My 1st trip to the SR ...

Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/17 20:22:06 (permalink)

My 1st trip to the SR ...

Well i made my virgin trip today out to the Salmon River with a few friends and here is my story  

Left my house @ 2:30am and got home @ 6:30pm

We were the 1st one's on this sweet little section waiting for the sun to come up. By the time we started casting we were joined by a few other guys, not a big deal we all had plenty of room fishing on the same side of the river. In the 1st hour of light there had to be 30+ people plus a few drift boats that went through and one that anchored just down from us. I couldn't believe it , it's like they were waiting in the trees , they came from every direction !! It still wasn't to bad until guys now lined the opposite shore that we were casting to, it was not a very wide part.  Pretty lame if you ask me.

But we got our time in at that location, watched a few guys snag some Salmon so we moved and found less congested water. Definately lots of sweet looking places out there. It was comfortable all day, never needed gloves or winter hat.

We tried egg sacs weighted , under floats , flies .... nothing even took a sniff at them.
I personally went 0-0 the entired day !!! Not even an unintentional Salmon.  
The other 2 boys did not land a fish either .... it was a long day for us out there.

We saw a number of Salmon taken and even a few Steelies tied off (not that many though)

I still had a very fun day with the boys, road trips are always fun and full of laughs, and a bad day fishing ALWAYS trumps a day at work  and i will try it again.

**People use that place as a dump !! WTF !?!?!?! It was really sad, i can't tell you how much trash, mostly line and empties i saw laying near and in the water. I balled up a lot of other peoples line and stuffed it in my vest  !!!! People really really suck !!!

I had to laugh when i saw guys using gear heavier than my Striper set ups for "catching salmon"  LOL

Here are some things i take away from my 1st trip out there ...
-I saw more NJ,Mass,VT plates than Ny'ers
-Every inch of that river gets pounded
-Everybody we encountered seemed decent anyway
-I don't plan on going there on a weekend again
-The one day trip ... really not that bad, the drive is easy IMO
-The Salmon hatchery is VERY very cool to see !
-Don't trust your buddy when he says he has a "secret parking spot" LOL
-That whole town is there and in bussiness due to that river
-I thought the drift boats were cool
-I had to laugh at the way people just dragged thier catches everywhere, dirt, mud, pavement
-Those Salmon really go air borne when hooked, pretty cool

I was just a little bummed about not even getting the feel of ANY of those fish on the othere end of my rod.

So they may have got the better of me this trip but i'll be fine   

Guess i'll have another beer now.

BB

11 Replies Related Threads

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 07:12:34 (permalink)
    Good report BB, and yah thats the salmon river. I love to get up there whenever I can, but don't like going up when the salmon are running. People are always nice when you talk to them, it's just that there fishing practices can get ridiculous when those salmon are in. The garbage you see makes you want to just smack a few people and say WTF.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 09:27:12 (permalink)
    lol BB,so you and a few fellas did what we call a "suicide run" now you know why the term is fitting along the SR. I been there too bro, with a few friends many years in between. That is why I would not make such a far away destination alone (at least one fishing buddy to share the ride). It really blows when you stay overnight to only get skunked again watching others hook a few as I did a few times. The truth is those regulars know every hole that needs expert presentation. Did you notice those that hooked or landed fish were regulars? They know where to fish,how to rig and what colors patterns,etc., alot of those fish are spooked enough where a stealthy presentation ..light leaders, small hooks are a must to drift in those tight holes. And as you mentioned, it adds to the frustration when many start popping out from behind trees waiting to take turns cast drifting through the same hole! What's even more a bj is when someone who steps right in along side you and almost immediately hooks up with a screamer!But that is when you start asking AlOT of questions! lol just not so many at once or he might ignore you..lol ..I try not to chase the pros away because you can learn alot to increase you odds for that day. But like you, I rather have more room when i go fishing.. after the salmon runs it gets quieter. Wading for Steelies can be fun if I can make it up this year. Good honest reporting Bro, better luck next time if you go again!
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/10/18 09:54:58

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 09:57:39 (permalink)
    Brian, glad had a good trip even though no fish. It can get pretty crazy out there on the weekends and it all happens in a blink of an eye. Last year a buddy and me were fishing just up from Sportsman Hole, was a handful of guys around us and them in a blink of an eye there were 50. I don't mind fishing around people but you get the guys that have no clue what they are doing. Running up and down chasing fish, crossing people lines, crazy is definitely the word for it. I really have to give it to the good nature of the people that there isn't a daily riot. Well heading out there tomorrow. Hopefully the crowds are down for the midweek session. Wish us luck.
                      Tight Lines...Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 13:30:21 (permalink)
    That was a great report BB! I give you major points for goin out an givin it the ole "one two" brother. I have to agree with you though on the litter ESPECIALLY those fisherman that trash the very place they fish. I have no patients for any who leave there trash, but for a hunter or fisherman to do it is almost sacrilege to me. I wont even leave my cig/butts, I ball em up and put them in my pocket, (drives my wife nuts when she goes to wash) but I just cant see tossing even them in the water or on the bank. Cuodos on taking some fishin line back out BB.  
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/10/18 13:31:30

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 18:01:42 (permalink)
    Aw man, Brian...  What a bummer...

I was really hoping to hear some whopper stories, and half-expected you to proclaim "Screw Stripers- I like Steelhead!" once you got back from Pulaski.  Maybe we can drag you back up there next month when RJ and I go on a tear for Chromers.  We'll find you some waders and you can use my noodle rod and floats, RJ and I can bomb flies.  I'd love to be there to see your face the first time you realize what you've got on the line.

I got my first true Steelie out on the Nucksack River in Washington state back in 2002 on my return from Denali.  But in my mind it fought no harder than a standard 27" rainbow.  Tough fish, but not crazy.

I think I made up a few new curse words the first time a Salmon River Steelie basically spooled me at the Trestle Pool a few years ago.  It took me nearly three seasons to finally get one in hand- how embarrasing.  I always had some sort of calamity ensue the few times I could get lucky and get one to whack an egg-sucking leech.

A lot of that changed after hanging out with Hot Tuna a few times out there.  While my memory may be a bit foggy from a few of those trips, they were a true epiphany showing me how crazy those fish really are.

Trust me, an outing with RJ up there is like recieving a college degree in fishing.  I thought I knew what I was doing until I went out there with him.  My only advice?  Say "no" if he asks you to go on a zero degree morning in February.  It just ain't worth losing your fingers to frostbite, ha! 

Just kidding Tuna.  You know I loved every minute of it, and I hope we cross paths with Dan again sometime this Fall for another few days on the river once all those **** salmon have died and rotted away.

My observations of Pulaski?  The litter sucks.  Most of the people suck.  Most of the shops sell people absolute CRAP for ridiculous prices (you should have seen the gear a shop sold some guys next to us a few weekends ago- what a friggin' scam), and once the snow flies the whole Tug Hill can be almost uninhabitable unless you really happen to love snowmobiles and huge winds with no scenery.

But I'd also be the first to admit that the **** river is one of the most insanely productive fisheries I have ever experienced.  Alaska, Oregon and Washington State included.  Even the guys on the Rogue River were asking me about the Lake Ontario tribs when I was out there.  It is known nationwide- thus, the massive crowds.

got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 21:20:51 (permalink)
    beats green island hands down...people up the ars..fishin...come on...ya seen people still snaggin..liftin..lol...never end ...PIGS...THERE EVERYWHERE.....outa staters our own residence people....not good...salmon...I like perch...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 21:54:11 (permalink)
    BB, you seem to have come away with a pretty positive attitude, good for you. The SR is the most abused fishery in NY and really it should not be that way. I mean there are plenty of ECO's esp. during salmon season to lets say take care of things. All the blame is from (rightly so) the PIG so called fishers that go there but really if the ECO's would put just a little effort in their job (besides asking to see my license 3 times in 1 day from the same rookie) the place should be a first class fishery. Well enough rant...
    As for the fishing:
    It is a tough place to master, most ppl just plain get lucky and hey that’s ok but you and I know that skill plays a big part in success.
    With the amount of pressure there skill will out rule luck always. There are no secret spots there, yes every inch of that river is known but knowing where & when to fish certain places is the key. They are migratory fish with winter steelhead being the only holding fish.
    To know the holding and moving areas is what you must learn to be successful. One may stand 5' either side of a holding area and not have success, it can be that critical at times.
    So if you get the chance a "good" drift boat trip will teach you a lot.
    You are more then welcome to join me on the river anytime and I have any gear you may need to use, I'll set you up right.
    I plan on fishing there Oct-30 & 31 then again Nov-11 >14th.
    Those day trips are tough for me and I prefer the lodge gigs but If your drivin I'll go anytime any day.

Wisdom:
    hope you aren’t looking for moldy salmon... yuck !! Think trout !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    HudsonRiverRat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/18 23:10:33 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the lack of fish B.Should of went crappie fishing with me.They were biting really good.

Mikey
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/19 08:22:20 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the lack of fish B.Should of went crappie fishing with me.They were biting really good.

Those crappies are fun ... hope you got my text about not be able to make it ?!?!

BB

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/19 10:49:15 (permalink)
    Well I took Bri to the "secluded" stretch where trout brook dumps in. Caught many a steelhead there from drift boats and shore, but it just wasn't to be Saturday. We fished the nice gravel bar there, and had we been lifting salmon, we would've pummled them, I was bumping fish almost every drift... From there we walked the nice run of Ace Hole, had it pretty much to ourselves, but no steelhead there either. From there we went to the staircase, again had it pretty much to ourselves, but no steelies. Oh well. Ended the day showing Bri the hatchery - always a good time. I will put some pics of that up here in a bit.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: My 1st trip to the SR ... 2009/10/19 15:38:47 (permalink)
    Short rest before we cross the river and hike to another spot

the hatchery stuffed with salmonids

Jump to: