Question for Pinners

Author
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/19 18:42:50 (permalink)

Question for Pinners

Now I am starting this by saying pinners don't take offense to this, but I have a question that my friend and I were debating the other day and neither of us are pinners.

So basically why centerpin fish? I understand long drag free drifts and that stuff, but what is the real difference between that and spin fishing? Can't you just use a spinning setup and leave the bail open and get the same results? I guess that is the real question.

I have been fly fishing for a long time and when I lived in the catskills I saw guys who were deadly with spinning rods who fished just like pinners do, so honestly I am looking for the advantages of pinning.

It seems like, and I may be wrong, but if you get a drag free drift with a spinning setup by leaving the bail open, there is no real adavantage to pinning vs. a spinning rod.

Just looking to settle a debate my friend and I were having not trying to ruffle any feathers.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
Charles Haas

12 Replies Related Threads

mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 19:05:23 (permalink)
    You are right,a person with a spinning reel can be just as deadly,BUT,try and slow your drift down,actually control where and how fast the float moves,start and stop you drift,and have a split second hook set.It is not all  about long drifts,do I do it sometimes,yes,is it effective,yes,is it the proper way to fish it effectively,no.Rig up a spinning reel and float,stand beside a guy who is good with a centerpin, you will see the difference,I have not seen any other way to more effictively fish a stretch of water than with the pin.NO worries, no feathers ruffeled,and if you ever want to play with a Steelhead Assault Weapon,any of us will gladly put it in you hands,and you will see the difference.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 19:17:31 (permalink)
    After this weekend, I now understand why the swing hates pinners so much.  Wait for the flows or wait your turn if you wanna fish crowded water.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 19:29:39 (permalink)
    i have officially lost count of how many different dudes get on the pin forum and proclaim that opening the bail of a spin reel is the same as a pin.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 19:30:50 (permalink)
    I agree 100 percent with mxdad66. If you want to give it a try we're more then willing to help out.
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 19:37:10 (permalink)
    good info MX, jim thanks for a useless comment, was on a catskill stream the other week and saw a guy pinning with wax worms, and my friend and I were talking, we talked to the guy who was pinning and he told us about his setup.

The setup seemed offly expensive to me for something that looked like it could be easily accomplished with a spinning rod.

As for swinging a fly I do like to, don't go anywhere near lake ontario until the salmon are done and stick to the less popular streams, myabe less fish, but we can fish however and almost where ever we want. I would never go anywhere where I would have to wait my turn.

MX or someone else, my opinion, I think you could control your drift fine with an open bail and your hand on the line with a spinning rod, again I may be wrong, I think I understand pinning but I've only seen it 3 times, and to show I am not hating on pinners I am also curious how easy it would be to convert a fly rod, if it can be done.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 20:06:57 (permalink)
    Not a flyrod, use a noodle rod.The only way you will understand how it works is to put one in your hand.I did the Salmon and Oswego with a spinning reel and float set up just like with the pin,till i saw a guy using a pin on Oswego.I was hooked on what could be done with it and how well you can control your drift,i bought one that afternoon.I have not touched a spinning reel since,as far as float fishing goes.I know those less popular streams and they are not so less popular anymore,but still plenty of fish and a good time.Check out flyandfloatfishing.com,watch the videos,they will give you a good understanding of the mechanics of pin fishing.
       Jim,how many times do you thing a flyguy or a spin guy and centerpin idiots has came and stood in front of me,because all the fish in the river are in front of me,because i'm catching one every couple of minutes.how someone is fishing,in respect to the people around him,has no bearing on what gear he is using,it is the****--- using it.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 20:12:28 (permalink)
    ever notice when your spin reel is opened up it seems to bounce when releasing line in an unsmooth manner?  This does affect your drift.   

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 20:37:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dru2112

i have officially lost count of how many different dudes get on the pin forum and proclaim that opening the bail of a spin reel is the same as a pin.

You can just open the bail and it be the same. But...........  you wont be as cool or be excepted by all the cool guys.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 20:51:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: swinger

You can just open the bail and it be the same. But...........  you wont be as cool or be excepted by all the cool guys.

i wrote the book on cool, you should check it out (might learn something)
    you can pick it up at walden books.
    look for author, andrew.

also....dude, it's accepted
    post edited by dru2112 - 2009/10/19 20:52:44
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 21:23:49 (permalink)

also....dude, it's accepted

I know, awsome isnt it.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 22:05:14 (permalink)
    don't have time for a back and forth tonight swing.  i'm in a real slobberknocker fantasy matchup this week and i got rivers going tonight.
    i still normally would but i'm fighting for playoff position....you can understand that.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for Pinners 2009/10/19 22:18:06 (permalink)
    Nice

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Jump to: