Laser Fly

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/15 08:27:13 (permalink)

Laser Fly

There have been a lot of requests for this fly since it was posted sometime last year, so here it is. I'm sure there are many variations, but this is the method that was taught to me by a guy who was a good friend of the originator of the pattern (and the material). The laser yarn is now kind of hard to find, and several people have suggested more common synthetics to replace it. For my part, I've always just used the real stuff, so I cant say whether there are any materials out there that would serve as good. Some have suggested glo-bug yarn, and this, I feel pretty certain, would not work. Its just a completely different texture. While I am a tier that likes to suggest alternatives, this may be one pattern where you really do just have to have the right stuff.

Sorry about the truly horrendous image quality. I took roughly triple the amount of shots seen here and the force wasn't strong with me. Maybe I'll try again soon and replace the shots, but for now, they give you a decent visual aid as to what's going on. Just pretend that Monet does my visuals.

Anyway, here it is:

Laser Fly

Materials:

Hook: Mustad 36890, Size 8
Thread: 8/o Uni-thread, black
Tail: Laser Tail
Body: Laser yarn, usually 2 colors

Instructions:

1. Place hook in vise, start thread, and move to roughly the midpoint of the shank.

2. Tie in laser tail, then untwist fibers. You can rub the fibers between your fingers to “fluff them out”.

3. Start tying in small pinches of laser yarn at the midpoint of the shank. The key here is to keep the bulk at the shank to a minimum. Use only two wraps per pinch of thread tied down. Try to minimize the amount of laser yarn in front of your tie down point. Basically, get a little bit of laser yarn, do two wraps, then pull the laser yarn away from the fly. The fibers that were tied down will become part of the body, and the loose fibers will be pulled free.

4. Continue tying in small clumps of laser yarn immediately in front of the previous one, forming a body as you progress toward the eye. Smaller clumps will actually make for a fuller body, as tying in a large clump will greatly increase bulk, as well as the wraps needed to secure it. Keep the amounts tied in small, and tie in as many small clumps as you can by moving forward slowly. Each tie-in should be only two wraps of thread, on top of one another, and not take up much space.

5. When you are almost close enough to the eye to finish the fly, switch colors, to a contrasting color, and tie in 2-5 pinches of that color using the same method as before. At this point, if there are unruly fibers projecting out over the eye, trim them as close to your thread wraps as you can. Whip finish, cement if desired, and stroke back the fibers.

The finished fly. This one is actually a bit fuller than I normally like to tie them, preferring a body more like the size of just the gold portion, but with the red stripe incorporated. The fly's creator felt that the second color was a necessary part of the fly. I agree, noting how much the contrast enhances the appearance. With a good selection of laser yarn, the color combinations are nearly endless.
post edited by Cold - 2009/10/15 08:31:56

17 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 10:13:13 (permalink)
    Cold, thanks alot for posting this...real fine job buddy...great tute. I know I'm having trouble finding lazer yarn also. Again many thanks.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

gutta percha
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 10:27:34 (permalink)
    Is the laser tail just white laser yarn, or a different product?  Thanks in advance
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 10:50:17 (permalink)
    Laser tail is a different product. I actually think it comes in different colors as well, but I'm not certian.

Thanks for the tutorial Cold. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 11:00:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gutta percha

Is the laser tail just white laser yarn, or a different product?  Thanks in advance

No, Laser tail is a different matierial completely, though it is/was produced by the same manufacturer, "Steel Ed's".

To my knowledge, it only is made in white (not saying definitely, but I've only ever heard of it in white). However, I'd imagine you could rectify that through the skillful use of a Prismacolor or Sharpie.

The tail is one area where you might be able to substitute effectively...Uni-floss, krystal flash, even golden pheasant crest would all probably work, though with a very different look to it.

No idea what's up with that rotated pic. I'll have to beat it with a stick at some point.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 13:54:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: killdeer19

Laser tail is a different product. I actually think it comes in different colors as well, but I'm not certian.

No problem man, was a quick tutorial to do. I forgot who it was that asked for the tutorial when this section was created. If I'd have remembered, I'd have tracked you down at the One Fly. Maybe we'll end up in Erie at the same time later this season. You have any trouble finding laser yarn?
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 18:14:24 (permalink)
    Nicely done!!  But, your head is too big.  lol 

fly fish....save a worms life
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/15 19:37:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Green Weenie

Nicely done!!  But, your head is too big.  lol 

Thanks! And yes, I know it is. I had a little too much gold sticking out in front, so I snipped it, and then I had too much bulk. I DID think of you saying about the head when I put the picture up, though.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/16 10:21:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: killdeer19

No problem man, was a quick tutorial to do. I forgot who it was that asked for the tutorial when this section was created. If I'd have remembered, I'd have tracked you down at the One Fly. Maybe we'll end up in Erie at the same time later this season. You have any trouble finding laser yarn?

Yea, I forgot you were the one who was going to put it up or ai would have asked you then. I've found most of the colors I've been looking for. The only color I can't find is white.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/16 10:33:35 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure they made white. They DO have a very light dun however, which I plan to pick up in the future. I think dark green over light dun with a olive polar fiber and peacock overwing would make a nice, simple emerald shiner. Maybe a collar of red chickabou...
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/16 13:26:21 (permalink)
    Good stuff Cold!

Got a question? In a sense it might take away from this thread though, apologize if it does. Has anyone tried the Senyo's Lazer Yarn? Is it similiar to the original (Steel-eds) laser yarn? It's hard to find the laser yarn sometimes. I have found one similiar material to it, but it still isn't the same.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/16 13:34:00 (permalink)
    I haven't used it.

If you send me some I will tie some with it and let you know, though.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/16 14:09:10 (permalink)
    Haven't used the Senyo stuff yet either. If I had some I would send some to ya What I found that was a similiar but still not the same is a product made by Hareline called pseudo marabou.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/16 19:48:19 (permalink)
    They did make a pure white.
     I still have a bunch of this stuff hanging around.

Cold, The original recipe called for tying in a clump of yarn before adding the tail. But, i'm pretty sure it doesn't make much of a difference either way.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/19 10:59:58 (permalink)
    if anyone has some white and is willing to part with it, send me a PM.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/19 11:21:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for both clarifications, dano.

That powder blue looks like it'd be killer in just-slightly-colored conditions, in the hours surrounding dawn & dusk.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/10/30 08:47:50 (permalink)
    just to follow up on this Senyo's laser yarn is some really good material.  It can be used as dubbings, wings, and heads on sculpins almost like wool.  Very versatile and very good looking underwater,  I would highly suggest getting some.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Laser Fly 2009/11/03 11:20:20 (permalink)
    Killdeer,
    I've been looking around for some more white. No luck so far.
    Folly's End has a bunch of other colors and a tub full of tailing material.

Senyo's Laser Dub is nice stuff and is a mixture of ice dub and synthetic fibers. It could be used as a substitute but it's not the same. It's not as soft/fine nor fluorescent as the original.
    Jump to: