Author
KayderossZ
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/08 18:05:13 (permalink)

Long Weekend

SO....

What are the plans for the long weekend everyone?  I'm headed north with a buddy who has never fresh water fished.  Camping, fishing, hiking etc.  Hoping to get him hooked into his first trout.  Either way I'll be in the 'Dacks in October, drinking cold beer and dreaming of trout.

Showing up is 88% of life!

9 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/08 18:26:16 (permalink)
    My only long weekend has been sick as heck since tues (fever & chills). I think the last weeks weather of 7 days in the rain took it's toll.
    Wish I could get out for last chance brookie but ain't going to happen.
    Look up GW not far from the other place and know it is fishing well. A steep hike but it will be worth it.
    As for patterns , all the usual, nothing new.

Good luck and show us the pic's when you get back...
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/10/09 07:51:22

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/08 18:52:51 (permalink)
    Was hoping to get in a short trip both days, but helping shingle a roof Sat now ... plan to get down to my Res boat on the Ashokan, maybe see if if i can troll up a monster trout ?? If they are not willing to bite i should be able to hit up some of those crazy Smallies

BB
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/08 20:24:11 (permalink)
    BB I always heard that that place has excellent smallie fishing, and have always wanted to go there. What did you have to do to put a boat down there?
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/09 00:47:47 (permalink)
    BB I always heard that that place has excellent smallie fishing, and have always wanted to go there. What did you have to do to put a boat down there?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/press_releases/98-04pr.shtml

It seems like a lot but over all the whole process is not that bad. Check out the link but here is a quick version ... shoot away with any questions at all.

-1st you need to get a DEP fishing permit, it's free and you can fill it out online and print out in 5mins. 

-For a boat you need fill out additional forms right online, make an appointment to have it steam cleaned & documented with DEP and then you leave at the res.
    They have designated boat yard where you leave the boat ALL year and keep it chained up when not in use. It is a huge body of water that is split in 2 by a  
    spillway. When you go there for appt they are very helpful and supply you with maps and such (not avail ahead of time) but i have a few i copied.

-As for the fishing, weill it's ROW ONLY ! Not even elec motors, so forget it if it's going to be windy at all. There are a lot of coves, cliffs, rocks and such. Very
    Smallie friendly living conditions  , it is loaded with them but i have lacked to find size ??? There are big browns & rainbows, some walleyes and pan fish too.
    I have yet to even try and target anything else. In fact i put the boat there to have a close to home smallie spot. Have only caught one LMB (i'm in the lower 
    basin) supposedly the upper has a better LM population. But we have had 50+ smallies in a trip before.  

-You can only put Alum boats, Min 12' long, has to be a jon or v-bottom ... NO canoes or kyaks. I picked up an old boat for a few hundred bucks over the winter
    just for the pupose of putting there. Since you have to leave it there 365 there is always the chance it could get damaged or stolen, so i would not put 
    anything new.

The scenery is stunning, and everything is FREE, the whole process ... except for having to buy another boat. Unless you already have one kicking around ? It does NOT have to be NYS registered, the DEP has there own serial # and stickers for it.

Last year was the 1st full year i had mine there, i learned last fall that the water levels change A LOT !
    I went during the summer, didn't return until Oct/Nov to find a bunch of the coves i previously fished were no longer there, it was crazy. Had to carry the boat a little further down to the water, but still plenty of structure to fish.

If you have any questions at all , let me know.

BB
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/10/09 00:54:56
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/09 06:29:20 (permalink)
    BB,
    If you can try fishing right at the mouth of the esopus, those big trout have been entering the stream so I am sure there are some stagged at the mouth, big browns and big bows, not quite lake ontario fish, but there are definatly some that are bigger then 5lbs.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/09 11:29:00 (permalink)
    T.G.I. effin' F.!!!

I am headed down to Long Beach Island, NJ for the long weekend for an annual fishing getaway for Striper and Blues.  This will be the 'Fourth Annual' Columbus Day Weekend down there with an old childhood freind.

We used to fish Newport, RI during the same October Weekend every year starting in 1994...

Then he moved to Brooklyn and got married, so we'd fish Columbus Day Weekend out of Sandy Hook, NJ...

Now he and his wife bought a house on Barnaget Bay, so we've shifted to drifting live bunker in the Inlet, or trolling giant plugs for Blues along the beaches...

It never fails to be a good time, even when the fishing sucks.  Weather is looking pretty cherry for the Jersey Shore Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday.  Seas expected at 1-2ft for Sunday, which means we can blast out of the Inlet and get a few shots at the big boys marauding their way down the coast for the "Fall Blitz".

Can't wait.  I've been looking forward to this all summer...  Bring on the mini-kegs!!!!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/09 12:26:51 (permalink)
    No long weekend for me, infact doing both my job and my bosses job today and monday

Ahh well,

Saturday, going smallie fishing, hammered 'em last week, gonna try it again

Sunday - either trout fishing or scouting for bow hunting.

All pumped about next saturday though - going for steel!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/09 19:44:51 (permalink)
    Well looks my Res trip plans are on hold ... they changed the wind forecast both days to 15-mphs !
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Long Weekend 2009/10/09 20:01:40 (permalink)
    I know the feelin Brian, I just wish I'd of checked the weather before i loaded the boat. lol

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Jump to: