Trout questions / input ?

Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/05 13:39:29 (permalink)

Trout questions / input ?

I have lots of questions and just looking for input, there are no wrong answers  

I grew up small stream fishing Trout, but outside of that my catching of Trout species is very limited. I have trolled a few small local lakes with good results, and just started ice fishing for Lakers a year ago. I know the stream fish go nuts once hooked, and those Lakers are very strong and hit very hard.

Here are my best (nothing special) ...

-Brown 19.5" (from stream) / 15" (from lake)
-Rainbow 14.5" ... i have only got 2 ever (one from stream, one from lake)
-Laker 26" (through the ice)
-Brookie  Never caught one
-Salmon  Never caught one (i know a Salmon is not really from the Trout family too)  

So i see post like RJ's recent one and i'm in AWE of those monster fish  

I know the river and fly fishing guys it's more about the journy and the hunt of of them.
Fishing from the boat must be just as fun ?

I know what a 25lb Striper is like (after one good run it's just weight and stays down) but a 20lb + fish going air borne and drag screaming has got to be nuts !!!!

All of those fish look like strong and fun to catch.

What species is the most fun in you opinion ?
Funniest way to fish for them ?
Why ?

Not like i need another species to start chasing around NY and i dont want to have to change my name either LOL

Slow Monday here i guess.

Thanks,
BB

10 Replies Related Threads

Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/05 15:21:48 (permalink)
    I have only spent +/- 3 years targeting trout (ocassional salmon) in smaller lakes and ponds. My favorite fish has to be a large rainbow trout in late Fall. Their colors tend to get more intense, they are more agressive, and have put on some winter bulk! The weirdest way to catch trout i have ever seen is using a pinwheel. I'm not sure if it was homemade or store bought but i saw a guy trolling spoons in late fall with a pinwheel ( for lack of better term) attached to the side of his boat that was part in the water. his line ran through it and have it a rhythmic pulling action. It seemed to do him OK.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/05 16:07:42 (permalink)
    Brian,
        I myself have only done the small stream thing for trout with about the same results as you with the exception of a 12" brookie to my credit and no luck ice fishing for lakers last year. I went salmon fishing for the first time last year. I landed a 17 pounder on my very first cast. After that pardon the pun but I was "Hooked". I have had bass and pike jump during a fight but the first time I saw a salmon "leap" out of the water and slam back to the water with a sound like a Clint Eastwood punch, I was in total awe. My jaw just hit the ground. It is a total test of your fish fighting abilities like no other I have had. All I can say is if you have the chance to go take it. I'm going out in about 2 weeks for 3 or 4 days and I can't wait.
                       Tight Lines Mate...Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/05 17:05:12 (permalink)
    I'v caught em all BB and everything in the trout family is awesome in my opinion. Here's my breakdown

Browns-kind of like smallies, may run, may jump, but mostly fight hard on the bottom

Rainbows- great acrobats and can make some huge runs

Brookies-okay fighters, but awesome colored fish in awesome places

Chinooks-just don't stop-they never seem to stop fighting, not really jumpers just don't stop and normally the heaviest trout or salmon you'll ever catch.

Steelies-just like rainbows but super charged, awesome fish.

Atlantic salmon-the best fight around-they are the king of fish on my list and the biggest I've ever caught was about 23 inches about 6-7lbs and I've caught many fish bigger, but that was the best.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/05 21:02:43 (permalink)
    A Salmon (Pacific species) is well a salmon.. Aside from the monster head shakes when properly caught (think of shark week when those sharks are thrashing their heads while grabbing that chunk of meat tied to the rope) they just run and you hold on then pull and they run and you pull.
    Now to me one of the best fighting trout is a Chrome (fall) steelhead, they are called silver bullets for a good reason. When they are hooked they go completely balistic, from air borne to ripping off line in a split second. They are of the Rainbow family and study shows a rainbow trout is the hardest fighting freshwater fish.
    If you ever get a steelhead no matter fall or spring on it is the Tops !!!

Next I would have to say for their size next is a pond>lake Brook trout.. They don't fight much at first but once they know they are not getting away they just turn on the twisting & turning and never give up, reason why a net is need from a boat(raft)

After that I must say with the 25 or less I have caught (reason they are probably not #1) are Landlocked Salmon. Boy these are also strong strong fish and I sure wish we had a better fishery for them.

BB if you think a striper fights hard (and they do) but they are nothing compared to the top 2, Salmon & Steelhead.

We got to get you out on the Great Lakes sometime.
    Heck Even those trout up in the ADK's are pretty good scrappers on light tackle..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/06 09:05:41 (permalink)
    Steelhead for sure and RJ hit it right on the nose.  My favorite spot for steelhead is Lake Michigan @ Port of Indiana.  Fish from shore with great public access and plenty of room.  Man when they hit you feel like they aren't going to stop until they reach Canada.
    Never caught a Pacific Salmon, but my next best would be a rainbow.  They also put on quite an aerial battle once they are hooked.  I'm sure that many would be surprised to know my best rainbows are out of Moreau Lake and now is the time to get them.  They feed on the surface like crazy during October/November getting filled up before it ices over.  Use 2 lb. test line with a #18 or #20 mosquito dry fly and hang on.  All of mine are C & R, so I know there are some good ones still over there.

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2009/10/06 09:07:04
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/06 10:14:19 (permalink)
    I say "Chromers" too, Brian...  I think they'd be right up your alley... 

If you think a 7lb Largie can pull and fight, wait 'till you tie into a Metalhead in high water...  Jeezus...

They are like crackheads- totally bonkers.

I was out on the Eastern Lake "O" tribs on Sunday and my stepbrother was visiting from Norfolk.  He's got a Navy buddy who bought a house right on the river and they hammer 'em for two weeks every Fall as a vacation.  The river is packed with Salmon- but we got into a LOT of STEELHEAD too.  Also, my buddy Chris lost a monster Brown that was every bit of 15lbs.  Check out this Chromer from the weekend:

Anyway- my bro gave me his 12' "Noodle Rod" for float fishing and I bet you'd dial right in on that.

Then you can skip the fly rod/chuck n' duck all together.  It's super fun.

I think you'd really like Steelhead, man.  Salmon fishing?  Probably not so much.

Look at the crowd in the distance here at the "Town Pool".  But also note:  "our" stretch of river behind my buddy's house is all posted (he's got 400+ ft) and there are cliffs downriver that keep everyone out.  It makes life a lot easier when you are 50ft from a flush toilet, cold refirgerator, and comfy couch:

If you want some small stream trout- you can do that anywhere around here.  Even your dearl lil' Onesquathaw (though I haven't fished it since May!)

Come by my office for lunch and we can get out even before the season wraps up next week.  I've got the tiny "microlights" and all the small Panther Martin spinners we'd ever need.  Maybe we can ever get a fly rod in those hands of yours?

After we go to Pixies for lunch, of course
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/06 11:32:46 (permalink)
    Great info guys ... keep it coming.

I just thought of another question , what is considered a solid or benchmark size fish in the different species ?

Thanks again (i am learning)

Brian

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/06 13:16:58 (permalink)
    Hey Jimmy, that spot there between the long and short bridge...that is one of my favorite spots on the river. Everyone fishes the big holes under either bridge, but almost no one works the run in between. I fish it from the other side though...much easier to walk fish down.
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/06 16:13:55 (permalink)
    man BB, just a warning trout fishing can be a real addiction, and it may even cut into your bass fishin time.

I think any smaller stream trout you catch, a legitimate 12" fish is a nice one, but that's the great thing about trout, they can get huge. I've been lucky enough to do a fair share of stream electroshocking and some small streams can have fish well over 20". On bigger streams and rivers the average can get much bigger, like some of the catskill rivers an average fish is 14-16".

In the lakes they get even bigger, on Lake ontario I've seen browns up to 29lbs and chinooks close to 40. As far as what's considered a good fish out of any lake, tough to say but maybe around 16-18".

Trout are eating machines, especially if they can find suitable water year round, like in deep lakes. In lake ontario, those 30+lb chinooks are around 4 years old, and those 20lb browns are around 3 years, I just think that is pretty cool stuff.
    post edited by jkbugger - 2009/10/06 16:16:17

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    dwaytkus
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Trout questions / input ? 2009/10/13 20:38:45 (permalink)
    I am a bigtime fly fisherman, and a big time ice fisherman. I love catching the 15"-20" stream browns on my fly rod and I also am addicted to lakers on my jig stick through the ice. And Lance put me onto a fish this past spring that was a bull. I got a 16lb striper, my first. What a fight!!!
    Jump to: