:10 (permalink)
    I didn't really think of doing that crappie, I have never had any problems on the past.  However this year I lost the new license, which is quite a bit smaller, out of my holder.  I had to replace the tags, and i bought a new holdeer that snaps shut.  
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/28 12:35:41 (permalink)
    Have you noticed the line you have to fill out on the doe tags about what WMU you killed the deer in? It's right below where the WMU is printed on the license. Wonder how many will write in a different WMU number than the license if for?
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/28 15:51:20 (permalink)
    hahaha, deer really killed in 2b... deer reported killed in 3d
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/28 16:25:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

As if that doesn't happen enough already with the bucks.

I hear storis like this all the time from 2B---> "Man I swear he had 4 points on a side when I shot, oh well I will just tag him for up camp"

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/28 17:55:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

As if that doesn't happen enough already with the bucks.

I hear storis like this all the time from 2B---> "Man I swear he had 4 points on a side when I shot, oh well I will just tag him for up camp"

There are alot of scumbags in our area that do that same Esox.  And you and I are in the same area, and, know some of the same people.

Ironhed
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/28 18:37:04 (permalink)
    I would be willing to bet if I dropped a handful of names (which I won't) you would know the exact scums and their common infractions they are famous for. There isn't much anyone can do unless they would catch one of these guys in the act, here-say will never be prosecuted.

On another topic Ironhed, I can remember you spinning hundreds of flies in the back room of my favorite local shop. Do you still do any work for them down there? I also run into some of your fishing buddies from time to time. Although I am not sure I would admit to them being my friends.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/10/29 10:03:42 (permalink)
    Well, last winter I tied 304 dozen for them.  I'll probably do the same this winter...after hunting season is over.
    LOL, some of those "buddies" are real goons, too.

Ironhed
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/11/02 09:32:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

eyesandgillz, thats good info.
    I was looking for the legislation at http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/session.cfm and nothing came up.

I look forward to the day I can stick the thing in my wallet. Oh the hours I've spent looking for that thing over the years.....

Found it.

Now then, can someone translate?

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0460&pn=0504

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/11/22 18:41:12 (permalink)
    I hate how small they are i lost one earlier this year just fell right out of my holder and i had no clue..... they need to change the law about putting it on your back we should carry them in our wallets
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/11/23 04:44:08 (permalink)
    Blaze Just put a piece of duct tape on the over flap and you'll be fine!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as i got my license put in the holder i have had for like 20/30 years. Seen it was a little lose and thought to myself ( self better put a peice of tape on that) Have  not a single problem and I have hepled a friend look for a deer and of coarse it had to go in the NASTY bush never pulled off like some people have had. But then again you have look at the fishing license holder and think this can not with stand brush and red rose bushes or my climber stand can you???????????

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: new license problems --- 2009/11/23 16:05:15 (permalink)
    I actually used safety pins to keep it from falling out its working so far ive been going through brush pushing bears havnt had a problem yet
    Jump to: